Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,389 times

Advertisements

I think the trick here is to find those good areas of Huntington Station and then house hunt there. But in order to do that you've got to also locate those bad areas so you don't end up nearby.

But why even bother to look there if you can live someplace else that's just a few miles away? If I'm not mistaken, South Huntington has none of the problems that are near north HS and I believe the prices are just as reasonable with good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with South Huntington

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
If I'm not mistaken, South Huntington has none of the problems that are near north HS and I believe the prices are just as reasonable with good schools.

For those who may not be familiar with South Huntington:

South Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of South Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; on the east by the Hamlet of Dix Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of Dix Hills and the Hamlet of Melville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Hills.

South Huntington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of South Huntington have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746", "Dix Hills, NY 11746" and "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-15-2008, 04:49 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,720,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
I think the trick here is to find those good areas of Huntington Station and then house hunt there. But in order to do that you've got to also locate those bad areas so you don't end up nearby.

But why even bother to look there if you can live someplace else that's just a few miles away? If I'm not mistaken, South Huntington has none of the problems that are near north HS and I believe the prices are just as reasonable with good schools.
Everyplace has it's own issues. South Huntington is also a good choice, but, there too, some people do not like S. Huntington SD # 13. No place is perfect.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:46 PM

889 posts, read 2,399,458 times
Again, I work as a Substitute teacher in Huntington High School. I live on the border between Huntington Village and Huntington Station. I have NEVER seen a gang. I have children in the High School. My children have gone to school in this district since Kindergarten and It's a VERY FINE COMMUNITY. When you live in the Village and your kids grow up here...the station is your neighbor...and half their friends live there....I think I know my own neighborhood. Being a RE agent I also know every single block in both these towns and no one EVER said it was perfect... Yes, sometimes bad things happen in all places. I Wonder how the drug situation is in our neighbors to the west, Cold Spring Harbor where kids have more money to buy them. All I'm trying to say is that ripping a town apart because of opinion is wrong. Obviously your fact is a bit outdated since I see the article was from 2004 --no wonder I didn't hear about it. Let me google some of the Gold Coast towns to see if any murdrers happened there. Actually people tend to get robbed more in wealthier neighborhoods...Maybe that's why I haven't seen the gangs...maybe they went on over to Syosset. All I'm saying is You won't like it when the time comes to rip apart your town.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,598,457 times
Do some googling and you'll find the gang related triple shooting that happened at the end of last year. Did I mention the guy they nabbed for was also a child rapist? I'm just a little floored that a teacher could not be aware of the gang problem in Huntington Station... it's all over the news. Are you teaching in Huntington Village?

No one is "ripping apart" a town. I noted the bad area to stay away from, as did others. I don't think you understand the point of this message board, it is to give unbiased OPINIONS, good or bad.

I'll leave it at that. There is a wealth of information out there on the problem that you can educate yourself with if you choose to. Be aware of the problems facing adults and children in our communities.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,103,731 times
The best I could find on the story was a comment section and a dead link, so it looks like Newsday archived it.

I couldn't find a wealth of information about crime in HS but this article does give some numbers and some locations of where they are happening.

Suffolk Life Newspapers - Disputes Continue Over Hiring Hall

Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 AM

889 posts, read 2,399,458 times
Crimes on Long Island for March 2008

Town of Huntington
Huntington -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of Oyster Bay
Oyster Bay -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of North Hempstead
North Hempstead -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of Hempstead East
Hempstead East -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of Babylon
Babylon -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of Smithtown
Smithtown -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of Brookhaven
Brookhaven -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Town of Islip
Islip -- Newsday.com (broken link)

East End
East End -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Hopefully this will put things in perspective. There are crimes in all towns--from the most wealthy to the poor. And ripping apart someone's neighborhood isn't the right thing to do. Talk about Pro's and Con's...but simply writing it off and saying no one should ever move there....makes a lot of people feel bad who live there. You're not doing a service to anyone by doing that. Because next week when it's your town because of a surge in crime perhaps....well, I guess you won't be happy when your town is the target.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,598,457 times
You need to understand how message boards work. No one is ripping apart anything. This message board was put into place so people could get honest opinions on certain areas, good and/or bad. No one said "No one should ever move to Huntington Station". People pointed out the bad areas to avoid. You are taking it personally because you live in the area. Huntington Village is one of my favorite areas in Long Island, I'm usually there 2 or 3 times a month to eat out or for the nightlife.

I do not live in a wealthy area. I would tell people areas to avoid in my town as well. Instead of turning a blind eye to crime - everyone needs to take an active stance on preventing it, instead of pretending like it doesn't exist. I will provide you with a few links, the information is out there if you look, people are not making this stuff up.

1/10/08 - Another $100k for gang prevention in Huntington Station schools
Congressman Steve Israel : Latest News : Rep. Israel, Tri Community and Youth Agency Announce Nearly $100K in New Federal Funds for Gang Prevention
Quote:
Huntington Station, NY— On Thursday, U.S. Congressman Steve Israel (D-Huntington) and the Tri Community and Youth Agency announced $94,000 in new federal funds to enhance the Community and Schools Together (CAST) Project. This is an intensive gang prevention program designed to help at-risk youth and their families make positive choices through education and empowerment. Congressman Israel, Huntington Town Supervisor Frank Petrone and Huntington Town Board Members met with students and their families at the Huntington Station facility as they explained how their CAST involvement changed their lives and Executive Director Debbie Rimler explained how these new funds will make it possible to keep this program running.
http://www.guardianangels.org/pdf/1982.pdf
08-2007 - "MS-13 Gang "Entrenched" On Long Island"
Quote:
That's not to say that the MS-13 presence has not been growing Island-wide. "MS-13
seems to put its palm print on Nassau and Suffolk Counties," said Sliwa, with gangs
located in communities such as Valley Steam, Baldwin, Freeport, Copaigue, Brentwood
and Huntington Station. Other MS-13 influences can be found in Riverhead, he said.
"They're entrenched. They're growing."
Press Release - Preview (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/pressrelease/prview.aspx?id=ter&prid=310&year=2007 - broken link)
05-2007 MS-13 Arrests

Last edited by newtoli; 04-16-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,389 times
Isn't the majority of Huntington Station in school district 13? I know that fringes near the RR station go to district 3, but I always thought the Station was in 13 for the most part.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:19 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,044,941 times
Thread closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island