Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You just don’t have the problem so you are unaware of the ramifications of credit unions ..unlike banks most credit unions do cross collateralization...google it rather than me having to explain the gotcha..
People have no home insurance either and never have a fire ...so the fact you don’t have an issue or are unaware of the issues you can have with credit unions does not mean they are not a surprise problem for others..
Only in NY do the institutions create their rules vs the rest of the country. In my experiences the loans were handled the same as any other loan would be, the mortgage was handled by a 3rd party mortgage lender with all the same requirements and credit checks that we experienced through a bank. You don't like them that's fine but I will take the CU any day, my last bank experiences was with Key Bank and that was horrible to say the least...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Capital One has been closing branches since they took over from North Fork. Last year they closed another 16 LI branches.

https://www.newsday.com/business/capital-one-1.19469069

But they are not the only one, a lot of the big banks are closing branches.

It may be something funny I noticed but I have seen a big turnover at Capital One since they took over from North Fork. Now I used to be in banking and normally people in banking stay in banking. So it is strange to see people at Capital One in their 40s, 50s and 60s suddenly disappear and be replaced by 25 year olds. Maybe something is going on or maybe it is just something anecdotal I noticed, I am not sure.
That's a very important observation you made - and we made it too. They are definitely discriminating & claim that all the staffing changes are to make the bank more diversified. They have been sued before for age discrimination too so you'd think they'd know better but the lawsuit settlement was probably less then what they'd otherwise have to pay out in pension and health benefits as those long time, loyal employees get closer to retirement.
Then the young, arrogant & entitled managers & their millennial staffers run the customers out and the branches down - which get closed - which runs the rest of the customers off.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:50 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
As a former employee of NFB, back in the days when John Kanas was at the helm and before the merger with Cap1, I can state with authority that NFB leadership was extremely stingy in terms of technology. Back then the excuse for us using Windows 95 when in 2001 the world had moved up to better windows platforms was that they were testing the reliability of the system in terms of client protection. We want to protect our clients. I was in the trust dept and it was always a difficult conversation to try an explain to a client why we were not online for many things as other banks were at the time.

In other words, the culture was to be stingy and it has carried on through the merger and even today. I had accounts there and have moved all but one and they are still lagging way behind in that dept.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:09 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Look at a bank with convenient locations. My family is at Chase, and we couldn't be happier. And if you qualify for Chase Private Client, life is even easier since they'll reimburse for any non-Chase ATM fees.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:22 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
It's pretty easy now to find a brick and mortar bank paying 2% or more interest on money market accounts if you can meet the minimum deposit requirements. Citibank and Chase are paying .01% interest on regular accounts. They are good for convenience since they have ATMs everywhere but it's silly to keep a lot of money in their savings accounts.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Bethpage gets my business. I love the fact that I can use any credit union atm or 7-11 atm with no charges.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Only in NY do the institutions create their rules vs the rest of the country. In my experiences the loans were handled the same as any other loan would be, the mortgage was handled by a 3rd party mortgage lender with all the same requirements and credit checks that we experienced through a bank. You don't like them that's fine but I will take the CU any day, my last bank experiences was with Key Bank and that was horrible to say the least...
Cross collateralization by credit unions is not a ny thing. It is a national thing done by most credit unions ..most who take loans are just not aware of what they agreed to.

I did not say I don’t like credit unions .. I said you need to be aware their loans are generally different then bank loans and nothing is a problem until it’s a problem .. then you learn the difference between a bank loan and a credit union loan

Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
And if you qualify for Chase Private Client, life is even easier since they'll reimburse for any non-Chase ATM fees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Bethpage gets my business. I love the fact that I can use any credit union atm or 7-11 atm with no charges.
How does that work with no fees? I thought they charge you at the withdrawing bank and then your bank charges you too. So either one waiving their fees is only half the battle, no?

BTW, Chase Private Client wants a $250k balance - why would you put that kind of money there with their abysmally low interest rates? You'd be missing out on hundreds a month.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:57 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
How does that work with no fees? I thought they charge you at the withdrawing bank and then your bank charges you too. So either one waiving their fees is only half the battle, no?

BTW, Chase Private Client wants a $250k balance - why would you put that kind of money there with their abysmally low interest rates? You'd be missing out on hundreds a month.
Why give chase 250k ...easy answer .. they gave as a big bonus in dollars to let them baby sit the same etf vanguard baby sat for us with no perks ....now we have all kinds of perks when coupled with our sapphire reserve card.. we keep a small checking account to pay the chase credit cards through . The 250k does not mean cash ..

Plus I have no trading commissions on my chase youinvest account and trade totally free which counts too.

Unlike my main account at fidelity where only some etf’s trade free ,here all stocks and etf’s trade free

Old 03-12-2019, 10:56 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
$250,000 at .01% a month at Chase is $2 interest a month vs. $416 a month at 2% interest at another bank.

I hope those Chase perks are worth at least $400 a month to compensate for the interest you are not getting from Chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island