U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 04:34 PM

18 posts, read 14,928 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a house and expanded our search to Lake Grove. The other towns we are looking at are Smithtown, Kings Park, East Northport and Hauppauge. Our budget is 550k tops. I don’t know much about Lake Grove and there isn’t much about the town on here. Are there certain better areas than others? How are the schools? Would a commute to West Islip or Carle Place be too far? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:46 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,154,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdood View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a house and expanded our search to Lake Grove. The other towns we are looking at are Smithtown, Kings Park, East Northport and Hauppauge. Our budget is 550k tops. I don’t know much about Lake Grove and there isn’t much about the town on here. Are there certain better areas than others? How are the schools? Would a commute to West Islip or Carle Place be too far? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks!
I’d definitely pick in this order:
1) Smithtown
2) East Northport (Northport or Centerport)
3) Hauppauge
4) Lake Grove

Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 AM

5,236 posts, read 6,553,004 times
I agree with Spanky but I would also add St. James to the top two...

Old 04-11-2019, 09:59 AM

2,881 posts, read 4,085,281 times
Stay out of Brookhaven. It's the worst run township on long island.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:19 AM

2,759 posts, read 1,703,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I agree with Spanky but I would also add St. James to the top two...
Be careful about the school district/taxes situation in St James though. There's a part of it that's in Three Village school district which means higher taxes than if the house were in the Smithtown school district.

If you are looking in Hauppauge be very cognizant of the high-water-table issues in many parts of it, especially in the areas surrounding Terry Road and Hidden Pond Park. Remember that you will have a cesspool, and groundwater filling up/backing up a cesspool is a problem you really don't want.

If you are commuting to West Islip your ideal house hunting location will be in "The Pines" area. It's Smithtown but is also Hauppague School District which means your taxes are lower. All of The Pines is super easy access to the Northern State and Sunken Meadow/Robert Moses which is a straight run right down to West Islip. During non-commuter hours it takes 10 minutes.

ETA: This listing in the low 500s doesn't mention being in The Pines, but it is. (a dumb omission on the agent's part) The listing doesn't give the lot size but all of the the Pines is minimum 1/2 acre zoned. So you won't have smaller lots than that. My guess is that this house will go in the high 400s because it needs some prettifying to bring it up to the rest of the neighborhood. It's all about location.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-268655952

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 04-11-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 14,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Be careful about the school district/taxes situation in St James though. There's a part of it that's in Three Village school district which means higher taxes than if the house were in the Smithtown school district.

If you are looking in Hauppauge be very cognizant of the high-water-table issues in many parts of it, especially in the areas surrounding Terry Road and Hidden Pond Park. Remember that you will have a cesspool, and groundwater filling up/backing up a cesspool is a problem you really don't want.

If you are commuting to West Islip your ideal house hunting location will be in "The Pines" area. It's Smithtown but is also Hauppague School District which means your taxes are lower. All of The Pines is super easy access to the Northern State and Sunken Meadow/Robert Moses which is a straight run right down to West Islip. During non-commuter hours it takes 10 minutes.

ETA: This listing in the low 500s doesn't mention being in The Pines, but it is. (a dumb omission on the agent's part) The listing doesn't give the lot size but all of the the Pines is minimum 1/2 acre zoned. So you won't have smaller lots than that. My guess is that this house will go in the high 400s because it needs some prettifying to bring it up to the rest of the neighborhood. It's all about location.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-268655952
Thanks for all of the information. I wasn’t aware of the high water table issues in Hauppauge. The Pines seems like a great place to buy. I’ll try to see that house you linked. Wouldn’t be a bad purchase if I could get it below 500k.

I like saint james but it can get a little pricey. I like Smithtown too but the taxes in most parts are insane.

We only starting looking in Lake Grove because we figured further east had better prices but I would rather stay west and north.

Thanks for some great thoughts and information everyone

Old 04-11-2019, 01:10 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,163,171 times
Lived in Saint James for 9 years, definitely loved the area and having a train station even if the commute to Penn was long. It's an out of the way little town that not a lot of people ever heard of so I'd have to tell them it borders Smithtown. I had a tiny 1000 square foot house on just shy of a 1/4 acre and my taxes were 7k.

Smithtown also has high water table issues due to the Nissequogue River. Google Village of the Branch flooding, you'll find news articles about it. We saw houses in that area with sump pumps and french drains to try to combat it.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM

635 posts, read 508,835 times
many junkies in Lake Grove. Its a pretty concentrated pocket of them there.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:38 PM

2,759 posts, read 1,703,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Smithtown also has high water table issues due to the Nissequogue River. Google Village of the Branch flooding, you'll find news articles about it. We saw houses in that area with sump pumps and french drains to try to combat it.
Yes, Village of the Branch is notorious for that. When I was house-hunting I wrote off that entire section because of it. As you say, it's because of the above- and under-ground location of the Nissequogue River.

The cesspool companies that service the Smithtown/St. James/Hauppague area know where exactly the problem streets are, so it's a good idea to check with them. AAA Cesspool has many customers in that area and when I was considering any house I called them (speak to/ask for Margaret) and asked how that street is re: the water table. A few times the sellers were customers of theirs and so AAA was able to not only tell me whether that house had recurring issues but also whether the existing cesspool is block or precast. Don't count on the seller or realtor to tell you the answer to that last one; often they have no idea, and sometimes when they do know that it's an old cinderblock pool they won't admit it. They figure you won't want to spend an extra $175-$200 to have a cesspool company come and do an inspection with a camera. DO IT. It is worth it. If it's a block pool it is way overdue to fail, and new cesspool/septic is not cheap, so best to know that going in.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 04-11-2019 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 PM

14,397 posts, read 9,617,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Yes, Village of the Branch is notorious for that. When I was house-hunting I wrote off that entire section because of it. As you say, it's because of the above- and under-ground location of the Nissequogue River.

The cesspool companies that service the Smithtown/St. James/Hauppague area know where exactly the problem streets are, so it's a good idea to check with them. AAA Cesspool has many customers in that area and if I was considering any house I would call them (speak to Margaret) and ask how that street is re: the water table. A few times the sellers were customers of theirs and so AAA was able to not only tell me whether that house had recurring issues but also whether the existing cesspool is block or precast. Don't count on the seller or realtor to tell you the answer to that last one; often they have no idea, and sometimes when they do know that it's an old cinderblock pool they won't admit it. They figure you won't want to spend an extra $175-$200 to have a cesspool company come and do an inspection with a camera. DO IT. It is worth it. If it's a block pool it is way overdue to fail, and new cesspool/septic is not cheap, so best to know that going in.
Agree 100% with doing a cesspool check. Also if there are fireplaces/oil heat get the chimneys checked. If there’s an outside oil tank demand it gets abandoned in place with a certificate as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island