Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Send them all here.
Aldi is here and Lidl has bought all the Best market stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I don't care for Meat Farms.

The store always smells like dirty mop water. The produce never looks fresh. Every other time I milk it's sour, and there's not one deli clerk who doesn't have a skin condition.
OMG.....where's the vomit emoji LOL. I agree with you though.

Honestly most supermarkets on LI are gross. It's amazing what people put up with. My kids won't even go into them anymore when we're up there. Even Target smells bad with the grocery section.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A Wegman's is opening in Brooklyn sometime this year. They generally like to build from scratch and being sized from 70,000 - 150,000+ square feet there are few places on Long island that could accommodate them and the required parking. Perhaps some abandoned K-Mart could be repurposed if it's not in a center that already has a food store which probably has an exclusive clause in the lease.
Yeah, the ones here are being built from the ground up (so are the Publix that have come in). One of the Wegman's even had plans for a parking deck (but it was scrapped).

One of the concerns with Wegman's (from what I've heard from people who come from upstate NY) is that their big concern is distribution and customer service. Getting stuff onto LI could be a sticking point (although they've pushed into Brooklyn already) and customer service definitely will be.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:07 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
IDK. Supermarkets are supermarkets to me.
I base my experience more on how crowded they are. It's all the same crap to me.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, the ones here are being built from the ground up (so are the Publix that have come in). One of the Wegman's even had plans for a parking deck (but it was scrapped).

One of the concerns with Wegman's (from what I've heard from people who come from upstate NY) is that their big concern is distribution and customer service. Getting stuff onto LI could be a sticking point (although they've pushed into Brooklyn already) and customer service definitely will be.
Please explain. No stereotypes required.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
I am puzzled by that too. Why would Wegmans have poor customer service?

Actually IMHO the only 'customer service' I ever need in a supermarket is if I need to return something (rare, and never a problem regardless of market) or ask a nearby floor person if they have any more [name of item that is missing from its shelf space] in the back that hasn't been packed out yet. Usually it's my yogurt. Never had a problem with that either.

Although I will say that when I needed to do that at the local King Kullen I always had a harder time finding an employee 'on the floor' than I do at Stop & Shop or Whole Foods. I hardly ever see an employee in the aisles at Best Market but I only go there for a couple of specific things now and again, one of which they stopped carrying a few months ago anyhow.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I base my experience more on how crowded they are. It's all the same crap to me.
exactly. Im amazed how seriously some take their food shopping here.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
exactly. Im amazed how seriously some take their food shopping here.
Well I can't speak for all posters here, but for me it is more simply a matter of gastronomy rather than a particular Supermarket obsession. I consider eating well one of the great pleasures in life. If a market offers high quality and/or unique items I am drawn to it, if these items are offered at great prices to boot, that's of course a bonus.

Aldi's has all the above IMO, fresh mozarella that rivals specialty Italian markets, "Aldi Finds" that are one of a kind, limited availability high quality items they pass on to the customer, etc. The Market is merely a delivery vehicle for what I desire, the obsession is more about the items, their uniqueness, quality and price.

If both of you still "stick to your guns" opinion wise, all hope is not lost in making food shopping an interesting outing. Merely switch up the days you shop, this will not make the markets themselves more interesting per se, but....

It would be "The same crap, different day".......

Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 479 times
Default King Kullen's Wild by Nature concept - can it survive?

With Stop N Shop taking over existing King Kullen stores, what happens to any Wild by Nature stores (part of the KKullen chain) that are close by existing Stop N Shops?

My guess is that WBN stores will be closed and the size of their outlets is too small for any other grocery store chain except Trader Joe's, which might be a natural replacement - or perhaps a super-size c-store like Wawa's...thoughts?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan7497 View Post
With Stop N Shop taking over existing King Kullen stores, what happens to any Wild by Nature stores (part of the KKullen chain) that are close by existing Stop N Shops?

My guess is that WBN stores will be closed and the size of their outlets is too small for any other grocery store chain except Trader Joe's, which might be a natural replacement - or perhaps a super-size c-store like Wawa's...thoughts?
Depending on location, an Aldi store (brother of Trader Joe's owner) might work. Size should be about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island