Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM

252 posts, read 343,608 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family just purchased a home in Old Bethpage and are planning to move out that way. We are currently in Brooklyn now so subway access is convenient to get to work etc even though it still takes me a little over an hour.

I will be starting a new job in Brooklyn near williamsburg and I am a little hesitant on making this move to Old Bethpage. I don't have a car so I would need to commute in via LIRR and then transfer to subway. My question is, how bad is the LIRR? I hear people complain all the time about it not being on time, always cancellations, etc.

I need to be at work by 8am and cannot be late, etc. If you were in my shoes, what would u do? If the commute from Old Bethpage on LIRR and then transferring do-able/manageable?

how about parking at the stations? Is it plentiful? Can I park all day? Is it free or do we pay every day? is there a permit to purchase? I'm not even sure which LIRR station is closest to me and if there isn't one, i'd have to get a car just to get there, which would suck...

With the cost of the monthly pass of both LIRR and Metro card, more feasible to just get a car?

Find a place and rent with roommates closer to where i work?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,280,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Hello all,

My family just purchased a home in Old Bethpage and are planning to move out that way. We are currently in Brooklyn now so subway access is convenient to get to work etc even though it still takes me a little over an hour.

I will be starting a new job in Brooklyn near williamsburg and I am a little hesitant on making this move to Old Bethpage. I don't have a car so I would need to commute in via LIRR and then transfer to subway. My question is, how bad is the LIRR? I hear people complain all the time about it not being on time, always cancellations, etc.

I need to be at work by 8am and cannot be late, etc. If you were in my shoes, what would u do? If the commute from Old Bethpage on LIRR and then transferring do-able/manageable?

how about parking at the stations? Is it plentiful? Can I park all day? Is it free or do we pay every day? is there a permit to purchase? I'm not even sure which LIRR station is closest to me and if there isn't one, i'd have to get a car just to get there, which would suck...

With the cost of the monthly pass of both LIRR and Metro card, more feasible to just get a car?

Find a place and rent with roommates closer to where i work?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I commuted from Plainivew to BK. Since you have to be at work by 8am, it won't be bad at all. There will be plenty of parking available. Bethpage is closer, I would go to Hicksville since there is more trains. You will need a $100 a year parking permit from Oyster Bay.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,512,212 times
I had to commute from Great Neck to Brooklyn for a brief period time.
It was by car, and hell.
2.5-3hrs to go home at prime even rush. It was only once a week, but I was ready to quit my job if they made me continue it.
Fortunately it was temporary, but it was a life draining commute that I am I glad I never to have to do again.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
I suggest joining the Long Island Failroad Facebook page.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the information so far everyone! I greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I commuted from Plainivew to BK. Since you have to be at work by 8am, it won't be bad at all. There will be plenty of parking available. Bethpage is closer, I would go to Hicksville since there is more trains. You will need a $100 a year parking permit from Oyster Bay.
To bounce off your part...so you're saying the train isn't busy at this time? I thought 8am start time was pretty standard so i would be traveling during peak rush hours.

Looking at the time table, it looks like i would have to get on the train just before 7am and it takes about an hour to get in to the BK area. I would presume that by 7am the trains, parking locations would be packed full. What time would you say is busiest?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,280,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
To bounce off your part...so you're saying the train isn't busy at this time? I thought 8am start time was pretty standard so i would be traveling during peak rush hours.

Looking at the time table, it looks like i would have to get on the train just before 7am and it takes about an hour to get in to the BK area. I would presume that by 7am the trains, parking locations would be packed full. What time would you say is busiest?
You will get a seat at that time without an issue from Hicksville. Parking at 7 is fine 730 is a different story. It's a little bit of trial and error as far as the crowds go on the train. Ones that originate in ronkonkoma are over crowded the ones that start in Huntington are better.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,245,410 times
Move to a location in between work and your parents.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 AM

181 posts, read 224,702 times
I’ve been doing it for 20 years. It’s not bad, people just love to complain. I’d rather take the train than have to drive any day.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:51 AM

151 posts, read 127,861 times
LIRR customers are very territorial. If you sit in their seat, they get annoyed and will make you move because they sit there every day. If you park in their parking spot, they get annoyed and have been known to give dirty looks at people. If you stand on their favorite place to stand on the platform while waiting for the train, you're accused of cutting the line. The regular commuters can be very territorial with you and will not readily accept you as one of them.

On the weekends, you have different types of crazy passengers, you have the ones that will plug in hair straighteners and keurigs into the train outlets. You have drunks who love to start fights and you have drunk women who are looking for a hookup and have asked male passengers on the train for one.

You also have the overpaid conductors who try to usurp power they don't have. Just go on facebook and watch LIRR conductors and other employees tell customers who aren't happy with the LIRR to go drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island