Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
f8h f8h started this thread

1 posts, read 9,936 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to NY from Orange County in CA. I have been offered a job at a hospital in Oceanside. We are trying to look for available apartments in Oceanside and the nearby cities. So far, there have only been vacancies in Hempstead, Bayshore, Far Rockaway, Freeport and Valley Stream. Can anyone tell me about these cities? Which one would be the most ideal for a married couple in their 30's? We're looking for a quiet, safe neighborhood, with adequate parking and a short commute to Oceanside.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8h View Post
I have been offered a job at a hospital in Oceanside.

For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside:

Oceanside is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Oceanside in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Rockville Centre; on the east by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor; on the south by the Hamlet of Barnum Island; and, on the west by the Village of Hewlett Bay Park and the Village of East Rockaway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Oceanside-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Oceanside has a different border than does the "Oceanside, NY 11572" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and a place can be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and have other than an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address): there are places in the Hamlet of Oceanside that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Out of all the towns you mentioned, I would say Valley Stream is your best choice. Any kids that will attend the public schools?

Bayshore is too far for a short commute.

The rest of the towns are not so great. Parts of Freeport is nice but the schools are not so.

Look in Merrick, Bellmore or Wantagh...........

Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 16,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Out of all the towns you mentioned, I would say Valley Stream is your best choice. Any kids that will attend the public schools?

Bayshore is too far for a short commute.

The rest of the towns are not so great. Parts of Freeport is nice but the schools are not so.

Look in Merrick, Bellmore or Wantagh...........
Valley Stream is changing rapidly. It isn't as good as it used to be. I'd steer clear.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrabby View Post
Valley Stream is changing rapidly. It isn't as good as it used to be. I'd steer clear.
Changing rapidly to WHAT? Why should they steer clear?

Moderator cut: comment
The school system has a very good rating. When school lets out, you can see the kids are not ghetto maniacs running wild. The VS schools have had finalists in the big HS science contests too. VS has good programs for the arts, including a collaboration with American Ballet Theatre for students interested in dance.

I would not be afraid to recommend Valley Stream as a good place to rent.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-05-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: you made it racist.. anyone can post no matter where they live

Old 04-01-2008, 03:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
I agree with what's been said, if you've got kids Valley Stream has the best schools (by far) out of all of those. If not, you can get a lot more for your money in Freeport since the schools are rough. The nicest parts of Freeport are south of Atlantic Avenue and the area on the west side generally known as "Stearn's Park" - which actually is in the Baldwin SD (much better schools). Other parts of Freeport have some issues and are more run down. Hempstead and Far Rockaway are the hood when it comes to Long Island, though even those have some nice parts.

The commute from any of these, except Bay Shore, is literally ten minutes or so. The traffic in western Nassau is pretty bad but they're all right on top of each other. Parking isn't a problem in any of these areas, it's crowded but not like NYC. Like Kbinspections mentioned there are plenty of other areas along the south shore that are likely in your price range too....you go a mile anywhere in Nassau and you're in a completely different neighborhood, there's a lot of em....grab a map and start punching those names into craigslist.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Valley Stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would not be afraid to recommend Valley Stream as a good place to rent.

For those who may not be familiar with Valley Stream:

Valley Stream is a village (incorporated in 1925) in the western part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County, along the Nassau County/New York City (County/Borough of Queens) line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Valley Stream in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; on the east by the Village of Malverne, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Hewlett; on the south by the Hamlet of Hewlett, the Hamlet of Woodmere and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream; and, on the west by the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and New York City (County/Borough of Queens).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Valley-stream-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Valley Stream is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Freeport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
... (Y)ou can get a lot more for your money in Freeport ...

For those who may not be familiar with Freeport:

Freeport is a village (incorporated in 1892) in the south-center part of the Town of Hempstead, in the south-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Freeport is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Roosevelt; on the east by the Hamlet of Merrick; on the south by the Hamlet of Merrick and the East Channel; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor and the Hamlet of Baldwin.

The Village of Freeport has a different border than does the "Freeport, NY 11520" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address and not be in the Village of Freeport): places with a "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address that are not in the Village of Freeport are in the Hamlet of Merrick, the Hamlet of Roosevelt and the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM

85 posts, read 415,349 times
If you want quiet and safe stay away from Hempstead and Far Rockaway. Other suggestions: Seaford, Massapequa, Bellmore, West Hempstead.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM

62 posts, read 239,985 times
I would hesitate to consider any of those towns you mentioned. However, Jt1775 has some good suggestions. Also, Rockville Centre is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island