U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 19,996 times

Advertisements

I am seriously looking to buy in Huntington within the next few months.
How is the area just north of the train station? I know that Huntington Station is NOT an area that I want to live in, but North of that looks pretty good. I'm currently looking at a house north of the rail but south of 25A. Some of the houses look great, but there are a couple that don't look that great.
In general, I need to be close to the train station for my husbands commute, but want to also live in a good neighborhood with a decent school system.
Any thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 AM

9,343 posts, read 16,936,359 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington

Quote:
Originally Posted by erie15 View Post

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington:

Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Harbor, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, Huntington Bay and the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of Centerport and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM

429 posts, read 822,360 times
some of the Huntington addresses are in Harborfields SD, it's better than the Huntington SD schools

Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM

2,938 posts, read 5,691,774 times
There is a lot of ground between the train station and 25-A. In general, in that area, the closer to 25-A the better.

Also, don't assume that all areas of Huntington are better then all areas of Huntington Station. There are some very nice and very not-so-nice areas in each.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM

1,803 posts, read 4,120,213 times
Quote:
How is the area just north of the train station? I know that Huntington Station is NOT an area that I want to live in, but North of that looks pretty good. I'm currently looking at a house north of the rail but south of 25A. Some of the houses look great, but there are a couple that don't look that great.
In general, I need to be close to the train station for my husbands commute, but want to also live in a good neighborhood with a decent school system.
Any thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated!!

What's the price range and SD? That will help us to help you.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 19,996 times
Woodhull road, canyon street, queens street, manhattan place, edwards place, and lewis court. Those are the streets around an area that I've been looking. I think this is district 3.
I know it isn't the absolute BEST school district, but honestly, I just want a nice, safe neighborhood that has typical long island families in it.
When I drove to that area I noticed that I had to go through a patch that doesn't look so great so I wonder if this area is far enough away.
Our price range is $400,000 max.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 PM

70 posts, read 181,159 times
Default Tracey

Huntington does NOT have a good school district. Some of Huntington is in the Harborfields school district. But the homes there are going to start at about 800 and up........................... I also love the town of huntington. Huntington is not a place to send your kids to public school unless you are sending them to private.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:14 PM

1,803 posts, read 4,120,213 times
Quote:
Woodhull road, canyon street, queens street, manhattan place, edwards place, and lewis court. Those are the streets around an area that I've been looking. I think this is district 3.
I know it isn't the absolute BEST school district, but honestly, I just want a nice, safe neighborhood that has typical long island families in it.
When I drove to that area I noticed that I had to go through a patch that doesn't look so great so I wonder if this area is far enough away.
Our price range is $400,000 max.
Hmm, not the absolute safest neighborhood. I would see if you could do a bit better in another area, for your price range.

I just searched MLS, you could definitely find something in a better area for your price range. I say East Northport is a good bet for you, you would get a better SD and safer area.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 04-07-2008 at 08:22 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 10,355 times
Default huntington areas

don't rule out areas of Huntington Station. There are houses in the Maplewood area that might be in your price range. there are very nice streets in that area . for the price you are looking in (under 400K) you won't find many houses in Huntington that are move in condition (not sure if that matters to you) and while Huntington Village is nice, I don't think you will find anything decent in that area for that price point

Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 AM

175 posts, read 462,314 times
If you are going to have a Huntington address, the best school district you can get in is Cold Spring Harbor, but that is going to be way out of your price range. Harborfields is a close second, another top ranked school district. I would think you can find a house in Harborfields in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island