Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Your points are silly and self-righteous. If you paid double for a car, should I also cause it's "fair" and youre too stupid to haggle, despite endless news reports and law firm mailers telling you "we can save you 50%!!"?!? IDA's are giving tax handouts to businesses left and right as we speak. We pick up the slack. Commercial properties grieve religiously and win (even lawsuits such as "dark store theory" and other ways to reduce taxes). We pick up the slack. It's everyone's business to lower their tax burden by any legal means necessary. You don't have to like it and can call it unfair, but that's the way it is, was and always will be.
How, by now, are you not seeing the point where I specifically mentioned the additional time they want the overassessed to make up for the underassessed? That is where I have issue with the greedy further taking from the overassessed. They want MORE than they deserve now.

The overassessed may very well have tried but failed (possibly because they didn't have the additional advantage of hiring a firm who's been in bed with the decision-makers). So you're putting down all the people who didn't get theirs because they're all "stupid". And no blame or negativity is put on people who CONTINUALLY WANT TO EXPLOIT their fellow neighbors for their own financial gain. Yeah, seems legit.

Quote:
This new assessment is an attempt to be fair in your mind. To me it's a way to over-assess en masse and drive up base line taxes for everyone. If some had been smart enough to grieve all along, we might ALL remain at a lower basis since that would be "the norm." The county seems to be basing new assessments on Zillow + 10% or so. How will that work when values tank in the next recession like they have historically. Sure, there is a chance to "get it right", but piling on in the year of a massive tax overhaul aimed at killing blue states isn't the way or the time, especially playing fast and loose with a potential (big word, POTENTIAL) phase in.
Where do I start? All "grieving all along" does not lower everyone's taxes, because the sum has to be what the budgets call for. As mentioned multiple times, if everyone successfully grieves, nobody actually gets reduced. That also means you shouldn't be calling the overassessed "stupid" since they'd be doing you a favor, but I digress.

Assessments only tell home A vs home B who pays more. If a recession hits, everyone's assessments are likely to go down the same percentage, so home A vs home B is still paying the same ratio. You must know this already, so I don't get where you're going at all.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-19-2018 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
My prop was newly assessed at EXACTLY Zillow plus 10%! Maybe it's a coincidence. I have an easy dozen comps that show a $100k+ deviation from their assessment. Anyone w/ half a wit can manipulate comps in their favor (apparently 42% have less than half a wit). It doesn't matter if the county is doing it or I am, it's not accurate. They also have erroneous info on my property description I met with them about. They said an inspector will visit to confirm w/ in two weeks. That was 3 weeks ago.

They system isn't "utterly broken." It's a county-wide assessment, not a rocket trip to Pluto. Most municipalities in America seem to be able to figure it out. Set numbers ACCURATELY and fairly and allow ZERO grievances, particularly commercial property grievances. Phase in large increases respectfully and conservatively to avoid, at best, market fluctuations, at worst, an exodus. No AROW, no ARC, no www.askthecountyassessor.com, no law firms, no arguments. If your assessment is THAT far out of whack, TAKE IT TO COURT! Neither side wants that so THAT should be the incentive to get it right, fair and balanced.

That would a) fix the system, 2) be fair and 3) reflect accurate values that can withstand variations in the market.

While I agree it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out, the current system is utterly broken and needs a complete overhaul. We put a gimmick of an assessment freeze in place and that had politically connected firms handling a bunch of the tax grievances in created a massive in balance.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin7 View Post
The actual problem is not the politicians, it's the populace, and you hit the nail squarely on the head.

These are good people here on LI, who work hard, care for their families and want a good life. Nothing wrong with that. These folks attended the Union controlled Government Indoctrination Center, aka "Public School," so they never actually learned what America or Capitalism was all about. So, when presented with a problem, like, hey, they are stealing my hard earned money via over taxation, they take the narrative given to them by their overlords and only think within the box...it must be those damn "politically connected" lawyers who grieve taxes (class consciousness - pit every group off against one another), or they start from the premise that, "the Government needs all that money," etc.

Until that changes, and people in NY figure out that their God given INALIENABLE RIGHTS actually MATTER, it will never change, and they will end up in the Long Island version of Detroit.
Face it, the LI population is littered with union employees who are the cause of the problem because they all want their money. People excuse it here on the boards by saying "you would do the same". In addition you have friends, families, and their peers defending their lifestyle and will show up to vote en masse. Not to mention voting no on a school budget alone does little to nothing to affect our cost - so quit using that as the reason it's our fault.

How many independent thinkers are left and qualify to vote for the right decision-makers (a flaw in the process itself) and counteract all their being in favor of higher budgets? As much as I'd like to see it, and as much as a wake-up call this whole reassessment thing SHOULD be for everyone, there will be little headway in changing contracts because the right people still need to be voted-in - people who won't be swayed while in a position of power, under the people who use all sorts of influence to put them there. Our democracy at work, hasn't worked, and requires more babysitting than is reasonable.

I was born and raised here, but we're out as soon as our kids are done too. While we can easily afford it, I refuse to put the bulk of my money into greed any longer. Compared to so many populated areas in this country, this island looks dated with sub-par infrastructure because our money is going directly into selfish people's pockets instead, which is so very sad. If you can't see the bigger picture of what our money could actually do here, you're selfish. If you're union in the public sector, you're responsible.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-27-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island