Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 09:50 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGlove View Post
Not true. In TOH you need a permit for any shed.

I did say "in most"...

TOH - in your case, it would appear you're talking about Town of Hempstead? TOH could also mean Town of Huntington...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:22 AM

87 posts, read 99,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I did say "in most"...

TOH - in your case, it would appear you're talking about Town of Hempstead? TOH could also mean Town of Huntington...
The OP stated they are Town of Hempstead so I am going off his post.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGlove View Post
The OP stated they are Town of Hempstead so I am going off his post.

You're right, my bad

Old 10-29-2018, 01:37 PM

14 posts, read 39,939 times
1) Setbacks are not my problem as second shed is between the permitted one and my house.
2) I needed more storage as I originally had 2 sheds on my property years prior.
3) FOIL request was the lady at the towns idea when I called so I said sure. She transferred me and when the next lady saw all the notes for the last 4 years (had to get 5 other permits) she said yea you should request this. I'll report if there is anything good on it as she said I should be getting it within a few days.

At this point I'm curious if anyone has gone through the variance process for a second shed?

I already have gotten 5 permits all by myself so I'm used to the process down there sort of.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:42 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8rpn View Post
1) Setbacks are not my problem as second shed is between the permitted one and my house.
2) I needed more storage as I originally had 2 sheds on my property years prior.
3) FOIL request was the lady at the towns idea when I called so I said sure. She transferred me and when the next lady saw all the notes for the last 4 years (had to get 5 other permits) she said yea you should request this. I'll report if there is anything good on it as she said I should be getting it within a few days.

At this point I'm curious if anyone has gone through the variance process for a second shed?

I already have gotten 5 permits all by myself so I'm used to the process down there sort of.
A variance is just a harder and longer process than getting a permit. If you can get a permit, you can get a variance. You need to show an honest need for the shed and that it is not negatively affecting your neighbors.

Now if you have a neighbor who hates you and is calling the town about your sheds, you have a problem.

Sounds like someone does not like you......and likes sending complaints to the town.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:49 PM

Yea someone definitely hates me that is for sure. I have a few prospects that it could be and I hope to confirm which when I receive the foil request. Although my close neighbors are fine with me.

I doubt I will get anyone to show for the process when it happens though. I have yet to be confronted face to face by anyone so I doubt they will have what it takes to appear when needed.

I guess here goes nothing, I will learn the variance process next!

Also just to get mine, I have just ordered a large motor home to park in my driveway. It may or may not be permanent that is to be determined based on if the complaints continue or not.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I went through the variance process but for a replacement central air unit on the side of my house. I have 2 new and only 1 had previously been permitted, so with a new unit, the side setback to the neighbor was once again the issue (finding this out was aggravating enough). The variance process was a lot of initial legwork involving getting the names to all the addresses within 100ft(?) of your property on all sides and advise them [via hand-delivered letter] of the issue so they can go contest it at court should they wish. You then show up at court in front of town officials and state why it's needed (wasn't much contention there). They also asked me to hide it from view of the street so I put a low fence around it and after some paperwork/time, variance approved.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I went through the variance process but for a replacement central air unit on the side of my house. I have 2 new and only 1 had previously been permitted, so with a new unit, the side setback to the neighbor was once again the issue (finding this out was aggravating enough). The variance process was a lot of initial legwork involving getting the names to all the addresses within 100ft(?) of your property on all sides and advise them [via hand-delivered letter] of the issue so they can go contest it at court should they wish. You then show up at court in front of town officials and state why it's needed (wasn't much contention there). They also asked me to hide it from view of the street so I put a low fence around it and after some paperwork/time, variance approved.
good information thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island