Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
So you lived near the intersection with the mailbox and the traffic light that was installed about 20-25 years ago. I know it well. It's not Glen Oaks, its New Hyde Park for all purposes. What years were you there?

I was a little kid, but it was probably from 1980-1984.
I remember there was no traffic light at the time, and there literally was a t-bone crash at that intersection once a week. Good to here they finally put a light there.

I know its not Glen Oaks, because growing up, I only knew of it as NHP.
But in real life, every time I mentioned I lived in NHP Queens people keep telling me it doesn't exist.

I'm glad city data is confirming I'm not crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 22,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There is a small area in Queens generally referred to as part of New Hyde Park with the same zip code

Geography
"New Hyde Park is located at 40°43′56″N 73°41′05″W.[6]

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it being land.

The incorporated Village of New Hyde Park lies both in the Town of Hempstead and the Town of North Hempstead in Nassau County, with Jericho Turnpike being the border between the two. Unincorporated areas of New Hyde Park lie in the Town of North Hempstead in Nassau County with small portions located in Queens County.

Referred to by residents as New Hyde Park, the census-designated place (CDP) of North New Hyde Park also lies in the Town of North Hempstead, with small areas crossing over the county border into Queens. It also uses the New Hyde Park postal code, 11040."
Oooh you know what, I think I know exactly where that area would be. Over by the hospital right near the northern border? I could be totally wrong lol.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I was a little kid, but it was probably from 1980-1984.
I remember there was no traffic light at the time, and there literally was a t-bone crash at that intersection once a week. Good to here they finally put a light there.
Yep I remember one bad accident there soon after I moved here. Actually all of Langdale has had additional safety features added. At 81st ave they made it a four way stop sign after a bad accident about 30 years ago and just a year ago they put four speed bumps between 81st and 83rd avenues.

The light at the intersection of Langdale and 80th is not a standard traffic light. It is activated by sensors and has a delay whereby all traffic can have a red signal for 15-30 seconds (and it's not the type they have now to give pedestrians a head start). There's also a red light camera in one direction there and it's one of the first installed in Queens. I don't know if it still works or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island