Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM

146 posts, read 838,203 times

Advertisements

My wife and I never had considered the Floral Park area but have seen quite a few decent houses in our price range. Searching for information on Floral Park (demographics, population, # of renters, etc.) has me concerned since it's easy to confuse the Queens portion and Nassau portion.

I like the section North of Jericho (516) since it's not on top of the LIRR. However, the village tax is quite high and I see that the amount of money spent of students pales in comparison to neighboring areas.

Can anyone tell me anything about this pocket of Floral Park? Also, is it a neighborhood that's on the track to change as far as population?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,081,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
My wife and I never had considered the Floral Park area but have seen quite a few decent houses in our price range. Searching for information on Floral Park (demographics, population, # of renters, etc.) has me concerned since it's easy to confuse the Queens portion and Nassau portion.

I like the section North of Jericho (516) since it's not on top of the LIRR. However, the village tax is quite high and I see that the amount of money spent of students pales in comparison to neighboring areas.

Can anyone tell me anything about this pocket of Floral Park? Also, is it a neighborhood that's on the track to change as far as population?

Thanks!
Not changing much at all. Certain demographics of people don't want to pay the Nassau and Village taxes, when they can be blocks away in Queens for little taxes. So it's holding it's own that's for sure.

Floral Park, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for accurate demographics and info for FPV.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,557,715 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Floral Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
Searching for information on Floral Park ...

For those who may not be familiar with Floral Park:

Originally called Hinsdale, Floral Park is a village (incorporated in 1908) partly in the southwest part of the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau/NYC border.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Floral Park in the Town of North Hempstead and the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by New York City (Queens County) and the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park in the Town of North Hempstead; on the east by the Village of New Hyde Park in the Towns of North Hempstead and Hempstead and the Village of Stewart Manor in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Hamlet of Elmont and the Village of South Floral Park in the Town of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Bellerose in the Town of Hempstead.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Floral-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Floral Park is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address that are not in the Village of Floral Park are in the Village of South Floral Park, the Village of Bellerose, the Hamlet of Bellerose Terrace and the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM

7,870 posts, read 9,066,370 times
That neighborhood really isn't changing too much. However, I wouldn't discount Floral Park Queens. The elementary school education there is pretty good. Van Buren HS stinks, but you could send your kids to a private HS and save lots of property tax $$$. I also think there is a a new magnet HS on Union Tpke by Creedmore that you could apply for.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 PM

48 posts, read 214,997 times
I lived in Floral Park a few years ago in the Floral Park School District. The elementary school's are pretty good but do yourself a favor before you buy a house there, drive by Floral Park Memorial High when the school is letting out you be able to see how the neighborhood has changed.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffali View Post
I lived in Floral Park a few years ago in the Floral Park School District. The elementary school's are pretty good but do yourself a favor before you buy a house there, drive by Floral Park Memorial High when the school is letting out you be able to see how the neighborhood has changed.
No matter how it has changed, it still is a good school. Actually scored really well on Newsweek's top 1000 schools, in addition to the below greatschools stats.

Straight from GreatSchools.net

White, not Hispanic 66%
Black, not Hispanic 12%
Hispanic 12%
Asian/Pacific Islander 9%
Unspecified 1% n/a

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%

Floral Park Memorial High School
Great Schools Rating 9

Some areas that have "not changed" still have lower ratings on great schools than FPM.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM

48 posts, read 214,997 times
That is all great however I would still advise anyone buying a house anywhere to drive by schools when they are letting out. My In laws happen to live on Vandewater across from Floral Park Memorial and they have not been too happy with how it has changed since they have been there.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffali View Post
That is all great however I would still advise anyone buying a house anywhere to drive by schools when they are letting out. My In laws happen to live on Vandewater across from Floral Park Memorial and they have not been too happy with how it has changed since they have been there.
Vandewater is a tough street for a few reasons. First of all, it's the street of the the HS and ANY street right near a high school is asking for trouble. Second of all, it is the last block of the "village" so that presents some issues as well. I do know of some incidents over there about kids destroying property, etc on their way home from school. But I do believe living near any HS is a recipe for disaster....and living on the border street of any area that neighbors a less desirable area is also a recipe for disaster. I am not surprised if this was not as big of an issue years ago. Kids all over have gotten pretty disrespectful with all this promotion of kids "deserving respect", so much so that teachers and parents have to be careful how they discipline or else they face being sued, jailtime, etc.

It's a sad state that you can't even discipline your child (or your student) without someone accusing you of child abuse and finding a way to make the "child/student" right and somehow mistreated. I feel for your ILs on that block that's for sure. I would never buy a home near a HS for reasons such as this or on any block that is a cut through for students/or borders a less desirable area.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,342 times
Default Floral Park Schools

Is there a public pre-k program in the FLoral Park-Bellerose school district available to the residents or is your only option for pre-k,private school... more $$?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM

12 posts, read 29,753 times
Default Floral Park details, schools taxes, etc.

The core of Floral Park is actually south of the LIRR, though the northern section is nice, the Floral Blvd/ Carnation Ave axis is the center of the village and has some very quiet blocks.

As a full service village, it has its own police force, sanitation, and recreation center. Having lived in Astoria and Bayside since 1986, I am very happy with Floral Park.

Although property taxes are higher than NYC, you dont pay the NYC resident income tax. If you earn over $90k, it comes to at least $2500. In addition, your car insurance will drop by 50%. My insurance premium for two new cars in Floral Park is what I paid for a 3yr old car in Queens!

In addition, you get a well kept recreation center (in Queens i remember parents having to rake the ballfields themselves before Little League games), clean and swept streets, a very responsive police force, and a buildings department that stays on top of things.

The elementary schools are very good, and rank closely with North Shore districts in NYS assessment score The important factor is the percentage of students scoring at level 3 and above, especially the number scoring at level 4.
The High School ranked in the top 100 of Newseeks national rankings. Strangely enough though, there are two opposing camps on the quality of Floarl Park Memorial. Parents either love it or think its horrible. Nevertheless, SAT scores, NYS assessments, and other statistics show a school that performs well, so I'm not sure whats driving the debate here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island