U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 AM

10,645 posts, read 10,996,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Seriously. Long Island has Fire Island and the Hamptons. There is no competition. Westchester is more of a Manhattan bedroom community, where as Long Island is a tourist destination in itself.
For 2 - 3 months a year people race to the end of the island to hit the beach's on the weekend then your back to your role of a bedroom community in which you were designed during the week. Westchester has many communities where people can live/work without the daily transit to NYC of course many do commute.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 07-12-2019 at 07:13 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 08:43 AM

676 posts, read 662,204 times
You can't compare Westchester to Long Island. The former is just one county, the later is an entire region. Instead, its better to compare Westchester to Nassau, or Hudson Valley to Long Island.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM

129 posts, read 61,491 times
Long Island may be 2 counties but the suburban sprawl of those two counties is closest to Westchester. Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange can't even compare to Long Island.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:34 AM

10,780 posts, read 9,377,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Tourists from Queens.

I grew up, worked and married on Long Island. After leaving I would vacation on Long Island and loved it. But now it’s not worth the trip. Driving takes too long and ends up in heavy traffic, flying just gets you stuck in traffic faster and then once past the traffic you spend much of your time driving. I can be in Jamaica in less time and with less hassle than a trip to the Hamptons.

FWIW Like many young Long Islanders I’d visit and hang out in the Hamptons area in the summers crashing at a house someone rented, and then in winter enjoy visiting when the towns were quiet. So yeah, I got out just fine.
I can drive from Bushwick to Mastic Beach in less time then I could get through security at JFK.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
For 2 - 3 months a year people race to the end of the island to hit the beach's on the weekend then your back to your role of a bedroom community in which you were designed during the week. Westchester has many communities where people can live/work without the daily transit to NYC of course many do commute.
Who you kidding...people live in Westchester to commute to Manhattan. Nothing more.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Long Island may be 2 counties but the suburban sprawl of those two counties is closest to Westchester. Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange can't even compare to Long Island.
I guess you can compare Suffolk to northern Westchester or Rockland. Or maybe even Fairfield CT.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Who you kidding...people live in Westchester to commute to Manhattan. Nothing more.
Who are kidding try White Plains, Purchase, Yonkers and all the Major Corporate headquarters in the county (something LI lacks). But once again try learning to read where I said "of course many do commute."

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM

676 posts, read 662,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Rockland has a higher population density than Suffolk, and is mostly closer to Manhattan. I guess this is what you mean by "suburban sprawl". Putnam, Duchess and Orange are much less in terms of population density.

Its not that LI has two counties. Its the size of it, and the fact that much of it, owning to this size, is far from Manhattan. In this sense, you can't compare Bronxville and say, Medford, just like you can't compare Garden City to a place like Fishkill. Not because one is better than the other - it is just that they are different types of communities that offer different things to people. Its in this sense that you can't compare Westchester to all of Long Island.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 PM

7,460 posts, read 10,664,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm not disputing your point which is why I went on to say in that post "They can also travel for the day if they want to go to a south shore beach, what's it going to take up to an hour more than someone in Great Neck? ".
Well that works exactly the other way too. Long Islanders can go Upstate or New England in pretty decent time as well.

From Babylon in Western Suffolk, I have gotten to Saratoga Springs in four hours. I did this by avoiding the Tappan Zee and Rockland County by crossing the Hudson further up at Newburgh.

I have also gotten to Boston in about four hours as well. And that was with a decent pit stop for lunch.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Well that works exactly the other way too. Long Islanders can go Upstate or New England in pretty decent time as well.

From Babylon in Western Suffolk, I have gotten to Saratoga Springs in four hours. I did this by avoiding the Tappan Zee and Rockland County by crossing the Hudson further up at Newburgh.

I have also gotten to Boston in about four hours as well. And that was with a decent pit stop for lunch.
I never said you can't get off, posters on this board continually lament the challenge and the cost of getting off of LI to anywhere. There are too many time windows that travel includes bumper to bumper through the city just to get off plus the tolls for the crossings (yes that works both ways).

I would rather have to pay for the few times I might go to a beach than battling every time I need to travel beyond the island. Obviously its how one lives and travels but for me living at the end of a choke point like NYC I can do with out.

And thank you for calling it the Tappan Zee Bridge and not the stupid name your governor feels it should be called, vote the moron out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or