Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:38 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times

Advertisements

The easiest way home from Costco for me is New Highway. Is it my imagination or has this road gotten even worse than it used to be ? It should be an enjoyable run as it loops around the little airport and often you can see blimps being launched or small planes taking off , but it is totally filled with ruts and potholes. There are no real shoulders because they are filled with holes and loose chunks of tar. I have to wonder if this is by design (so that people will not pull over to watch the planes). But, New Highway in Farmingdale gets my nomination for the worst road on Long Island !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:53 PM

245 posts, read 298,407 times
I am floored by how quickly the roads here deteriorated following the winter. I lived in Chicago and the roads, though not much better and in some cases worse, lasted much longer than they do here. The Northern Parkway certainly doesn't look like it was resurfaced all that long ago. I would guess two years ago? Anyway, it is increasingly fraught with pot holes - some very deep ones. What gives?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Old Country road is pretty bad.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The easiest way home from Costco for me is New Highway. Is it my imagination or has this road gotten even worse than it used to be ? It should be an enjoyable run as it loops around the little airport and often you can see blimps being launched or small planes taking off , but it is totally filled with ruts and potholes. There are no real shoulders because they are filled with holes and loose chunks of tar. I have to wonder if this is by design (so that people will not pull over to watch the planes). But, New Highway in Farmingdale gets my nomination for the worst road on Long Island !
Regardless of the road conditions issue I will always, ALWAYS, hate the Southern State...traffic at 4am at Eagle Avenue, grrrrr. My entire demeanor changed when I no longer had to involve that road in my commute and errands.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 AM

33 posts, read 78,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
What gives?
The ocean.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:41 AM

245 posts, read 298,407 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtolman View Post
The ocean.
What does the ocean do to asphalt? Chicago salted its roads to a crystalline white, so you must not mean the salt.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,292 times
Sunrise Hwy from Freeport to RVC.
First I fear for my life trying to get through freeport without getting killed by an unlicensed driver in 1990 corolla then I have to go into combat mode to avoid getting rear ended when I'm stuck behind some selfish butthole that thinks its ok to double park to let out their passengers in RVC.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
I hate being anywhere on the Long Island Expressway, not a whole lot of scenery to at least distract you from the roaring semis and contractor vans with hastily attached copper piping about to fall off the roof. When there's no traffic, I love driving on all the Robert Moses-era parkways (SSP/NSP/Wantagh/Meadowbrook/Belt/Cross Island).

In terms of potholes, Oakfield Ave (divider between North Bellmore & North Wantagh) and Newbridge Ave (between Jerusalem & Sunrise) used to be unbelievably bad and gave me a few flats back in the day....but they've fixed them up considerably. I can't think of any dirt roads I know of in Nassau County, though I actually know where a couple are in Queens.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,866 times
OP, its funny, saw the title of your thread, before clicking on it, my first thought was New Highway.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:34 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
But, I am really serious. I have never seen road shoulders that have giant pits and huge rocks of tar and cement in them. It can not be by accident. Any car would have its struts destroyed just by pulling over even once. I wonder why this is allowed. It has always been like this.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island