Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM

198 posts, read 779,354 times

Advertisements

we are a young family looking to rent in Patchogue. We already found an apartment, it is .4 miles away from the Harbor Crab restaurant and Marina- closer towards the south on River Ave.

We want to know considering that this is Suffolk , how does this area compare against other areas of Suffolk in regards to crime, convinience (shops, supermarkets, dry cleaners etc) , general quality of life.

Please do not compare it with Garden City or Manhasset or the like

As of right now the goal for this apartment is a max stay of 2 years while we finish our school and then we plan on moving out.

If you had to stay here for 1.5 to 2 years, would you say it is a fine place to live with two infants or would you have major reservations?

Both children will be attending daycare in Stony Brook University so daycare is not an issue and neither is public schools.

Please give your opinion.

Also, what is your opinion of the price for this area - 1125 / 900 square foot apartment with not all new appliances but normal apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Patchogue

The geography of Patchogue can be confusing because the majority of the places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address are not in the Village of Patchogue.

For those who may not be familiar with Patchogue:

Patchogue is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the southwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the south-center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Patchogue in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Patchogue; on the east by the Hamlet of East Patchogue; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Blue Point.

Patchogue is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address that are not in the Village of Patchogue are in the Hamlet of Blue Point, the Hamlet of North Patchogue, the Hamlet of East Patchogue, the Hamlet of North Bellport and the Village of Bellport; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Patchogue with a "Blue Point, NY 11715" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The geography of Patchogue can be confusing because the majority of the places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address are not in the Village of Patchogue.

For those who may not be familiar with Patchogue:

Patchogue is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the southwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the south-center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Patchogue in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Patchogue; on the east by the Hamlet of East Patchogue; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Blue Point.

Patchogue is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address that are not in the Village of Patchogue are in the Hamlet of Blue Point, the Hamlet of North Patchogue, the Hamlet of East Patchogue, the Hamlet of North Bellport and the Village of Bellport; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Patchogue with a "Blue Point, NY 11715" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

So would the area i mentioned be in actual patchogue or where? 200ish River Ave?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
So would the area i mentioned be in actual patchogue or where? 200ish River Ave?
The map of the Village of Patchogue (see above) indicates that it is.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 PM

157 posts, read 457,925 times
I live in patchogue (i own a co-op)... i think it is great. Like most towns, it really depends on the location inside the area. The area I am in is VERY nice. (Maybe not perfect, but I have yet to see perfect).

Picture a place that you can feel more then safe walking around, but you probably wouldnt have the cops called on you if you were walking your dog at night. (meaning some "nicer" area's are kinda supper oppresive?).

Know ur neighborhood, know a good hand full of blocks in every direction from where you live. If it seems good, i would say go for it. The town is great... lots of nice places to eat, nice and busy thursday - sunday.

I give me thumbs up for patchogue.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
I live in patchogue (i own a co-op)... i think it is great. Like most towns, it really depends on the location inside the area. The area I am in is VERY nice. (Maybe not perfect, but I have yet to see perfect).

Picture a place that you can feel more then safe walking around, but you probably wouldnt have the cops called on you if you were walking your dog at night. (meaning some "nicer" area's are kinda supper oppresive?).

Know ur neighborhood, know a good hand full of blocks in every direction from where you live. If it seems good, i would say go for it. The town is great... lots of nice places to eat, nice and busy thursday - sunday.

I think Patchogue is awesome

Its a shame the schools suck... it could be another Babylon or Sayville.

Its got alot to offer, but keep in mind youll most likely head North when your kids are ready for School unless they get it together.

Hats off to Mayor Pontieri.
The Village has come a long long way.

Crooks

Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post

what can you say specifically about the area of patochugue near that restaurant .. or Bayview apartments, i cant find any reviews of the place and keep in mind i am moving from brooklyn so a couple of blocks in brooklyn can mean ghetto and then a mansion (atleast around me) so what i saw there all looked nice and neat and great .

Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
what can you say specifically about the area of patochugue near that restaurant .. or Bayview apartments, i cant find any reviews of the place and keep in mind i am moving from brooklyn so a couple of blocks in brooklyn can mean ghetto and then a mansion (atleast around me) so what i saw there all looked nice and neat and great .

Honestly, all of the Village is relatively safe.

Aside from the schools, its a good little town.

Crooks

Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
I own a house not to far from that area. The Harbor crab is a really nice place to eat. Patchogue has come a long long way and it is improving lots. You will be in the village of Patchogue, so avail yourself of the summer activities.

You are close to the rail, close to Nichols road which is a straight run to Stonybrook.

Enjoy it. I miss it a lot, but we outgrew the house. If I could have bought what I have now in the patchogue area, I would do it in a heartbeat.
d

Old 04-25-2009, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,039 times
im from bayport and patchogue scares me! Im afraid that im going to get jumped walking through the town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island