Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:26 AM

190 posts, read 152,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
rest of us are picking up the slack for you not paying your fair share in taxes.

sanitation, school services, other services, not to mention i doubt you're claiming rent on your federal taxes.

Explain how are you picking up the slack. I never understand this. You're not taxed by how many people live in your home. Talk about fair share? What about the people paying school tax and don't have any school age children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,382 times
Default Apartment

Hi - I dont think that anyone reported you. I received one of these letters too. Check this article:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sty-1.26595647

I agree with the can of worms though. Ill completely remove my finished basement but dont want to deal with anything beyond that.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 AM

852 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
rest of us are picking up the slack for you not paying your fair share in taxes.

sanitation, school services, other services, not to mention i doubt you're claiming rent on your federal taxes.
Exactly! It's not about neighbors not being inconvenienced by cars and the such. It's about the extra services that the rest of your neighbors are paying for through their taxes on behalf of your tenants (extra garbage to pick up, police, library, etc, etc). Why should people doing illegal stuff get a free ride?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 AM

852 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
Explain how are you picking up the slack. I never understand this. You're not taxed by how many people live in your home. Talk about fair share? What about the people paying school tax and don't have any school age children?
Taxpayers ALL chip in for police protection, fire department services, government representation and leadership, library services, road repair, snow removal, garbage pick up, sewers, public health services, etc, etc.

And even if you've NEVER had to call the fire dept or police (which I haven't in my whole life), just like some childless person never uses the public schools, contributing to all of these is part of a social contract. We contribute to them in order to live in a community. So your illegal tenants have a household that benefits from any and all of these while not contributing. Now who do you think has to pick up their part? THE REST OF US!

Old 02-17-2019, 11:22 AM

7,920 posts, read 9,141,684 times
Quote:
Because unlike NYC, there is no income tax on LI. Property taxes are the main source of income for everything from schools to social services and infrastructure. Tenants in illegal apartments are paying nothing in taxes. They are parasites. Scumbag landlords who have illegal apartments are not paying the correct amount of property tax that they should for having an income producing property, never mind the loss of federal and state tax that they should be paying as well on the income generated by the illegal apartment.
I love to hear their crying posts about how they have to take out the apartment. Boo f'n hoo. Do it right the first time with a legal multi family home, pay your proper taxes and take the subsequent deductions that a proper landlord business can take, and you won't have a worry in the world if a neighbor wants to report your apartment.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM

22,661 posts, read 36,747,725 times
Quote:
Because the tax base is based on "X" number of houses which should roughly translate to "we need X number of people to provide services for those houses". In town with tons of illegal housing there are way more kids than are being accounted for in the schools, for instance. There's also more garbage generated, water used, sewage treated, usually cars parked on the streets, etc etc.

And as noted, even if you never have kids, or use the services provided, it is part of the "greater good" to provide for those things.

Last edited by twingles; 02-17-2019 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 01:27 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,793,961 times
Those who rent out their homes aren't entitled to the STAR rebate, as a rental house is classified as a commercial property. Chances are the OP is taking a full rebate from NYS as well. Only the portion lived in by the owner qualifies. If this case goes through a full process he or she may have to pay back the tax savings.

I agree with the sentiments above: buy a two family and do it legally. All LI municipalities are hungry for money and they'll come right after you.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...ligibility.htm

Old 02-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Taxpayers ALL chip in for police protection, fire department services, government representation and leadership, library services, road repair, snow removal, garbage pick up, sewers, public health services, etc, etc.

And even if you've NEVER had to call the fire dept or police (which I haven't in my whole life), just like some childless person never uses the public schools, contributing to all of these is part of a social contract. We contribute to them in order to live in a community. So your illegal tenants have a household that benefits from any and all of these while not contributing. Now who do you think has to pick up their part? THE REST OF US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Because unlike NYC, there is no income tax on LI. Property taxes are the main source of income for everything from schools to social services and infrastructure. Tenants in illegal apartments are paying nothing in taxes. They are parasites. Scumbag landlords who have illegal apartments are not paying the correct amount of property tax that they should for having an income producing property, never mind the loss of federal and state tax that they should be paying as well on the income generated by the illegal apartment.
I love to hear their crying posts about how they have to take out the apartment. Boo f'n hoo. Do it right the first time with a legal multi family home, pay your proper taxes and take the subsequent deductions that a proper landlord business can take, and you won't have a worry in the world if a neighbor wants to report your apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Because the tax base is based on "X" number of houses which should roughly translate to "we need X number of people to provide services for those houses". In town with tons of illegal housing there are way more kids than are being accounted for in the schools, for instance. There's also more garbage generated, water used, sewage treated, usually cars parked on the streets, etc etc.

And as noted, even if you never have kids, or use the services provided, it is part of the "greater good" to provide for those things.

Trying to justify your argument by using economics or town finances is illogical. Here why: A Four Bedroom home with a family of six vs. A Four Bedroom home with two homeowners illegally renting out their upstairs to a family of 4. It's the same thing. It's just technically one's related and the other is not. When I purchased my home, the Town did not ask me how many people would be living in my home. I could have 10 people living in my home. That's not illegal. In long island "fair share" does not coincide with how many people live in your home. If it did then you would have a point. Long Island assesses your home, and says $XXXXX is how much you will pay in property tax. They don't say well you also have 10 people living with you so you will have to pay a little extra. Your definition of fair share is simply everyone in the home is related.

I feel like this... we all need some place to live. As long as you are respectful to the neighborhood, and your home is up to code, live and let live. Speaking of fair share, how about all the businesses that take cash and don't pay taxes on that money. Hmmmmm! I'm sure some of you on here are very familiar with that.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM

7,920 posts, read 9,141,684 times
Quote:
Trying to justify your argument by using economics or town finances is illogical. Here why: A Four Bedroom home with a family of six vs. A Four Bedroom home with two homeowners illegally renting out their upstairs to a family of 4. It's the same thing. It's just technically one's related and the other is not. When I purchased my home, the Town did not ask me how many people would be living in my home. I could have 10 people living in my home. That's not illegal. In long island "fair share" does not coincide with how many people live in your home. If it did then you would have a point. Long Island assesses your home, and says $XXXXX is how much you will pay in property tax. They don't say well you also have 10 people living with you so you will have to pay a little extra. Your definition of fair share is simply everyone in the home is related.

I feel like this... we all need some place to live. As long as you are respectful to the neighborhood, and your home is up to code, live and let live. Speaking of fair share, how about all the businesses that take cash and don't pay taxes on that money. Hmmmmm! I'm sure some of you on here are very familiar with that.
Doesn't matter what you believe. The zoning laws are what they are. Follow the rules, no problem. Don't follow them then you need to worry like the OP.
The assessment on a house with an illegal apartment is wrong. It should be valued more than the same home without an apartment because of the income it can produce. So it should pay more in taxes than a legal home with the same square footage, etc

Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Doesn't matter what you believe. The zoning laws are what they are. Follow the rules, no problem. Don't follow them then you need to worry like the OP.
The assessment on a house with an illegal apartment is wrong. It should be valued more than the same home without an apartment because of the income it can produce. So it should pay more in taxes than a legal home with the same square footage, etc

So it's a taxation issue... not a "fair share" issue? OK that's more understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: