Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times

Advertisements

Yeah! Let's throw away tax dollars, and just make the residents pay more. How the f does this make ANY sense?? I'm so done with li and it's bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
I don't care about usage … I am with the others who say I don't want a dispensary in my town.

Use all you want. Keep it from being sold in the county.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't care about usage … I am with the others who say I don't want a dispensary in my town.

Use all you want. Keep it from being sold in the county.
Yeah, let the leaders of the people in those counties and towns continue to live in a fantasyland where cannabis isn't sold legally, but the black market criminals continue to get free reign, AND fund their other illegal activities!!

After all, as politicians in NY & NJ are saying, "We don't want legal weed in our towns because we have to protect THE CHILDREN!!!! from easy access, once it is legal. Because legal sellers want nothing more than to lose their license to sell by not checking I.D's.

Let's pretend that the youth under 21 who live there don't have easy access now from their friendly neighborhood dealer.

The way NY & NJ will legalize will be with a bureaucracy of "regulators" (political cronies) making 6 figure salaries, that create lots of regulations. Because, as any prohibitionist will tell you, we have to treat this mostly less harmful drug than alcohol, like it was radioactive, or about to end civilization as we know it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Yeah, let the leaders of the people in those counties and towns continue to live in a fantasyland where cannabis isn't sold legally, but the black market criminals continue to get free reign, AND fund their other illegal activities!!

After all, as politicians in NY & NJ are saying, "We don't want legal weed in our towns because we have to protect THE CHILDREN!!!! from easy access, once it is legal. Because legal sellers want nothing more than to lose their license to sell by not checking I.D's.

Let's pretend that the youth under 21 who live there don't have easy access now from their friendly neighborhood dealer.

The way NY & NJ will legalize will be with a bureaucracy of "regulators" (political cronies) making 6 figure salaries, that create lots of regulations. Because, as any prohibitionist will tell you, we have to treat this mostly less harmful drug than alcohol, like it was radioactive, or about to end civilization as we know it.
Myself and plenty of other people know people who destroyed their lives from marijuana. I do also know people who have destroyed their lives from alcohol and other drugs … but I don't believe marijuana is all that less harmful than alcohol.

Any substance has the potential to be abused by people who either don't care or don't use it properly.

I take pride in my town and I don't want to see dispensaries opening up left & right. My town is gorgeous and pristine and has people living in it who also take pride in the town, to keep it nice and keep it up.

If these dispensaries become legal in the county, people from places where it is still illegal are going to flock to these towns to get it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:47 AM

305 posts, read 196,010 times
Seems to me that this is a huge potential revenue stream for the county and you'd have to scratch your head and say how come not on the band wagon.

UNTIL, you realize in Colorado the restaurant industry is up in arms because individuals who use, buy less alcohol. Hence, revenue for the restaurant industry decreases. So

So me thinks there is a behind the scenes lobbying effort that worked in Nassau and Suffolk.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post
Seems to me that this is a huge potential revenue stream for the county and you'd have to scratch your head and say how come not on the band wagon.

UNTIL, you realize in Colorado the restaurant industry is up in arms because individuals who use, buy less alcohol. Hence, revenue for the restaurant industry decreases. So

So me thinks there is a behind the scenes lobbying effort that worked in Nassau and Suffolk.
I'm sure the impact on booze sales would be minimal. You have people like me, I refuse to get a beer at restaurant with my meal. I can afford it, I won't pay $7-8 for a beer when I can go home after and have a 6 pack of said beer for $9-10! Plus beer tastes better on my couch.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:02 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post

There will still be a black market legal or not. You think the black market for weed just disappeared in Colorado? Why get overtaxed expensive weed when you can get it from a street dealer cheaper and tax free, then legally smoke it.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:11 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber11 View Post

It’s unclear how much localities would get anyway as the state is getting the lions share.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 PM

20,025 posts, read 20,831,761 times
I really don't care about people ruining their own life. I care about people ruining other peoples lives. Alcohol ruins more "other" peoples lives.

Disclaimer: I do not do any drugs. Prescription or otherwise.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM

305 posts, read 196,010 times
According to Forbes 15% drop in alcohol sales since legalization of pot, january 22, 2018. According to the social worker that I know, she says that alcohol is much more of a health hazard than pot.

Given what is going on in Long Island, the graying population due to lack of good paying jobs I think Curran is currying favor with her voters which typically are gray hairs.

I agree with legalization, instead of these ridiculous fee increases. What about the legalization of gambling NJ is making a fortune.

NOPE for NY because well we're dopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island