Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM

184 posts, read 1,544,666 times

Advertisements

You know, this particular forum just continues to amaze me...

I lived on LI for the first 30 years of my life (I now live in CT) so I'm familiar with the area, its roads, and still have quite a few friends there. My son works in NYC and has friends/coworkers on LI which is why he is sometimes on the road there. But you know why I have only posted ONCE before on this forum? Because for some unknown reason it seems to have (compared to the rest of City-Data) a disproportionate number of posters with a (pick one or more) negative, snarky, chip-on-shoulder, in-your-face or just downright unpleasant attitude. It seems like the Official Long Island Forum Sport is to jump, verbal guns a-blazing, on anyone whose philosophy or lifestyle differs. Doesn't matter what the thread topic is: demographics? neighborhoods? size of house? whatever. There are more nasty people on this forum than I've ever met in my almost 60 years of life! I feel sorry for people who are considering moving to LI and come here trying to get a feel for how Long Islanders act, because although I know that this forum doesn't represent the majority of the LI population, it sure gives the impression that Long Islanders are an intolerant nasty bunch with a holier-than-thou attitude.

The ONLY reason I mentioned how fast my son was driving was because I thought the differential might have some bearing on how tickets are handled in Suffolk. Knowing how THIS forum usually tends, that was stupid of me.

As far as my motives, my son is an adult and will make his own choices. He simply asked me if I knew whether Suffolk handles tickets differently than Nassau. I didn't know, and don't know any likely people to ask, so thought I'd ask here so that I could RELAY THE INFORMATION to him. What he does with that information is up to him and none of my business or anyone else's. How "looking for information" equates to "getting him out of trouble" is a bit of a logistical stretch, for crying out loud.

When was the last time you saw many people driving 55mph on the Long Island Expressway, the New Jersey Tpke, the Connecticut Tpke, Route 95, etc .....? To those people that do, that's very nice. You get a gold star. But if everyone who drove 70 or 75 on those roads got busted, they'd have to quadruple the size of the force and the cops would still run out of paper before their shift was over.

To those posters who answered my question in a civil, nonjudgemental, non-soapbox manner, thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
and I am sure you always drive 55 MPH in the right lane correct? Stop it, everyone, and I mean everyone speeds, it's just a question of whether you are unlucky and get caught.

Yes, actually I do drive at or under the speed limit. Everyone does NOT speed. That is simply untrue.
When you encourage your children to break the law, you end up with the kind of boy who was involved in the tragic incident where a speeding truck slammed into a limo that was on the way home from a wedding . "A great kid". his mom insisted.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-14-2008 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
You know, this particular forum just continues to amaze me...

I lived on LI for the first 30 years of my life (I now live in CT) so I'm familiar with the area, its roads, and still have quite a few friends there. My son works in NYC and has friends/coworkers on LI which is why he is sometimes on the road there. But you know why I have only posted ONCE before on this forum? Because for some unknown reason it seems to have (compared to the rest of City-Data) a disproportionate number of posters with a (pick one or more) negative, snarky, chip-on-shoulder, in-your-face or just downright unpleasant attitude. It seems like the Official Long Island Forum Sport is to jump, verbal guns a-blazing, on anyone whose philosophy or lifestyle differs. Doesn't matter what the thread topic is: demographics? neighborhoods? size of house? whatever. There are more nasty people on this forum than I've ever met in my almost 60 years of life! I feel sorry for people who are considering moving to LI and come here trying to get a feel for how Long Islanders act, because although I know that this forum doesn't represent the majority of the LI population, it sure gives the impression that Long Islanders are an intolerant nasty bunch with a holier-than-thou attitude.

The ONLY reason I mentioned how fast my son was driving was because I thought the differential might have some bearing on how tickets are handled in Suffolk. Knowing how THIS forum usually tends, that was stupid of me.

As far as my motives, my son is an adult and will make his own choices. He simply asked me if I knew whether Suffolk handles tickets differently than Nassau. I didn't know, and don't know any likely people to ask, so thought I'd ask here so that I could RELAY THE INFORMATION to him. What he does with that information is up to him and none of my business or anyone else's. How "looking for information" equates to "getting him out of trouble" is a bit of a logistical stretch, for crying out loud.

When was the last time you saw many people driving 55mph on the Long Island Expressway, the New Jersey Tpke, the Connecticut Tpke, Route 95, etc .....? To those people that do, that's very nice. You get a gold star. But if everyone who drove 70 or 75 on those roads got busted, they'd have to quadruple the size of the force and the cops would still run out of paper before their shift was over.

To those posters who answered my question in a civil, nonjudgemental, non-soapbox manner, thank you.
Unfortunately alot of people want to jump all over your son like he is a murderer.Kids make dumb choices and we all were kids.The ticket is probably well over $100 and 20 + mph over can be grounds for suspending his license. If I were your son I still would fight it and if he has to play dumb and say he didn't know how quick he was going or question to see the radar so be it. Any one chastizing him should be ashamed. The holier then thou attitude is crap,and although he could have caused damage to others or worse it is still bad judgement and not murder.He might get off or a lesser $$$ . Just do what all us parents do. Give him the nice lecture,put your foot in his ass and move on. Good luck

Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 119,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
kbinspections, thank you very much for the information which was what I was looking for. I had a feeling that Nassau's procedure is not the norm but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

As for the next two replies, well, they've been given the attention they deserve.

rocafella, I've never heard anything either way about the validity of radar tickets, though I didn't even know there was such a thing as a radar printout. I have heard that if the officer makes a "material error" in writing the ticket (like for instance writing the license plate # wrong or whatever) the person has a decent chance of getting it dismissed.

They deserve much more of your attention if you have a brain in that skull because your leadfoot son is gonna one day be wrapped around a pole or kill someone else like the young kids just did to themselves in West Hempstead on the Island.

Pay the ticket and stop teaching him to find excuses for his mistakes before he finds out the hard way.

No soapbox. But if you post on a public forum, expect people to react more harshly then others, for different reasons. My whole point is the worrying about pleading this down and pleading that down. Pay the damn fine and learn from it. Like me and like anyone else who writes the check out BECAUSE THEY WERE WRONG. Not what lawyer or county is more leinient.

Last edited by bklynbob; 04-12-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 PM

17 posts, read 119,731 times
Amazing.

Your kid is 23, almost 24, ALREADY has 2 speeding tickets, one at 20 mph over, the other I don't know. Not yet 24. And you're trying to "relay" info to him about where he might be able to plea this one down to something like a stop sign or similar. Jesus.

And the only thing you can get upset about on here is other people's harshness. LOL.

The best answers ARE the harsher ones. WAKE UP MAAM.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 PM

208 posts, read 913,516 times
some of these responses really just make me laugh. I am sitting here shaking my head, it's just ridiculous. OP was right. they asked a question and were looking for answers, not an editorial on the terrible wrongs that her son bestowed upon the people of long island by driving his car 75 MPH. Oh my God, the horror.

If you don't know the answer to the question, don't post in the thread, it's very simple actually. If you want to discuss the ramifications of someone driving too fast and getting a ticket, start a new thread.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:07 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
some of these responses really just make me laugh. I am sitting here shaking my head, it's just ridiculous. OP was right. they asked a question and were looking for answers, not an editorial on the terrible wrongs that her son bestowed upon the people of long island by driving his car 75 MPH. Oh my God, the horror.
You know what else makes me laugh? People who gleefully brand me as a lousy parent and my son as a menace to society but at the same time not a peep of outrage from them at the way Nassau County handles speeding tickets. You'd think with all that righteousness being spouted over how people who speed should be punished, SOMEBODY here would have spared a few tar-and-feathers for that, right? Because Nassau's slap on the wrist automatic plead-down system is the same kind of enabling or semi-sanctioning that people are accusing me of doing. And for what? Because it's more cost effective for Nassau to do this than to schedule hundreds of traffic court dates every month! Automatically knock the violation down, kick the fine up, collect the money, done, finished, next case. Yes, people, it's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY in Nassau. It's not about "keeping the roads safe". It's about keeping the court calendars moving!

So if a governmental entity has set up a system that not only allows but encourages not being held responsible for a speeding ticket, who's more "at fault" there? The system that offers the "out", or the person who takes advantage of the opportunity being offered? Any sensible person would be a fool not to! And since Nassau does things that way, was it so unreasonable to ask if its neighboring county does likewise?

Ah, but it's so much more fun for people to flame others directly in a forum and thereby make themselves feel superior, isn't it? If they REALLY cared that much, they'd be making a huge public activist stink about policies such as Nassau's.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 PM

24 posts, read 207,241 times
Some of these responses have me laughing as well. People get speeding tickets. It's not the end of the world. My brother got a speeding ticket in nassau and they allowed him to pay the fine, but avoid the points. My friend got a speeding ticket in the village of Islandia (which is in suffolk) and they allowed him to do the same thing. I got a speeding ticket in the Town of Southampton (Suffolk) and they knocked it down to a parking ticket with a few hours of community service. If this is just Suffolk County Police with no more specific jurisdiction, then I would believe it would be safe to say that they have the same processes that allow you to avoid points.

Please guys lighten up and stop pretending your the role models of 'following the law.' I consistently always drive 15 mph over as do most people (and if you disagree then you haven't driven on the LIE lately). If my insane speed bothers you then get out of my lane.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheRhetoric View Post
Some of these responses have me laughing as well. People get speeding tickets. It's not the end of the world. My brother got a speeding ticket in nassau and they allowed him to pay the fine, but avoid the points. My friend got a speeding ticket in the village of Islandia (which is in suffolk) and they allowed him to do the same thing. I got a speeding ticket in the Town of Southampton (Suffolk) and they knocked it down to a parking ticket with a few hours of community service. If this is just Suffolk County Police with no more specific jurisdiction, then I would believe it would be safe to say that they have the same processes that allow you to avoid points.

Please guys lighten up and stop pretending your the role models of 'following the law.' I consistently always drive 15 mph over as do most people (and if you disagree then you haven't driven on the LIE lately). If my insane speed bothers you then get out of my lane.
Town courts in Suffolk differ from County courty, no plea bargins in county, not sure about the town courts.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 AM

62 posts, read 226,279 times
Default Not true

From experience, AND my dad was a cop. Not true. At the end of the day, it is their *profession* to make cases stick. This can be as simple as his word against yours, or a better case of "I trailed the suspect for over 2 miles and validated his speed between 74 and 77 mph the entire time."

Not all speeding tickets are written from use of a radar gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Dont know if this is true or not...but I heard that if the cop cannot give you a print out off the radar gun of your speed the case has no merit? Anyone confirm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island