U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 PM

251 posts, read 534,871 times

Advertisements

A lot of truth to this. I'm in IT on Long Island, and I've been at this company now for about 4.5 years with no plan currently to leave (There's only me and my assistant in the IT dept.). My last job on LI, I spent 12 years at, before getting a job in Manhattan. Ironically, when I went to work in the city, I only lasted 2 years before coming back to LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
There are jobs here on LI, its just that there are no openings because current IT workers dont leave (little turnover). I work at a large insurance company in Melville and our 3 IT guys (age range 36-64) have been here for decades. They like the job and have no intention of ever leaving due to good salary/benefits/hours. One of my high school friends never graduated college and works at an aerospace outfit in Farmingdale and does well for himself despite not having the degree (last I heard 100K with bonuses on top of that). He has been there 12 years and no plans of leaving.

Since the good jobs have low turnover, this may be a reason why you arent seeing openings. Another possibility is what salary range are you looking for? Higher salaries of course may require that awful NYC commute. If your current job isnt giving you annual raises, either management isnt happy with your performance, or you maxed out at the salary range for your title.. the other option is just to be happy you have a job and look for part time income (side hustles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 05:11 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,021,223 times
Op, what's keeping you on LI and why don't you take the good advice people gave here and leave? LI is mired in the past and sinking under its weight of high costs, low value and government debt.

You don't need to move to Silicon Valley to work in your field. Lots of technology jobs are moving from CA to second and third tier cities with lower costs.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:10 PM

8,743 posts, read 12,182,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It's all about the resume and then the interview and how you present yourself. I run the VMware environment, SAN, backups on and offsite and other bs as it pops up. I have no certs had 3 years VMware experience before this job and make over 100k. Higher paying jobs are out there, most will be in NYC. I have a personal rule if I work in the city and I can't walk to work form the train I won't take the job. If I went on a job interview and some one had certs vs me. I am very confident I would get hired as I have planned and implented VMware environments from scratch with a DR plan. Real world work trumps the piece of paper. With that said I will get the paper in next year since my job will pay for it.
I can't tell - are you on LI or NYC? If the latter, you better be making 6 figures to go out there everyday.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 PM

291 posts, read 202,140 times
Wages are severely depressed on Long Island for any job that is also available in NYC. It's all supply and demand. People accept much less money to not deal with the hellish commute to the city and employers exploit this.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:51 PM

10,347 posts, read 12,210,731 times
A new report says with the record low unemployment rates that employers can't find any employees.
Too many people with jobs now. Now they gotta up the stakes.
So there. Go get 'em tiger! Who cares if it's not IT or a chosen profession
Money is money and work is work..

Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 PM

202 posts, read 79,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruab View Post
Graduated college, working on certifications, been working the same terrible dead end IT job on Long Island for 4+ years..

There are almost z e r o IT jobs on the island, I can't live the life of commuting for 3+ hours a day to NYC and spending 400 on a train pass..

I've already done it, it made me a vile human being.

I've gotten more bites out of state for Information Technology / Engineer positions than I have on Long Island....and I've tried so hard to find anything.

What gives man, there's no corporations here.

Also.

Why are salaries here not even competitive to areas that are less expensive to live in? I'm fighting to make a decent wage and battling for positions against H1B employees...

**** is getting real old.

Debating on moving to Austin Texas or Colorado Springs.
Bro, just move to Bayside or Whitestone Queens. Just like LI but close to the city by LIRR. You can even keep a boat on the gold coast.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 8,858,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
My son is a college grad (Bucknell U.) with a BA in business administration/concentration in accounting. He moved to Minnespolis, MN, and found the area to have jobs, and housing is much more affordable and nicer overall. The only downside are the winters; but he thinks it's worth it to at least get a decent job.

There are zero good jobs here on LI with the exception of government jobs - public schools, DMV, library system, etc. If you have a government job here on LI you have it made by sucking off the rest of us for your salary and over bloated pension. Unless you have a gov't job, you need to leave LI and live some place where the cost of living is more in line with a decent salary.

It's been like this for the past 40 years - no exaggeration. I had an awful time years ago - couldn't turn up anything decent - just mom and pop garbage. At every job hunt I went on I was told I was over qualified. And you're right, there are no decent corporations here.

As unsolicited advice, try following up on some of those job offers in other cities/towns. There are better and less crowded places to live other than crappy, crowded unfriendly LI.
Go Bisons!

Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 AM

3,180 posts, read 8,858,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
Bro, just move to Bayside or Whitestone Queens. Just like LI but close to the city by LIRR. You can even keep a boat on the gold coast.
Bayside and Whitestone is cheap living?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:36 AM

974 posts, read 1,126,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
There are zero good jobs here on LI with the exception of government jobs - public schools, DMV, library system, etc. If you have a government job here on LI you have it made by sucking off the rest of us for your salary and over bloated pension. Unless you have a gov't job, you need to leave LI and live some place where the cost of living is more in line with a decent salary.
Oh boo hoo snowflake! I'm sure those government workers are all living in Sands Point and Upper Brookville.

Life is full of choices.

Stop blaming others for your failures!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,103 times
I'm applying out of state as we speak.

I'm hoping to go west.

Just have to get the girlfriend on board or have her make up her mind on what she wants to do.

I don't feel like dying on Long Island fighting for a reasonable wage against H1B applicants any longer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island