Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:09 AM

304 posts, read 779,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You will get dinged for something. Can’t go back on it now.

Never let an inspector in. Ever.
Yup...lesson learned the hard way.
Any guesstimates as to how much they might get me for? Hope not in the thousands. All the work were relatively minor, cosmetic in nature & didn't need permits.

@tj2013 - I was not thinking at the time. Plus new to LI & a 1st time home owner.

Thanks again all for your info/responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM

2,691 posts, read 2,306,871 times
If they come back do not let them in. You didn't move walls or make an addition. They will prob find something minor like not having smoke detector in evey bedroom.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,033,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev101 View Post
Yup...lesson learned the hard way.
Any guesstimates as to how much they might get me for? Hope not in the thousands. All the work were relatively minor, cosmetic in nature & didn't need permits.

At this point your best bet is to make sure you're in the loop re: what the Building Dept and Assessor's Office are doing. If I were in your unenviable position I'd go to both offices in person, smile and make a special effort to be agreeable (you don't want to be perceived as the homeowner from hell and as my mom used to say, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar) and see if you can find out what's going on. Play up that you are a first-time homeowner and new to Long Island, and the clerk may even be sympathetic. Don't go in there with a chip on your shoulder. A little air of befuddlement on your part can work to your advantage.

I don't mean to be sexist but if you're a woman you will have an advantage in the garnering-sympathy/assistance department, especially if the person you speak to in either department is a man. (I'm a woman so please don't anyone get up in arms over me saying that, but in many cases it's true as long as one doesn't come off as confrontational, whiney, or a b****.)

Anyway, what you want to do is get more insight into what will happen from here, so that you're not caught by surprise. The inspector no doubt has put notes into the file; with any luck you may get to read them. Be aware that even though you're the owner you will probably need to fill out a FOIL request form and come back another day. Each office is different in how they handle that. But keep smiling and being pleasant and you may skate by with this yet. Play it by ear.

P.S. - Go in person if you possibly can; I've always gotten much better results that way. You want to stick in their mind as "that nice man/woman who came in asking about 123 Main Street" instead of yet another eminently forgettable faceless phone call among the dozens that person gets every day (most of which are PITA's and/or complaints, so they all run together).

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-20-2019 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
If they come back do not let them in. You didn't move walls or make an addition. They will prob find something minor like not having smoke detector in evey bedroom.
Hopefully the case, and easy to correct. But they always try and find something.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:44 PM

958 posts, read 1,102,141 times
Like the others said. NEVER ever let a Town inspector in your Home with out a warrant or court order.
I screwed up and Let 2 Town Of Islip inspectors in about 2 years ago. Big mistake. They Male and Female were very nice said The complaint was for a Basement Apt. I got nothing to hide said OK come in after I put the dogs away up stairs. [ 2 Black DANES]
Cut to the chase. I let them inspect the basement that at one time was finished [ no bath] Now just storage. Went south when the Female started to open the cedar closet doors. I asked why, she said looking for a bed and bath. I politely said we are done, it is obvious that there is not Living quarters here. Back up stairs, the Lady inspector said I need to check the second floor. I said That is were the Danes are. The other inspector even said , We are only supposed to inspect the basement. About this time ZEUS [ 207 pounds ] At the top of the stairs Barked . . With that the Lady said We will need to inspect the back yard for an outside entrance. [ duh you were just inside ?]
I told her That is where ZENA the Other Dane is. I got asked for an inspection twice more in the following months. Politely said NO.
About 6 months after that When my wife was home , she had a building inspector give us notice that you have to remove the vehicle [ My work truck [ pick up] Off the lawn. It was a dirt driveway next to the concrete one.
We looked into the law, No vehicle with a Engine may be parked over night where there is any vegetation.
Once your on there list, your so screwed.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,045,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
never answer door for anyone you dont know
The problem is, depending on the configuration of your front door and whether or not it can allow you to view who's there incognito (or if you have an outdoor security camera viewing the entrance, etc.) it could lead to the following:

You don't know you don't know the person until you answer the door...

Reminds me of the old Cheech and Chong routine "Dave's Not Here!"

Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
The problem is, depending on the configuration of your front door and whether or not it can allow you to view who's there incognito (or if you have an outdoor security camera viewing the entrance, etc.) it could lead to the following:

You don't know you don't know the person until you answer the door...

Reminds me of the old Cheech and Chong routine "Dave's Not Here!"
Ring doorbell fixes that problem.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Ring doorbell fixes that problem.
Again, without a line of sight or other method of identifying who's there without making your own presence known, you would be faced with a situation where the person at the door will see you. You could, of course, simply ignore the person or tell them to go away without answering/opening the door, but IMO for a variety of reasons, it would be best to avoid this scenario altogether if you can.

I am assuming you would have the people you knew instructed to knock, this would make the bell a cue not to answer door?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM

3,202 posts, read 1,586,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Again, without a line of sight or other method of identifying who's there without making your own presence known, you would be faced with a situation where the person at the door will see you. You could, of course, simply ignore the person or tell them to go away without answering/opening the door, but IMO for a variety of reasons, it would be best to avoid this scenario altogether if you can.

I am assuming you would have the people you knew instructed to knock, this would make the bell a cue not to answer door?
I think “Ring” is a brand of remote camera/doorbell so you can see who is there on your phone/pc.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/doorbells

Old 01-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I think “Ring” is a brand of remote camera/doorbell so you can see who is there on your phone/pc.
Well color me behind the times!....

I took the statement literally, not knowing it was a name for a device... Yes, that would do it, assuming one has a smart phone/computer, can quickly access it when someone rings the bell.

I'm just now learning how to upload a photo to a text, and am suspicious of apps for my phone due to security/use of too much data, etc. I also try to avoid the "technology treadmill" as strategically as I see fit as it can be an obsolescence/maintenance/ continual update money pit. But I suppose it's a lame menu of excuses overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island