Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,218,675 times

Advertisements

Dang, I thought you were talking about Veterans, not veterinarians! Had me scared for a moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
$450 for euthanasia is very expensive unless prices are way higher for a dog than a cat. Price for a cat was about $170 (not a home visit). Also an additional $450 just to return the ashes is way high. I think I was quoted about a third of that or less.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM

112 posts, read 248,977 times
Hi I went through this a year ago this Sunday. I had two numbers for vets who will come to your home. We actually called one vet the day we decided to put our girl down, the vet called and said he was running a little late, and by the time he was supposed to leave his previous appointment our dog died. We called the cet and cancelled

If you need some numbers in Suffolk County, Private Message me

Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
Hi I went through this a year ago this Sunday. I had two numbers for vets who will come to your home. We actually called one vet the day we decided to put our girl down, the vet called and said he was running a little late, and by the time he was supposed to leave his previous appointment our dog died. We called the cet and cancelled

Just curious, what did you do with the dog's remains?

Old 09-26-2018, 11:12 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post

I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope your dog didn't suffer. yes, I'll PM you. Someone recommended island vet group in west islip and they gave the numbers for a couple other vets because island vets dont travel beyond a small geo area but if you are in that area - they are a good source for pet owners to note.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
$450 for euthanasia is very expensive unless prices are way higher for a dog than a cat. Price for a cat was about $170 (not a home visit). Also an additional $450 just to return the ashes is way high. I think I was quoted about a third of that or less.
we were quoted nearly $400 for euthenasia - in office and private cremation with ashes returned - euthasia included tranquilizer injection then injection of anesthesia od without intubation which I didn't want and felt was unnecessarily torturing the poor dying animal.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM

112 posts, read 248,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Just curious, what did you do with the dog's remains?
We prepared a spot in our yard once we decided what we were going to do that morning .

It was a tough decision, one our family and our breeder all agreed it was time. We called one if the two vets on my list, the first one agreed to come to our home that evening. I believe the cost was $175 and he offered to take her body, dispose or cremate her for an additional fee.

Within minutes of when the grave was finished, our dog passed on her own. The timing was surreal, and it was also a few minutes before the sun went down which added another feel to the whole day.

As we brought her outside the vet called to say he was running a late and just leaving his previous appointment, so we were able to cancel our appointment.

We were lucky to her pass at home and not in a cold sterile vets office. The other positive thing was our other dog was by her side the whole time, which was best for both of them. He seemed to understand on some level something happened and was not looking for her every two minutes like when we just took her to the vet by herself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island