Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM

411 posts, read 285,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don't think you get it.

Density is there because of traffic and poor public transportation options.

If we had rapid rail such as many European and Asian countries, you could have people living "an hour" outside of NYC - in PA. There would be no need to jam people in Nassau County because they don't want to commute more than an hour.

Do people really want to pay as much as they do for a patch of grass in a fixer-upper house near a train station? No, but they have to if they want to escape NYC.

Why the...desire...to be near NYC? Could it be NYC is desireable? Desireable is desireable whether you agree with the reason or not. Even if the reason is that it's close to NYC and that one must be close due to poor transit options.

You may not agree with WHY LI is desireable, but it is...otherwise folks wouldnt pay 600k for a 59 year old high ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post

Why the...desire...to be near NYC? Could it be NYC is desireable? Desireable is desireable whether you agree with the reason or not. Even if the reason is that it's close to NYC and that one must be close due to poor transit options.

You may not agree with WHY LI is desireable, but it is...otherwise folks wouldnt pay 600k for a 59 year old high ranch.
We'll agree to disagree.

I don't disagree with the word "desirable" per se but if it was so desirable why are so many people leaving LI? Why are so many employers leaving LI?

Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,026,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'd rather pay my kid's teacher too much than subsidize some evangelical ding dongs who will use my support to end Roe v Wade. Try getting eldercare services in FL vs NY and see what a red state with no income tax gets you for services. The tax plan is a ham handed direct fleecing of blue state taxpayers to prop up votes for the GOP in the welfare red states and ease the debt sting of the corporate welfare piece of the plan.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to monstermagnet again"

Oh how I wish there was a "reps x10" button

Old 01-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree.

I don't disagree with the word "desirable" per se but if it was so desirable why are so many people leaving LI? Why are so many employers leaving LI?
I don't know if that's true, or if it is, new folks are replacing them pretty fast. Until we see a drop in population and an increase in property vacancy rate, we cannot say there is a net exodus from LI. We can analyze deeper and find inflow/outflow among age/demographic groups. But on the whole, there is not yet a mass exodus.

This reminds me of a restaurant I used to go to - it got so busy that no one goes there any more. :P

Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM

124 posts, read 107,951 times
Quote:
We'll agree to disagree.

It will always be a chicken/egg argument to the folks who feel the need to justify living there. River in Egypt Syndrome.

Folks come here due to proximity to Charlotte. Few leave due to being disgusted with life here. Employers are flocking to Charlotte in droves. The salaries are not as far off as one might think, and many people work from home here. The COL and thus QOL here is exponentially better. It pales in comparison.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to monstermagnet again"

Oh how I wish there was a "reps x10" button
Amazing, isn't it, how we in the blue states prop up these low IQ red States, and are now being asked to pay in even more in the form of double taxation.

Imagine if the red states became their own nation. They'd have no innovation, poor services...just a lot of land, a lot of cheap manufacrturing capacity, a lot of natural resources, and politicans who only cared about the rich. Sounds like a typical 3rd world country.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I don't know if that's true, or if it is, new folks are replacing them pretty fast. Until we see a drop in population and an increase in property vacancy rate, we cannot say there is a net exodus from LI. We can analyze deeper and find inflow/outflow among age/demographic groups. But on the whole, there is not yet a mass exodus.

This reminds me of a restaurant I used to go to - it got so busy that no one goes there any more. :P
Give it time.....

Also - and I know this is not going to go over well, but the truth hurts sometimes. Many who buy there aren't the most intelligent folks..They don't exactly do their research and either regret it afterward and leave, or complacently accept the reaming, thinking that making that big 6 figure salary is worth giving most of it to the bank and government...it's a vicious cycle. I started picking up on that when I went to kids functions and getting to know the neighbors. Many couples were two 6 figure salaries living paycheck to paycheck with their leased Lexuses in their driveways, fronting the appearance of success while pulling their hair out at the dinner table.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Amazing, isn't it, how we in the blue states prop up these low IQ red States, and are now being asked to pay in even more in the form of double taxation..
What's truly amazing is that you accept it. That's the point.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM

31 posts, read 19,062 times
So, brass tacks - when is this bill being sent to the House for vote? And is it prospective, or retroactive? Lot of fluff without any facts on this supposed bill.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
It will always be a chicken/egg argument to the folks who feel the need to justify living there. River in Egypt Syndrome.

Folks come here due to proximity to Charlotte. Few leave due to being disgusted with life here. Employers are flocking to Charlotte in droves. The salaries are not as far off as one might think, and many people work from home here. The COL and thus QOL here is exponentially better. It pales in comparison.

Just my opinion.
A friend of mine left LI for Charlotte. Loves it there. Transferred with his salary intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island