Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times

Advertisements

10 miles? More like 500Ft
Hempstead-Garden City (Hempstead Turnpike separation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Usual rigmarole; Long Island and its various public school systems are "bad" because everything is segregated by race.....

The Sad State of Affairs in Long Island
Isn’t the FIRST question people ask when buying a home “What School District “?
Right or wrong, I guess you get what you pay for.

That’s why Maine is looking better & better. You could have a million dollar home & your neighbor lives in a trailer.

Last edited by Spanky25; 01-25-2019 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
I find it funny she mentions dix hills. 95% of DH goes to HHH and the rest to Commack. The district is 60% white and about 10% black 10% Spanish 15% Asian 5% bi racial. It has diversity and isn't Lilly white. You want to go to a certain SD it's simple buy or rent into it. I want a Lamborghini, I can't afford it so I drive a Toyota.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:20 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I find it funny she mentions dix hills. 95% of DH goes to HHH and the rest to Commack. The district is 60% white and about 10% black 10% Spanish 15% Asian 5% bi racial. It has diversity and isn't Lilly white. You want to go to a certain SD it's simple buy or rent into it. I want a Lamborghini, I can't afford it so I drive a Toyota.

I agree: Not to mention that Dix Hills (HHH) also contains a majority-black town called Wheatley Hts within its school district boundaries. If that's not diverse then I don't know what is..

Throughout the article, she makes a lot of solid points (like the severe history of housing discrimination on LI) but many of the points were also bogus too.

If she wants to write a compelling article and maintain good credibility then she has to be completely honest about the scope of the issue and actually suggest solutions to the perceived problem.

1. True, there are places like Massapequa and Floral Park that bus kids from diverse sections out of its town limits but there are also some districts that bus kids in from diverse areas of neighboring towns - Malverne (Lakeview), Copiague (N. Amityville), North Babylon (far-north West Babylon), etc.

2. She cherry-picks how she defines "diversity". How is an district that is mostly white, Asian and Indian not diverse when there are faces from various different parts of the globe making up the student body? And how are districts that are mostly black and Latin American not diverse either? If she had a valid reason for defining diversity that way then it would be strengthened her argument to explain why.

3. Sewanhaka and Elmont schools actually perform pretty strong by most metrics. Elmont SD (as well as Malverne SD) are often touted and praised for being majority-black school systems that maintain high avg student performance. She attempts to mislead the reader into thinking that these are underfunded poor school systems when they are far from that. I think a more valid argument point would've been how these higher-performing minority districts can overcome the stigma and stereotypes of outsiders who instantly condemn it due to their racial makeups (which actually is a valid example of racism on LI).

I think she would've made a far stronger impact by providing tips for parents on how to maintain high-performing children in these types of settings. She became a doctor so I'm sure she had some valid suggestions. Way too much of the article was misleading.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-26-2019 at 05:50 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 05:33 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Any article that spouts the 'white privilege' fairy tale should be taken with the same seriousness as one citing unicorns and the Easter Bunny.

"This historic chasm in access to resources is not accidental. It is the brainchild of White privilege. Long Island and the education that its students receive is clearly defined along racial lines."

As if to confirm its irrelevance, the article uses the oh-so-hip and oh-so-woke word "latinx".

"The fact is that they don’t want any disruption to their privileged status. They want things to stay just the way they are. Keep those Blacks and Latinx out of “their” neighborhoods and, consequently, out of “their” schools."

For those dinosaurs not hip to the latest fad words: Latinx = a person of Latin American origin or descent (used as a gender-neutral or nonbinary alternative to Latino or Latina).

Old 01-26-2019, 05:36 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Any article that spouts the 'white privilege' fairy tale should be taken with the same seriousness as one citing unicorns and the Easter Bunny.

"This historic chasm in access to resources is not accidental. It is the brainchild of White privilege. Long Island and the education that its students receive is clearly defined along racial lines."

As if to confirm its irrelevance, the article uses the oh-so-hip and oh-so-woke word "latinx".

"The fact is that they don’t want any disruption to their privileged status. They want things to stay just the way they are. Keep those Blacks and Latinx out of “their” neighborhoods and, consequently, out of “their” schools."

For those dinosaurs not hip to the latest fad words: Latinx = a person of Latin American origin or descent (used as a gender-neutral or nonbinary alternative to Latino or Latina).
Yep as soon as I saw “Latinx” any tiny shred of credibility went out the window.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I think it's fair to say there are good teachers in every district. Haven't had any kids in the school system for some years now, but our formula was to stay on top of the kids, make sure they do their homework every night, actually spend time with them the night before tests. We did amazing things like quizzing them on vocabulary words and spelling bees.
It works the same in Jericho, Central Islip, Syosset, and Wyandanch.
Parenting what a novel idea!

Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

To be completely honest, and I know this is a can of worms, but I believe that there are *certain* privileges that exist based on race just like how there are *certain* privileges that exist based off of age, disability status, nationality, class at birth and gender. There's no harm in admitting this, it doesn't make us bad people to acknowledge it and its why we have these laws and protections around that attempt to alleviate it.

And this usually leads to the question, "Does that mean that a poor white person will have it easier than rich black person?"

The answer would be probably not since the rich black person also has major privileges based on class. Its also important not to compare apples & oranges since that same rich black person would likely still have unique challenges of varying degrees in comparison to the equivalent rich white person such as public perception, the higher-risk of losing their class status and probably even less generational wealth.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-26-2019 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-26-2019, 06:11 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Isn't it racist to believe that blacks and other minority students can only excel when they are mixed in with whites?
The biggest indicator of academic success in general is socioeconomic status. People who buy in better areas are usually more intelligent, have better jobs to pay for the more expensive houses, and pass their intelligence on via genetics.
Some of our poorest districts spend the most money per pupil, with limited results. Add an influx of undocumented non English speakers, and you get worse results.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I think it's fair to say there are good teachers in every district. Haven't had any kids in the school system for some years now, but our formula was to stay on top of the kids, make sure they do their homework every night, actually spend time with them the night before tests. We did amazing things like quizzing them on vocabulary words and spelling bees.
It works the same in Jericho, Central Islip, Syosset, and Wyandanch.
Generally, yes. But some of the Common Core methods means that a parent who learned things the “old way” can’t help - just supervise.

A lot of time - too much in my view - is also spent on preparing for standardized tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island