Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:00 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
If they are illegal, expect an even greater push to give illegals driver licenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yup, that's the Leftist logic.
Holy crhist on a cracker, does anyone realize how bloody stupid they sound dragging every single thing that happens in the world into the tired lib v con sheep argument?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 10:18 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
People driving around the gates is something that happens fairly often, and has for the entire existence of the railroad. As such, it's something the MTA should be dealing with.
NO, there are certain things that should be intuitive, presuming you have passed a road test and have a valid license. In drivers ed you are taught to proceed with caution at all RR crossings. (or rather you were taught that). We can't baby proof everything in this country. A car takes time to stop and is no where near the tonnage of a train in motion either full speed or just getting going. It is beyond stupidity to cross a train track when gates are down, period and if you do, you should not be driving ever again.

As an adult, I know intuitively that a stove, when in use, is hot to the touch and the potential to be burned is there if I am not careful. I do not expect the stove manufacturers to "deal with" that which is inherent to the item.

From what it appears, at least as far as I have read, it seems the driver may have been running (driving) from an accident, no matter how minor. Perhaps he thought getting beyond the train would make it impossible for the person he hit to find him.

Whether he was legal or had a license at this point is of no consequence. His stupidity, as well as breaking the law, is responsible for the death of two helpless passengers, in addition to himself. I can feel for and pray for the families they left behind.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,211,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Holy crhist on a cracker, does anyone realize how bloody stupid they sound dragging every single thing that happens in the world into the tired lib v con sheep argument?!?
Bookmark these posts, it will happen.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The should eliminate the grade crossings. But now, with everything built out, that would be a huge process.

They probably should at least change the crossing gates to fully close the road when they come down, so they can't be driven around.

Done on purpose so if someone is stuck, they can get out

Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
The ME can't identify the 3rd person till DNA comes back, but people at the store where they work know who he is....hmmmm.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The ME can't identify the 3rd person till DNA comes back, but people at the store where they work know who he is....hmmmm.

WESTBURY - The three victims of Tuesday's deadly train crash in Westbury worked at a supermarket there, News 12 Long Island has learned.
They have been identified as Jesus Hernandez, Saul Martinez and Miguel Luna, who friends called "Angel."
The manager of Fine Fare Supermarket on Old Country Road says all three were working before their vehicle was obliterated by two Long Island Rail Road trains.
Authorities say the men went around a downed crossing gate at School Street in Westbury and onto the tracks while trying to flee a minor traffic accident.
Surveillance video captured the victims' movements before the crash. Footage shows them pulling into a shopping center in a red Jeep, then at a barbershop and finally leaving a restaurant.
Friends say Martinez and Luna both had children.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:58 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
I read they left a bar, not a restaurant.

I'm guessing: illegal, drunk and probably unlicensed/uninsured. Karma gets you every time.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I read they left a bar, not a restaurant.

I'm guessing: illegal, drunk and probably unlicensed/uninsured. Karma gets you every time.
As soon as I heard it was three men in a truck of some kind, and in Westbury, I figured it would likely be undocumented immigrants. The fact that they were speeding away from a minor fender bender indicates that they were illegal, drunk, and/or unlicensed as you guessed.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Minor correction: it's not undocumented immigrants but illegal alliens. Who needs ICE if the LIRR helps out?
How do you know they were illegals if they were employed at the Fine Fair? Isn't there something called EVerify on the books and has been for years? Hate going off topic (but you did) into silly race crap, but just pointing out the "crisis" is easily solvable without walls or phony emergencies. Just enforce the employment laws. But neither party wants that, especially not the GOP.

No doubt ICE paranoia helped make these numbskulls flee a fender bender and turn it into a massive tragedy.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Aw, did we touch a Leftist nerve? You seem way too angry and bitter over a couple of lib comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island