Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:19 PM

117 posts, read 173,301 times

Advertisements

I think we will find something we lived in NY before I just need a broker that care we may even consider buying out east why so negative I think we will find something nice just have to keep looking I do have the money to move in , just need a great. Romer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM

117 posts, read 173,301 times
1600 need small house eventually want to buy out east

Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
why so negative
Not negative, just realistic. I agree that you need to choose a realtor who is experienced and also very familiar with the communities that you're most interested in living in. Although the days of "office exclusives" for home sales are on the way out, I don't know if that's also the case for rentals. The realtors on this forum (Elke and Tom) would be able to give some insight into that.

My suggestion is to get in contact with an agent at an established realtor's office in either Patchogue or Bayport or Blue Point if you are primarily interested in that general area. The "forks" , either north or south, are in some ways a unique market unto themselves and IMHO if you are seriously thinking about going further east than Patchogue (south) or Rocky Point (north) you'd be better served by a realtor whose office is in someplace like Hampton Bays (south) or Jamesport (north).

I would NOT recommend using just one realtor and expecting him or her to be really familiar with properties and neighborhoods that aren't in their home area. Of course they will and can get you showings but for non-local listings they will be working from the MLS database just like everyone else and they won't "know" the good and bad points about other communities' neighborhoods, simply because they aren't often (or ever) in those areas. And frankly if the listing is inconveniently far, the agent will be less likely to want to take the time to preview it for you even though you are out-of-area currently. Especially for a rental rather than a hefty house sale commission.

You mention that you used to live on Long Island and so I am curious, how long has it been since you last lived here? If it has been several decades, you might be surprised at the changes in some of the towns "out east" from what you may remember of them. Some of the changes have been positive but others not so much.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-02-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 07:21 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
If your child has serious health issues how come you haven't gotten here sooner? Couldn't you live with family until you find something? If you don't mind me asking what is your son's health conditions that only NY doctors can deal with? Seems as if you have been searching a couple of years. We have some real estate agents on this forum you know.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Mastic Beach

Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
OP, you need to stop dreaming. I am a very caring person and kind despite what I am saying to you. In fact, I too recognized the story from old posts as many other posters did and I am answering on the outside chance that you are not a troll. There are many people in your shoes and no answers to help them either. A good broker can not manufacturer a home for you to live in with that budget. To suggest there are no qualified hospitals or doctors in the Philly area is patently absurd. There are many great hospitals in that area. I have a neighbor whose adult daughter is in one right now. You miss your family and want what you can't afford unless you are willing to live in substandard conditions, given your budget,

Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieCountryGirl1 View Post
1600 need small house eventually want to buy out east

No house/cottage rental for that amount, however, there is an upstairs 2-bedroom rental in a legal 2-family house in Patchogue, close to Town...

Old 01-05-2019, 02:28 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
No house/cottage rental for that amount, however, there is an upstairs 2-bedroom rental in a legal 2-family house in Patchogue, close to Town...
Can barely get a 1BR that will allow more than 1 person for 1600 or under now on LI. And more than likely it will not be a legal apt. But a majority of the apts on LI that are what I guess you can say more affordable. Are going to be illegal apts anyway. The OP apparently has no idea what the LI rental market is like these days. Times have changed here. As they are looking for a needle in a haystack pretty much.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
OP, you need to stop dreaming. I am a very caring person and kind despite what I am saying to you. In fact, I too recognized the story from old posts as many other posters did and I am answering on the outside chance that you are not a troll. There are many people in your shoes and no answers to help them either. A good broker can not manufacturer a home for you to live in with that budget. To suggest there are no qualified hospitals or doctors in the Philly area is patently absurd. There are many great hospitals in that area. I have a neighbor whose adult daughter is in one right now. You miss your family and want what you can't afford unless you are willing to live in substandard conditions, given your budget,
That is the point I have been trying to make. People that live here already have trouble finding a rental similar to what OP is looking for & they can't find one. So being absentee will make it much harder. But apparently we can't say the truth as they consider it unhelpful & negative. Haha. Will not change the facts either way. And I am pretty sure the OP knows that. Every renter on LI has that same dream. Funny how they allow a new acct to post the same story over again. Yet we can't speak the truth. They need trolls like this. As it increases traffic on a website too.

She seems to think a broker will magically find something that does not exist. Not gonna happen. In this price range a majority of the rentals are going to be illegal units. And we all know realtors can not list or do business with illegal rentals. But I assure you. They do. Have proof of it in writing. Not using a broker & focusing on private landlords will yield them better results. But you must be here already & in person. Ready to meet in person & see rental. As rentals like they are looking for usually go fast. And in less than a few hours after being put up most of the time. And be ready to pay move in costs & fill out an application & see if you meet the landlords criteria.

But first thing broker will do is ask lots of questions & do background & credit check. Which will probably eliminate using a broker. Might also be highly possible is this is a true post. That they are on a program. Like Section 8. And are trying to port their voucher possibly. Not many landlords on LI take it. So the pool is very small for people on programs for housing. As someone that markets lots of rentals. We get these same type of inquiries all the time with similar types of stories. Then they drop the ball that they are on a program or Section 8 or another one. Or disclose pets too late. Or even never disclose pets & just move in with the pets. One of our biggest beefs the past few years.

And agree with you that there is plenty of great medical care in Philly! There is always more to the story that people like the OP leave out all the time. We have some rentals that fit what OP is looking for. But I know the OP will not qualify. Hence why I did not say something before. Besides. The landlords we are looking for tenants for. Of course want someone ready to move in & someone locally already. Sounds like they are not even yet here on LI. Just trying to get back. So they are probably even calling brokers. And the brokers are just saying we have nothing that fits your criteria. Or come see us. They can not go in person unless they are actually here.

Last edited by loribell38; 01-05-2019 at 03:03 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
One thing you haven't addressed Sadie: health insurance for your adult child. Are NY hospitals in your insurance network?
She said it is a special needs adult child. So my guess is they have Medicaid for the adult child. That is only valid really in the County or State they are in now. They would have to apply when or if they move. In the County in the State they move to. And each state. Well even every county within every state. Have different Medicaid programs. Some areas are better than others. Why do you think everyone targets NY? NY is by far. Always been known to be far more generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island