Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 PM

3,261 posts, read 2,301,715 times

Advertisements

I just got our renewal policy. We paid $2650 a year for three cars, nothing changed this year yet the policy increased $900! I called to ask and they said their rates simply went up, mostly for Uninsured Motorist and Liability. Has anyone else experienced this recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 3,207,767 times
The reason I heard for my increase (no claims in twenty years) :collisions are much more expensive now because we have to replace backup cameras in rear end collisions, avoidance sensors blah blah blah,,,,

Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 PM

983 posts, read 715,697 times
Just tell them this: "i know how it works, so if i don't get the same rate as last year I'm going to shop around for a better price".

Old 04-06-2019, 09:10 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,017,595 times
Liberty Mutual is awful. They pulled the same trick with our homeowners insurance during the early 2000s, then ended up dropping us entirely after hiking the premium by 40% for two years running. We had ever EVER put in a claim. And they gave us the lame "higher expenses" and "increased risk" excuses.

Take a look at NYCM (New York Central Mutual) for auto insurance if you don't "bundle." I've found better premium rates (total) by shopping around individually rather than bundling both HO and auto with the same company (especially if that company is Liberty Mutual.)

Right now the best deal I've found is NYCM for auto plus Merrimack Mutual for homeowners. Both written through the same independent insurance agent.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:22 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,083,041 times
I went through the same exact thing with State Farm like 2 years ago. I think all these companies do this. It just happens to be that you got chosen this year for a rate hike.

I jumped to Geico and kept homeowners with SF since the home policy rate increases have been on or with cost of living increases.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Yes, all the property insurers are allowed to significantly rate-hike or non-renew a certain percentage of their existing customers "on a discretionary basis" every year. They don't even have to give you a reason.

When Liberty non-renewed us -- after 15 years as a customer with ZERO claims, EVER, and never late paying a premium -- I went ballistic and even got hold of someone at the State Insurance Board, who told me the facts of life about that. He said "you just happen to be one of the unlucky ones." It boggled my mind that Liberty could get away with hiking our homeowners premium by 40% one year and then 30% the following year and then flat out non-renewing it after that. But they are allowed to do that for a certain percentage of their NY customer base each year, arbitrarily, and it's totally up to them as to whom they choose.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:14 AM

376 posts, read 656,831 times
Insurance is not like buying a new car. They can't just reduce the rates for you if you say you are going to shop it. If you work thru an independent insurance agent they should be able to do that for you.

The insurance company can not just raise rates on a whim. They must file for a rate increase and it must be approved by the State. And yes, rates are goin gup because of the increased cost to repair cars.

Shop your insurance.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:15 AM

983 posts, read 715,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
and it's totally up to them as to whom they choose.
And it's totally up to us as to whom we choose too.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:19 AM

516 posts, read 1,065,497 times
Living on the South Shore of Long Island I do not feel I have any choice of auto insurance companies, If i unbundle my auto from my homeowners I am sure my homeowners would be dropped within a few years. I feel trapped, 40 + years with the same co and no claims, the rate increases are getting out of hand but where can you go ??

Old 04-06-2019, 10:28 AM

Why do you feel your homeowners will be dropped if you unbundle?

Are you waterfront or within 2 miles of the water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island