U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,371,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrByChoice View Post
The core of Floral Park is actually south of the LIRR, though the northern section is nice, the Floral Blvd/ Carnation Ave axis is the center of the village and has some very quiet blocks.

As a full service village, it has its own police force, sanitation, and recreation center. Having lived in Astoria and Bayside since 1986, I am very happy with Floral Park.

Although property taxes are higher than NYC, you dont pay the NYC resident income tax. If you earn over $90k, it comes to at least $2500. In addition, your car insurance will drop by 50%. My insurance premium for two new cars in Floral Park is what I paid for a 3yr old car in Queens!

In addition, you get a well kept recreation center (in Queens i remember parents having to rake the ballfields themselves before Little League games), clean and swept streets, a very responsive police force, and a buildings department that stays on top of things.

The elementary schools are very good, and rank closely with North Shore districts in NYS assessment score The important factor is the percentage of students scoring at level 3 and above, especially the number scoring at level 4.
The High School ranked in the top 100 of Newseeks national rankings. Strangely enough though, there are two opposing camps on the quality of Floarl Park Memorial. Parents either love it or think its horrible. Nevertheless, SAT scores, NYS assessments, and other statistics show a school that performs well, so I'm not sure whats driving the debate here.
I agree with all the points here 100%. It's not just about property tax bills. It's overall cost of living...which I think is comparable and therefore favorable on LI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:02 PM

563 posts, read 2,432,367 times
I grew up in Floral Park. I lived near Sewanhaka high school. Closer to Stewart Manor. My grandparents/great grandparents lived north of Jericho. (Hinsdale Ave). My brother just bought a home on that side of town. While most of the village is south of Jericho, its by no means a slight at the north side. I think its fine on that side. All around a good place to live. Walkability is not a factor. So you are bit farther from the LIRR station. I was too growing up but I still walked there. No big deal. Its a safe bet.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,389 times
I've lived in Floral Park for 11 years and am currently a student at Floral Park Memorial. Floral Park has a bad reputation for drugs, especially the high school, but the kids that do take drugs tend to mind their own business. So they aren't a threat. All you have to do is know who to trust. And other terms, the southwestern end of the village (by Covert Ave.) is a nice place to live. It has access to the stores on Covert and the LIRR at Stewart Manor and Floral Park. You might want to stay off of Landau Ave. around 3 P.M. on school days, just to be safe.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 45,660 times
Grew up there -- it is same old, same old. Really -- very same -- and very, very old.

Facilities are nice. Though the taxes two doors down from us went from $2000 to $9000 as you cross the city line. South of Hillside Ave and West of Cherry Lane -- School Distric 26 NYC is very highly regarded -- especially elementary schools. Very high incidence of professionals -- nearly everyone on my old block under 60 is either a physician, veteranarian or lawyer (who let that rif-raf in). The city income tax is deductable against State/Fed and surely less than the property tax bump on the Nassau side of the invisible line. The ConEd versus LIPA rates also should be considered.

It is extemely quiet -- especially on the North side -- if and when the planes return to their pattern as promised. Many time cab drivers bringing me from the airport would comment they could not believe it was NYC because it was so quiet (and they did not get the double fare for crossing the county line).

At night, 20+ minute ride from midtown or 20+ minute ride from Jones Beach make for a Miley Cyrus (best of both worlds) location. 30+ minutes from midtown by LIRR is not bad either - if a bit pricier than the bus/subway route. For young kids, there really is a block mentaility with enough to do and enough folks to do it with. Personally I liked the city side where enough kids went to different schools so you really had a "school" persona and a "block" persona -- indispensible when one or the other persona's has a rough patch. Good ammenities, good environment, good-great schools, great location, resonable cost.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 111,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spena View Post
Is there a public pre-k program in the FLoral Park-Bellerose school district available to the residents or is your only option for pre-k,private school... more $$?
Florall Park Nassau doesn't even have full day kindergarten for all the taxes we pay. Pre-k is only a couple of half days per week--not even worth the bother.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
My wife and I never had considered the Floral Park area but have seen quite a few decent houses in our price range. Searching for information on Floral Park (demographics, population, # of renters, etc.) has me concerned since it's easy to confuse the Queens portion and Nassau portion.

I like the section North of Jericho (516) since it's not on top of the LIRR. However, the village tax is quite high and I see that the amount of money spent of students pales in comparison to neighboring areas.

Can anyone tell me anything about this pocket of Floral Park? Also, is it a neighborhood that's on the track to change as far as population?

Thanks!
Yes, the entire section of Floral Park that is north of Jericho Tpke (both Floral Park Queens and FloralPark Nassau) has become quite multicultural with a large influx of Indians. The rest of Floral Park is being sprinkled with all ethnicities and races--Indian, Hispanic, African-American, etc. however, it is changing at a slower rate than the north-of-Jericho section. I think it is very important to raise children among various cultures/ Hope this has helped.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplax View Post
I've lived in Floral Park for 11 years and am currently a student at Floral Park Memorial. Floral Park has a bad reputation for drugs, especially the high school, but the kids that do take drugs tend to mind their own business. So they aren't a threat. All you have to do is know who to trust. And other terms, the southwestern end of the village (by Covert Ave.) is a nice place to live. It has access to the stores on Covert and the LIRR at Stewart Manor and Floral Park. You might want to stay off of Landau Ave. around 3 P.M. on school days, just to be safe.
How true. I find empty beer bottles and empty drug bags thrown in front of my house all the time. Part of the problem is that alot of PARENTS in Floral Park have alcohol problems. Alot of parents are in strict denial about their kids problems and they have the "not-my-kid" attitude. Also,, I know so many parents in Floral Park that are always out working, trying to make ends meet, just one paycheck away from their house being foreclosed, that they have no time for their kids. Floral Park. at first glance is quiet and LOOKS nice with its manicured lawns, but behind every door is a story

Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 AM

40 posts, read 125,352 times
Not too sure if I am right but I thought you could only go to Floral Park Memorial if you live inside the Village of Floral Park. I think where the person is inquiring about will not let you attend Floral Park Memorial. Might be Sequananka ,total different ballpark.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Tell me about Floral Park Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
My wife and I never had considered the Floral Park area but have seen quite a few decent houses in our price range. Searching for information on Floral Park (demographics, population, # of renters, etc.) has me concerned since it's easy to confuse the Queens portion and Nassau portion.

I like the section North of Jericho (516) since it's not on top of the LIRR. However, the village tax is quite high and I see that the amount of money spent of students pales in comparison to neighboring areas.

Can anyone tell me anything about this pocket of Floral Park? Also, is it a neighborhood that's on the track to change as far as population?

Thanks!
This section of Floral Park is quite nice and it has become very multicultural. Alot of professional Indian families have moved to the north-of-Jericho part of Floral Park. The rest of Floral Park is finally getting a nice sprinkling of various ethnicities, but is not changing as rapidly

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffali View Post
I lived in Floral Park a few years ago in the Floral Park School District. The elementary school's are pretty good but do yourself a favor before you buy a house there, drive by Floral Park Memorial High when the school is letting out you be able to see how the neighborhood has changed.
It certainly has changed in the 20 years that I've been here, but change is not necessarily bad, its just different. We see a much more racially diverse Floral Park now, and I think that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island