Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 16,511 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Jericho or Manhasset. Looking for top notch public schools from PK to 12. Where do you recommend? I also commute to downtown NYC. I am mainly looking for a place where I can get the best education for the kids not only now but for the next 12 years. Is Jericho #1 only this year or has been #1 public school district for sometimes. Is there any other hidden gem that is not #1 but going towards that?

To me I would like to keep the value of my house (appreciate over the years if possible) , have a reasonable commute to downtown NYC and have a very good public education. I am open to bothe new york and nj suburbs where we can afford a 5 bedroom fairly new home under a million with the best school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 05:41 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
In order to answer your question a crustal ball would be necessary. Yes, Jericho is a top rated school district, but there are other districts that also can answer to that title. Among them are Syosset, East Williston, Manhasset, Garden City, Great Neck and Roslyn to name just a few more.

There is more to such a decision as being rated well. There are the personalities of the children, the demographics of the district, are they into sports, all of which may seem trivial but I can assure you they are not.

Everyone wants their major investment to appreciate, but you do realize that we are pretty high up on the value chain now, and we can't predict the economic viability of sustaining such lofty numbers. Also, what do you consider as a reasonable commute? That might change the equation in a big way.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
You can’t get a fairly new 5 bedroom, or any 5 bedroom, in either of those towns for under a million. Probably closer to two million and the house would probably need work.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
School ratings do not guarantee a good education. Taxes are astronomical in those areas and the people leave a lot to be desired. You sure you want your children to be mingling with a bunch of snobbish, spoiled and selfish people? If so move to Jericho or Manhasset

Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 AM

79 posts, read 104,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You can’t get a fairly new 5 bedroom, or any 5 bedroom, in either of those towns for under a million. Probably closer to two million and the house would probably need work.

^^This. I think you should take 2 minutes to look on zillow that what you want for under $1 million does not exist in these 2 areas.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 13,369 times
I live in Jericho and commute to downtown NYC. The commute is roughly 1:30 hr, plus or minus 5 min. That is from the moment I leave my house to arriving to the office. Parking at the Hicksville LIRR is fairly easy assuming you get to the lot before 7:45am. The station and parking lot is fairly nice since they were recently built. The nightly commute from Penn back to Hicksville is also not too bad given there are 3 lines I can take (Hicksville, Ronkonkoma, Huntington), so never more than a 5 – 15 minute wait if I miss a train.

I think it will be difficult for you to find a newish 5 brd for a million. New construction or nicely renovated 5 brd would run in the $1.2 – 1.5. You can probably find a 4 -5 brd that would need some updating in the 1 million range.

Jericho was rated #1 school district in the country this past year, but has been at least top 5 in the tri-state area for what seems like forever now. But like others have said, ratings does not necessarily tell the whole story. There are plenty of other well rated school districts on LI to consider as well.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 AM

13 posts, read 16,511 times
Thanks for the replies. Since a good school district is a must for me kids, where would you recommend since the housing is out of range in our budget. Looking for 4-5 bedroom with great school districts.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 AM

56 posts, read 115,176 times
Trying to find that perfect balance of demographics, housing prices, low property taxes and a good commute is next to impossible in LI. I think Syosset is a good place to start compare to other neighborhoods. I see some 5 bedrooms available for sale in Syosset for less than 1 million. I read complains about the Asian population growing in Syosset but it's growing in Great Neck, Manhasset, Jericho, Herricks school area, etc. This is a process that will continue in LI and it's really no different than the Jewish migration into LI a few decades back.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderweb2016 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Since a good school district is a must for me kids, where would you recommend since the housing is out of range in our budget. Looking for 4-5 bedroom with great school districts.
Plainview, Not as highly rated as Jericho or Syosset but next door geographically. You can get a new construction 5br for 1mm or a very nice home in the college streets. Town is very white and Jewish, plenty of people that celebrate xmas also, there is a growing Asian population, not like Jericho and Syosset. I used to live there and looked in Syosset also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island