Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,072 times

Advertisements

Funny, I was just talking to another couple who moved to Alabama. They love it, too. Might that be the next hot spot???? As for my two cents, I love Princeton too (used to live there) but don't like most of the rest of NJ. And I would rather go to jail than live in Brooklyn (sorry Jennifer). Mountains and scenery are very nice, as some others said, but I think upstate (way up) is nicer than PA. The cold winters are very attractive to me. Only the spring season is a downer there, with all the rain and mud, but at least you can use the down time to rest after all that skiing. Summers are great for swimming and boating, and the leaves in the fall are unbeatable. If I went West, I would choose Ojai (north enough of LA to be really beautiful, but close enough to afford access to LA, which I love). So my choice would be the Adirondacks or Ojai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
NC no way,unfortunately along with giving money for tolls you also give points from your IQ as you head south.Just kidding but some of the back wood areas are a little caught in a timewarp. Upstate NY near Rochester----beautiful.Taxes slightly better,cold winters,but home prices are great,very good schools,hospitals,and quality of life!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM

48 posts, read 215,444 times
Ok people hold on to your hats..... We moved to a suburb outside of Buffalo ( I KNOW IT's CRAZY). My husband was able to keep his State Job with the same salary and just transfer over here. He was born and raised here so he took the offer and here we are since Feb. 1st. We sold our house in LI and bought our house here for such a low price we were able to completely re-do everything and still have $$$$ left in the bank. Our taxes are under 5,000.00 and we have over an acre of land with a pool. Our car insurance is also much cheaper and home insurance as well.
THe winters I figured I will probably be crying but I guess I will have to get a winter home in Florida....LOL!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 PM

237 posts, read 855,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
NC no way,unfortunately along with giving money for tolls you also give points from your IQ as you head south.Just kidding but some of the back wood areas are a little caught in a timewarp. Upstate NY near Rochester----beautiful.Taxes slightly better,cold winters,but home prices are great,very good schools,hospitals,and quality of life!!!
Lancet,

Thats what we thought about the rural NC areas, but areas such as charlotte have very backwards ideas and thinking, so id hate to see rurla NC if that is worse.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM

42 posts, read 159,660 times
we're moving to Texas! Cost of living is less- our jobs will have higher salaries (believe it or not) and the community where we are moving to is like a resort! 7 pools, master planned community.

We just want a better quality of life. Long island is just getting too expensive for us. I would love to have stayed here but we would never OWN our house!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiamodfw View Post
we're moving to Texas! Cost of living is less- our jobs will have higher salaries (believe it or not) and the community where we are moving to is like a resort! 7 pools, master planned community.

We just want a better quality of life. Long island is just getting too expensive for us. I would love to have stayed here but we would never OWN our house!
Sounds great! Where in Texas is this slice of heaven?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiamodfw View Post

But its Texas. I could never live in Texas, MAYBE Austin but even that would be a stretch. Way too conservative for my tastes

Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM

42 posts, read 159,660 times
You'd be surprised how much Texas has changed! there are people (living in the community we chose) from all over the U.S., mostly California, FL, and NY! I'll be surprised if our children actually have a "Texan" accent. The restaurants are really diverse and the people like i said, are from all over.

We are moving to a town called Keller and so many of those people are from Cali and ny that they are calling it "Kellerfornia."

There are a number of master planned communities being built- they include schools, pools, spas, fitness centers, dr. offices, restaurants, parks, greenbelts, tennis courts, b-ball courts, playgrounds for kids, waterparks, incredibly cheap housing all WITHIN the community!!! homes cost (in the community we found) 160+ It's really amazing. Check out websites of master planned communities in any state!

Levittown (here on L.I.) was actually one of the first master planned communities ever built! It had a similar concept of living. Homes close together, more family oriented, pools, schools, stores all nearby or within the town. that's where I grew up and loved that lifestyle.

anyway, just wanted to let you know there is so much out there. check out websites, do your research, and GO THERE to look. You will be AMAZED at how the cost of living is SO different everywhere else!!!! We can buy two homes for the price of one starter here. And they would be built brand new!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM

45 posts, read 175,110 times
Naw, I'm not leavin'. I just got here! ;-)

Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Lancet,

Thats what we thought about the rural NC areas, but areas such as charlotte have very backwards ideas and thinking, so id hate to see rurla NC if that is worse.
Charlotte is actually a very progressive city. It has its issues (mostly on how to deal with all the growth), but it isn't "backwards".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island