Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times

Advertisements

I would consider looking further east for that price range......more for your money with beeter schoold districts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
If you are going to have a Huntington address, the best school district you can get in is Cold Spring Harbor, but that is going to be way out of your price range. Harborfields is a close second, another top ranked school district. I would think you can find a house in Harborfields in your price range.
Which areas of Huntington go to CSH schools? I didn't think any did...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 36,592 times
I definitely know that going east is better, but I don't want my husbands commute to be longer than an hour. It's so hard with so many factors. I am a special education teacher and I know that no matter what, my children will do well in school. We don't have kids yet anyway, so the school district isn't my #1 priority. I really just want a nice neighborhood.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erie15 View Post
I definitely know that going east is better, but I don't want my husbands commute to be longer than an hour. It's so hard with so many factors. I am a special education teacher and I know that no matter what, my children will do well in school. We don't have kids yet anyway, so the school district isn't my #1 priority. I really just want a nice neighborhood.

Remember, real estate is all about location, location, location. The school district will always influence the price, stablity and future price of the home. I'm sure many people who do not have kids, say that they will move to a better district later. That might work, but look at it now, many people are stuck where they are until this credit crunch is over. IMO you are better off with a longer commute , in a better district.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Which areas of Huntington go to CSH schools? I didn't think any did...
CSh goes to CSH, and CSH is huntington, that's what he means.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
CSh goes to CSH, and CSH is huntington, that's what he means.

Yes, the Village of Cold Spring Harbor, as is the Hamlet of Huntington (oftentimes colloquially referred to as Huntington village) as well as 3 additional villages and 14 additional hamlets, is in the Town of Huntington.

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington;

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of other surrounding villages and hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and other postal zones, within its borders.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,498 times
Look on the MLS website. The only thing you'd find in Harborfields for 400K is a small, weathered cottage. Anything livable in Harborfields is 600K and well up from there. And don't forget the high taxes there either. The posters urging you to go east are right -- you will get much more bang for your buck.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM

175 posts, read 657,506 times
Correct, I live in Cold Spring Harbor in Huntington Township. I don't think you can get a house in CSH for $400,000 but I used to live in Harborfields and there are definitely areas of Harborfields where you can get for that and Harborfields is one of the best school districts in Suffolk.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,529 times
LLoyd Harbor and Lloyd Neck are in what most know as Huntington but go to CSH. That is it. I believe Goose Hill Road is known as CSH but West Neck and out to Lloyd Harbor is known as Huntington. So that is the real answer, even though CSH proper is technically Huntington, everyone calls it Cold Spring so that is not "Huntington goes to CSH" A hop skip and a jump from west neck road is Southdown Rd-they are Huntington Schools. A long time ago, deals were made to include what clearly is Huntington in the CSH district. I remember well when East Side School was closed and we split into West Side and Lloyd Harbor-it was weird to be in CSH and go to elementry in Huntington and Oyster Bay (effectively).

I think Harborfields is the better bet fo anyone seeking a "better" district in this price point. But my opinions on CSH as a born and raised and product of the district are well known here, so my vote for HF is just an opinion

Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Correct, I live in Cold Spring Harbor in Huntington Township. I don't think you can get a house in CSH for $400,000 but I used to live in Harborfields and there are definitely areas of Harborfields where you can get for that and Harborfields is one of the best school districts in Suffolk.
Well, you're on the money about the school district but check again on the house prices. 400K in Harborfields? Have you seen what's available for that? What little there is for that price is barely habitable. I have friends looking to buy in Harborfields for 550K, and after months of seeing every house on the market for that price, they have sadly conceded defeat. I accompanied them on some of their house hunting trips, as I enjoy doing that and find it very interesting. In recent weeks, what they saw for 550K in that district was very depressing. There were a few small, dated and weathered houses on not-so-attractive streets, some hi ranches in need of work, one OK looking colonial on a very busy street, a brand new house on the teeniest lot I've ever seen on an ugly back road --all in Greenlawn -- an old house in Centerport that needs lots of work, and a small, dated cliff house in Centerport that features no place at all to park your car. The houses even looked pretty nice in some of the MLS pictures but they were all major let downs. The realtor noted that you would need to go over 600K to get something that was more or less move-in condition, not on a cliff, not on a major road, and of a reasonable size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island