Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 54,252 times

Advertisements

Has anyone obtained a good speech therapist through the Committee on Preschool Special Ed (CPSE) program in Nassau County? I called up practically every agency on the school list and it seems like there are no speech therapists that works in the CPSE program. I know the CPSE program does not pay as well (half) as the Early Intervention program but there has to be therapists that care about speech delayed kids and not concerned about the pay. There has got to be speech therapists out there, good ones, that work with the program. Please recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,754,980 times
We needed a speech therapist for my 2nd grader. He wouldnt get the services as it does not affect his learning.
We had to get someone privately in Suffolk County. We pay $20 for 30 mins twice a week.

d

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM

185 posts, read 1,212,896 times
Contact CooperKids Therapy. They are located in Syosset. Our child receives services in queens which has been arranged through their offices. Once we relocate to long island in the next 2 months we will continue using them. They are pretty reliable. good luck

Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
Contact CooperKids Therapy. They are located in Syosset. Our child receives services in queens which has been arranged through their offices. Once we relocate to long island in the next 2 months we will continue using them. They are pretty reliable. good luck

They told me their therapists do not go offsite. I work full time so it would be hard to go to their office. I currently have one going to the day care but not thrilled about her and want to change.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We needed a speech therapist for my 2nd grader. He wouldnt get the services as it does not affect his learning.
We had to get someone privately in Suffolk County. We pay $20 for 30 mins twice a week.

d

How did you find this private tutor? That's another problem I'm having. I would like addition lessons for my child but no one seems to do it or they can't recommend someone.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:48 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,754,980 times
Go to the local schools and talk to the teacher. My sons 2nd grade teacher knew of a speech therapist that came into the school and asked her if she was interested in doing some private tutoring. She was, and also picked up a second child to tutor. I had the same problem ; made lots of calls, but nobody returned the calls.

Good luck

The library may have some, or the local preschools, or the local grade schools may have someone that they know who does it.
d

Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,525 times
Default cpse/csespeech pathologist

Hi.
Just called your Director of Special Education in your district. They should have a few names or even a list for you to call. If none of those professionals are available, call your Director of Special Education back and tell them. They will help you. That is their job and sometimes, they can call an agency and get a service provider before we can.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 61,383 times
Good luck with your search. It is always difficult at this time of the year to find a county approved therapist because many of their caseloads are full. I am in Suffolk and in some districts the social worker or psychologist associated with the CPSE can help with the process. Hope it all works for you

Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym12 View Post
Hi.
Just called your Director of Special Education in your district. They should have a few names or even a list for you to call. If none of those professionals are available, call your Director of Special Education back and tell them. They will help you. That is their job and sometimes, they can call an agency and get a service provider before we can.

Good Luck!!

Yes, they gave me a 10 page list and I called everyone of them. I'm going to try the list again for the summer and new school year. I think I even told them that I was having trouble finding one but I wasn't finished calling everyone on the list yet at the time.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Yes, you are right it would be difficult to find a speech therapist now but I'm getting ready to make the switch for the summer and the next school year. The social service was not that helpful and reluctant to refer an agent. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island