Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM

33 posts, read 78,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
The realtor noted that you would need to go over 600K to get something that was more or less move-in condition, not on a cliff, not on a major road, and of a reasonable size.
Thats crazy - there are multiple 3/4 bdroom 2 bath houses, with large yards and in good condition in the fountainvale and college areas of Greenlawn (south of pulaski, east of park). And almost all of them are listed less than 600. You can do just fine for less than 600K in greenlawn.

And for all the complaining about Huntington's school district, it comes out near average for the island. Is it the best one in the area? No. But it isn't anything close to Roosevelt or a truely troubled district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,498 times
I don't think anyone here is putting Huntington SD in the Roosevelt category. But there are serious concerns in the district. If a poster is looking for advice about the Huntington area and its schools, they would be well served to know that neighborhoods in relatively close proximity (Greenlawn, Elwood, E. Northport) offer similar prices but better schools. As far as the section of Greenlawn bounded by Pulaski/Park, yes, my friends looked at it but found nothing nice. The section lacked all the charm and appeal that most of the Harborfields district has -- it seemed indistinguishable from pretty much any other area of LI. Also, that area borders a very undesirable section of Huntington/Greenlawn, off Broadway. It would get you into the school district, if that was your primary objective, but it would accomplish little else. Going into the nicer, prettier part of Greenlawn, north of Pulaski, gets back into the higher prices for the nicer houses. It has been a frustrating search for them. It looks like they will push over 600K, but with reluctance and a good deal of anxiety, in this economic climate. There's just nothing else out there.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Everyone keeps talking about the Huntington SD...but what about South Huntington SD? We know lots of people who have elementary-age kids who LOVE the South Huntington SD. South Huntington SD is very different than Huntington SD from what I've heard.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Everyone keeps talking about the Huntington SD...but what about South Huntington SD? We know lots of people who have elementary-age kids who LOVE the South Huntington SD. South Huntington SD is very different than Huntington SD from what I've heard.
S. Hunt is better (from what I hear) than Huntington. A lot less troubled areas get pulled into S. Huntington. Not saying there isn't a small portion of trouble there, but I do hear better things than what I hear about Hunt.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
I don't think anyone here is putting Huntington SD in the Roosevelt category. But there are serious concerns in the district. If a poster is looking for advice about the Huntington area and its schools, they would be well served to know that neighborhoods in relatively close proximity (Greenlawn, Elwood, E. Northport) offer similar prices but better schools. As far as the section of Greenlawn bounded by Pulaski/Park, yes, my friends looked at it but found nothing nice. The section lacked all the charm and appeal that most of the Harborfields district has -- it seemed indistinguishable from pretty much any other area of LI. Also, that area borders a very undesirable section of Huntington/Greenlawn, off Broadway. It would get you into the school district, if that was your primary objective, but it would accomplish little else. Going into the nicer, prettier part of Greenlawn, north of Pulaski, gets back into the higher prices for the nicer houses. It has been a frustrating search for them. It looks like they will push over 600K, but with reluctance and a good deal of anxiety, in this economic climate. There's just nothing else out there.

For 600,000 they may also want to check out Centerport. It's also in the Harborfields school district and has a wide variety of homes.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
Huntington does NOT have a good school district. Some of Huntington is in the Harborfields school district. But the homes there are going to start at about 800 and up........................... I also love the town of huntington. Huntington is not a place to send your kids to public school unless you are sending them to private.
I'd really like to know what constitutes a good school district? In my opinion Massapequa does not have a very good school district...nothing but little white faces...certainly nothing like the real world. Children grow up racist that way. A school that is rich and diverse with different cultures, different ethnic groups and teachers who care. THAT constitutes a good school district. The real world. Children can excel no matter what school they are in....it depends on the parents not the kids in the school.

I think some of the most wonderful kids I've ever known in my life live in Huntington and attend the Huntington High School. :P

Old 05-31-2008, 09:16 AM

123 posts, read 647,476 times
How do people feel about the Elwood School district? The numbers look good but I don't hear it mentioned as much as Harborfields. We're not looking to move just yet, but I'm trying to focus on where we'd go. South Shore I'm thinking Sayville or East Islip, but both my husband and I love the North Shore.

The Elwood School District is nice and small, and it seems like we could get something decent in our price range. We're looking to get the most house for our $$ and my husband is an electrician and very handy, so we would definitely do a fixer upper again if it could get us into a neighborhood we love with the space/size we want. I'm also thinking about Kings Park. Worried about the commute though.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
I have heard good things about the Elwood SD but don't know about it firsthand.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:32 AM

175 posts, read 657,506 times
Local opinion is that Elwood is a very good school district, though as you point out not as well regarded as Harborfields.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:34 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
I live off of Woodhull which is between park ave & 110 and south of 25A. There are some beautiful houses in this area and its close to the RR.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-31-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island