Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:59 PM

17 posts, read 119,542 times

Advertisements

Not true. I have a friend who used to live on 263rd Street and another who used to live on 262nd St. They both lived in Floral Park. I just called one of them to make sure that I was not just talking off the top of my head. I said to him "When you lived on 263rd Street, what was the name of the town?" and he said "Floral Park." As you must realize, Queens has alot of towns such as Bayside, Jamaica, Bellerose, Flushing, Floral Park, etc.
I don't know how familiar you are with the area, but along Jamaica Avenue/Jericho Tpke. there used to be banners (I don't know if they are still there) along the center median that said "Bellerose: Two counties, one town." Well, Floral Park is in two counties and so is New Hyde Park. If you know your local geography then you should know why. All of these towns were all part of Queens at one time until the city line was changed. That's why Queens has a Floral Park, and so does Nassau, and Queens has a New Hyde Park, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 PM

17 posts, read 119,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshoyt View Post
Do you have anything to back this up? I have not seen this at all. I don't mind who is moving into my neighborhood, but the true facts should be stated for anyone reading this thread. And simply put, I have not seen any real "influx" (A mass arrival or incoming) of any nationality in VFP. It seems you have confused both Queens vs. Nassau and the part of the town that is the village. That is understandable because the borderlines are quite jagged.
If it's not raining this weekend, I'll take a walk around the area I'm talking about and make a mental note of the street names and I'll let you know the names of the streets I'm talking about. I was not trying to insult anyone, and I apologize if I did. I was just trying to help. Also, this is the first time answering threads and I think I did something wrong. I answered it and I did not see my answer, so I answered the same thread again. This happened several times, and then I saw ALL of my answers to the SAME question, and I feel ridiculous now.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,555,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoia2 View Post
Not true. I have a friend who used to live on 263rd Street and another who used to live on 262nd St. They both lived in Floral Park. I just called one of them to make sure that I was not just talking off the top of my head. I said to him "When you lived on 263rd Street, what was the name of the town?" and he said "Floral Park." As you must realize, Queens has alot of towns such as Bayside, Jamaica, Bellerose, Flushing, Floral Park, etc.
Since January 1, 1898, when the western-quarter of Queens County became part of New York City, there are no any longer towns, nor any cities, villages or hamlets anymore in Queens, county or borough.

There are neighborhoods, which are informal geographic areas

In many cases, these informal neighborhoods take their names from the community named in their mailing address, which may or may not be the correct name for any specific neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoia2 View Post
I don't know how familiar you are with the area, but along Jamaica Avenue/Jericho Tpke. there used to be banners (I don't know if they are still there) along the center median that said "Bellerose: Two counties, one town." Well, Floral Park is in two counties and so is New Hyde Park. If you know your local geography then you should know why. All of these towns were all part of Queens at one time until the city line was changed. That's why Queens has a Floral Park, and so does Nassau, and Queens has a New Hyde Park, etc.
No. They and you are confusing the community named in a place's mailing address, which is not the same thing as the true name of the community.

For example, about 8 out of every 10 places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" ZIP Code mailing address (3,339 acres) are NOT in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres): places with a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are not in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks and the Hamlet of Garden City Park.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 PM

580 posts, read 2,075,252 times
I think those in Queens with the Floral Park address are actually in the Queens neighborhood of Bellerose Terrace.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,734 times
What are the parking rules in Floral Park?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
PBR

16 posts, read 32,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippinpepe View Post
What are the parking rules in Floral Park?
Horrible, no overnight on street parking, no parking on street for more than 3 hrs, our own little meter maids running rampant. Unless you are a business, then you can pretty much do as you please.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I think those in Queens with the Floral Park address are actually in the Queens neighborhood of Bellerose Terrace.
Bellerose Terrace is on the Nassau side, although it certainly doesn't look it. Floral Park is the name of both a neighborhood in Queens and a village in Nassau, but aside from the name they're completely separate. Same goes for New Hyde Park, though the Queens NHP is very small. Not sure if people who live there identify with NHP, Floral Park or even Glen Oaks.

I really like this part of Nassau, especially Bellerose (Village) and Floral Park. You're so close to the city, but back in the neighborhoods it looks like an idyllic, 1950s suburb.

WikiMapia can make some sense of what is where over there. It's obviously not perfect - as you can see from the overlapping borders, but you can get a pretty good idea.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:39 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
Horrible, no overnight on street parking, no parking on street for more than 3 hrs, our own little meter maids running rampant. Unless you are a business, then you can pretty much do as you please.
This statement is not true at all. I have friends in FPV and the police never bother anyone for parking. Residents keep their own cars or friends and families' cars on the street ALL day. They are never ticketed. The rules are never enforced.

Only place the police may enforce is by the train. Reason being the police (and residents!) want to stop people from parking and getting on the train. But other than that, the parking rules are very flexible and not enforced at all (other than overnight parking, that's often ticketed after 3 am).

So do you live in FPV? Did you just move there? If so, why would you move there if the rules are bothersome to you? There are plenty of other places without these rules that one can live.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 02-13-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,578 times
I have lived in Floral Park most of my life. Attended elementary and HS as well as my daughter. We live North of Jericho. My taxes are not astronomical on a 40 x 100 plot and my tax dollars are seen hard at work with snow removal, village improvements, recreation, police and fire dept and so on. It is a great area to raise children. Car insurance premiums are low. My only compliant is noise from airplanes and helicopters and car traffic because I live close to Jericho Tpke.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Bellerose Terrace is in Nassau, south of Jericho.

Bellerose Village is also in Nassau south of Jericho & between BT & Floral Park

Bellerose QUEENS is NORTH of Jericho roughly between Braddock & Little Neck w. Hillside as cut off to the North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island