Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenizo22 View Post
If you are looking for more space and LIRR convenience, you could get an expanded Levitt ranch in Hicksville for around 450K and 7K - 9K in taxes.

Schools are decent and it is a 40 minute commute to the city on the express train (Hicksville LIRR has so many more trains than the south). you pay $100 to park in the LIRR LOT every TWO years. my friend in VS pays $450 every year.

if you are looking for more space and basement, easy above 500K in any town.
That's a non-resident fee. It's 40 Dollars per year for VS residents. Last year it was 30 dollars and before that it was 20 Dollars every 2 years. VS offers a lot of stuff for the kiddies. It's a trade-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 08:47 PM

145 posts, read 227,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
Sell.

Make a killing.

Get off of LI altogether.

Best advice all day.

Not when he’s vested so much time teaching in the city. He’s going into his third year, with the extra work he puts in, he brings in 100k. Nowhere you move will start you on as high of a salary step, so you end up being worse off. Plus he will lose his retro pay. For something like 10 years he gets 7k every October.

It’s just very hard for teachers to move. I wish we could but it won’t happen until retirement.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
Not when he’s vested so much time teaching in the city. He’s going into his third year, with the extra work he puts in, he brings in 100k. Nowhere you move will start you on as high of a salary step, so you end up being worse off. Plus he will lose his retro pay. For something like 10 years he gets 7k every October.

It’s just very hard for teachers to move. I wish we could but it won’t happen until retirement.
Teachers and public servants with union benefits are best off making the most of it now and retiring off LI after their 20-25 years of service.

Then they can benefit from the equity in their home, move to a lower COL part of the country and start a second career if desired while getting a good pension with benefits.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Teachers and public servants with union benefits are best off making the most of it now and retiring off LI after their 20-25 years of service.

Then they can benefit from the equity in their home, move to a lower COL part of the country and start a second career if desired while getting a good pension with benefits.
Have a neighbor who did just that....years ago. Put in his 25 years in NYC schools. Bought in my neighborhood when it was being built, he wasn't even retired from NYC yet.
Came down here and taught another 25 years while collecting his pension, got his wife and kids into teaching so they got jobs at good schools here.
He retired again so now he's got two pensions and sold his house here for twice what he paid for it.
That's the way to work your civil service job, not sure the math works anymore though.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post

It's not 10 years, there is 3 years left on retro pay 18,19,20. These next 3 years are the highest payouts! These next 3 years are double last year. My wifes a city teacher, I know more about her benefits,contract,pension,annuity than she does. Make sure he is maxing out his TDA (if possible)

Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Scammers!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 AM

145 posts, read 227,012 times
Quote:

That’s the plan

Old 08-15-2018, 05:33 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
If you’re late for the train you can just hop the fence.

And if you’re depressed living in VS you can just hop the fence and step in front of the train.
Thankfully, I am not among them, but I do have friends who have dealt with the collateral loss from a suicide and your comment is just not funny.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:41 AM

35 posts, read 32,660 times
Quote:
If you’re late for the train you can just hop the fence.

And if you’re depressed living in VS you can just hop the fence and step in front of the train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Thankfully, I am not among them, but I do have friends who have dealt with the collateral loss from a suicide and your comment is just not funny.

Ok, Ok internet PC police....Relax a bit...this is a forum and from time to time you'll be exposed to various opinions and comments that you may or may not like. Humor is subjective and I'm sure nothing was meant by it other than being a light-hearted joke.

Come to think of it, a friend of mine has a relative who receives psychiatric treatment and I find your use of "nuts" in your screen name to be insensitive. Get the point?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEW3 View Post
Ok, Ok internet PC police....Relax a bit...this is a forum and from time to time you'll be exposed to various opinions and comments that you may or may not like. Humor is subjective and I'm sure nothing was meant by it other than being a light-hearted joke.

Come to think of it, a friend of mine has a relative who receives psychiatric treatment and I find your use of "nuts" in your screen name to be insensitive. Get the point?

Not really. Sorry, I don't think suicide is either a joke or lighthearted and find nothing humorous about it. As I said, I would not wish the collateral damage caused by suicide on anyone. It is a life time sentence of guilt for many and at best a lot of therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island