Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM

25 posts, read 30,272 times

Advertisements

Hi all, great forum here. In the early stages of a home search on long island. I was curious about certain sections within neighborhoods with their own names such as Viceroy Estates, Lenox Hill in Farmingdale, Wantagh Woods in Wantagh, etc. I've seen others from awhile back in south Massapequa as well. Is there any benefit or difference to moving into these sections? My wife and I thought some of these neighborhoods were nice but really liked the part of Farmingdale that was Viceroy. Is there a way to search for these particular areas within towns in nassau county and suffolk? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 03:17 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,724,194 times
For the most part, these are names given by developers when the homes were first built. If you are looking for a particular one, you might use the "Keyword Search" function on MLSLI.com. It will not pick up all of them, only if the agent entered the name in the description.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM

25 posts, read 30,272 times
thanks !

Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,758,525 times
In many cases the boundaries of such areas are open to question, but there probably is no need for a solid delineation anyway. You need to know a street or two in the area and broaden a search from there using a map view.

I would describe Wantagh Woods as that area between Wantagh Avenue and the SOB Expressway. North/south could be Park Avenue or Bunker on the south and Lufberry or Jerusalem Ave on the north. There are some streets within those boundaries with few old growth oaks so some people may not include them as that was the origin of the name, possibly by the developer who built houses on the streets named for colleges.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum2000 View Post
Hi all, great forum here. In the early stages of a home search on long island. I was curious about certain sections within neighborhoods with their own names such as Viceroy Estates, Lenox Hill in Farmingdale, Wantagh Woods in Wantagh, etc. I've seen others from awhile back in south Massapequa as well. Is there any benefit or difference to moving into these sections? My wife and I thought some of these neighborhoods were nice but really liked the part of Farmingdale that was Viceroy. Is there a way to search for these particular areas within towns in nassau county and suffolk? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
For the most part, these are names given by developers when the homes were first built. If you are looking for a particular one, you might use the "Keyword Search" function on MLSLI.com. It will not pick up all of them, only if the agent entered the name in the description.
You raise a good question.

Tom is right, I think most of these were names that developers gave their developments when they first start building them. Some of them survived, for instance, Amity Harbor, Copiague Harbor, American Venice and Venetian Shores are all small neighborhoods down by the water within Copiague and Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon.

The problem is that most people will not know that unless they locally live in the Town of Babylon. They may wonder why there is a park called Venetian Shores down in Lindenhurst but the information available about why that is limited, unless you meet a local resident who knows the history.

Town of Babylon (Venetian Shores Park)

Old 02-14-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Call Me Rubberneck View Post
The names are overblown fluff to make one part of an area seem more desirable than another and hopefully increase resale value. Homeowners and RE agents have been playing along with this silly game for years. Wantagh Woods could just as easily be part of Levittown or Seaford. In fact I believe there are some basement-less Levitt capes in the WW area.

It's a crock.
Not sure where you're going here, or why, but Wantagh Woods was called that because it was built in a forest of largely oak trees with very selective clearing. Most of those trees remain today. That alone can make the area actually more desirable, not "seem more desirable;" we've all seen descriptions include "tree-lined street" as an asset. We don't often see treeless plains touted as desirable. There were many houses that dated to the 1920's and many that were built in small developments in the 1950's - none were built by Levitt.

There are similar sections in Seaford but could not "just as easily" be in Levittown because there were no huge developments and Levittown was built on clear-cut farm fields - have you never seen early pictures of Levittown?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 AM

19,597 posts, read 20,426,931 times
The streets become less tree lined as the Queens immigrants cross the boarder.
Build that wall Ms. Curran!
Make Nassau great again!

Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Bay Colony in Baldwin
The Gables in Merrick

Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River In Egypt View Post
Have you never walked around the area?

You could spit from one town to the next. Woods, Heights, Hills, Station..Wantagh, Levittown, Seaford, Massapequa, all the unincorporated areas, all the same basic makeup of closet racist small minded short sighted arrogant white folk. Don't matter what part. Except East Massapequa. Youz in da hood when you go there.
Oh, and here I thought this was a forum about real estate, not a platform for would-be sociologists with an axe to grind. Never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island