U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,991 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing a short sale property in valley stream. It is a 3 Bedroom 1 Bathroom cape. It is in very good condition. The asking price is set at 250K. I was initially looking in Queens and then this opportunity was presented to my realtor. She said that it will work because the taxes are - low 5k.

I am currently renting and need a bigger place (We have a son who needs a bigger room). I do not want to continue renting if I can pay couple hundred more a month and have something to call my own.

I recently paid off my credit cards and car, so my debt is zero. My credit is excellent. The problem lies with my income (53K) because I do not have a co-signer. My fiancé is repairing his credit.

My fiancé and I make about a min 89k combined not factoring my overtime (and his when he has the opportunity to do it). He is a Telecomm contractor so he can make a lot more than that depending on the available jobs. He will actually be starting the NYPD within a year or so that will lower his income tremendously but then it jumps to 35k after 6 mths of employment and the ability to do overtime.

I am trying to get a foreclosed/short sale so that I can put 3% and use the rest of my savings as an emergency nest egg. From my calculations we can afford the house (mortgage, water, gas or oil and all the other misc. everyday bills)

What is your feedback? Should we continue to rent and save up a bigger down payment in the next few years or take advantage of the flood of foreclosures and get something that will allow us to afford a house?

[SIZE=3]If we have a bigger down payment it might not be as cheap as putting down 8k on a 250k house as opposed to putting down 15-20% on a 400,000k house ( if prices are still that high) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I hope I made sense this house purchasing process is nerve racking so much to learn. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 PM

889 posts, read 2,198,328 times
Why is your realtor not answering these questions for you?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:04 PM

3,311 posts, read 8,555,801 times
First, you need to be aware that with short sales, the bank has absolute discretion about whether to accept the offer or not, and many of them are being very difficult about it. Expect a long and drawn out process.

Also, you are putting the cart before the horse looking at houses before you speak with a mortgage professional. You could just be setting yourself up for disappointment. If you are putting down 3% and your co-signer has some credit issues, I would suggest that you find someone experienced in FHA loans, since they tend to be a little more forgiving.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:15 PM

36 posts, read 127,786 times
Tom makes a good point about the time and hassle factor....you should try for FHA, however do a little research in the area you may find a better deal. Take a good hard look at the neighborhood. Be sure it is what you want. Valley Stream is tight to the city so that will be benificial for your fiance (how the heck do you get that little thing over the e ??).

Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 PM

you are so right Tom! Long and drawn out is certainly the case! Now they have short sale people who do all the "dealing with bank" for a percentage of commission. optionnext.com is one I know of.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:19 AM

27 posts, read 127,058 times
Very lengthy process and very frustrating....it could take a few months and you could waste money by having a home inspected with no guarantee that you offer will be accepted by the bank...

looking at your income, debt, credit you should get a loan for 250k... I just got one in similar situation...

Old 04-12-2008, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 23,370 times
Go speak with a mortgage professional first.

If you do end up going into contract on a short sale, please note that your purchase contract will be contingent upon the bank approving the short sale. That is to say that, you may wait 6 or 10 weeks in contract (hey gigi) and go through the process of getting a mortgage commitment, only to find out that you will not be buying the house. However, short sales are done all the time now, and you wouldn't be in that boat alone.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 AM

3,180 posts, read 9,070,450 times
Get a good attorney that is very familiar with short sales.Good luck.......

Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 AM

Charles? Is that YOU? lol

Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM

36 posts, read 127,786 times
Check out this articule about short sales...

Realty Times - Investor Report: Fannie Mae and Short Sales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or