Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:49 AM

122 posts, read 122,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
You need to look at the bigger picture-

Your link states that Nassau homes are currently valued at $517k and Suffolk is at $373k. HOWEVER, in August 2007, the median home price in Nassau was $503k and for Suffolk it was $409k:
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ity-1.13611744

This means that for Suffolk, homes have LOST equity and value instead of having ANY appreciation for 12 whole years! For Nassau, home value increased BARELY but have done horribly at keeping up with the rate of inflation so homeowners are still losing (ESPECIALLY when you factor in the cost of ownership like taxes & insurance).
That's because of congestion and property tax. Homes closer to the city and subways will rise much faster. Likewise, most homes far away from stations will decline in price.

Any time you have tax increases, it causes the value to drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Florida? No Thanks! I wouldn’t take a house for FREE in Swamp Land
Good, stay out.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1337 View Post
I'm a programmer. I can literally work anywhere in the world.
Good for you, so where did you go? Not everyone can work remotely, even those who are high earners.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
You need to look at the bigger picture-

Your link states that Nassau homes on average are currently valued at $517k and Suffolk is at $373k. HOWEVER, in August 2007, the median home price in Nassau was $503k and for Suffolk it was $410k as per this other Newsday link that shows ptlrice histories:
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ity-1.13611744

This means that for Suffolk, homes have LOST a lot of equity and value instead of having ANY appreciation for 12+ whole years. In other words, Suffolk is still severely underwater!

For Nassau, home value increased BARELY (so its in somewhat better shape than Suffolk) but it has done HORRIBLY at keeping up with the rate of inflation so homeowners are still technically losing bad.
These reports really need to seperate Suffolk into categories. Western Suffolk lets say to Commack and Dix Hills prices are moving. Lots of very deep Suffolk isn't minus the east end.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:01 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
I left Long Island 6 months ago and never looked back.

Occasionally, I check the news out there just to see what's up and every time I just shake my head. Congestion pricing (no cheap way off the island), LIRR increases, Applebees shootouts, heroin insanity. Could it get any worse? (It looks like Suffolk is dealing with the brunt of the decline.)

I can't believe I almost purposely bought a crappy $450k home and condemned myself to a life of long commutes, $15k+ taxes, $350 monthly LIRR passes, $19 tolls and ripoff PSEG. Yuck
Where did you end up?

Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1337 View Post

Give me one reason to stay in this **** island and **** city.
The pizza, bagels, beaches, whatever.

There must be hundreds of other threads on this very same topic. Working remotely apparently allows the OP lots of time to pursue his or her I Hate LI hobby. Just for fun, a compilation of similar threads would be entertaining.

FWIW, I also work remotely and burn my share of time here, so look who's talking.

As for locations, Florida was off my list of low cost places to move to, although I have an interest in visiting the Keys. "God's Waiting Room" is at the center of a storm belt, prone to sinkholes, and basically a hot, humid skeeter swamp with gators that visit your yard. No, thanks.

Every place has its downsides, but Florida has too many. You couldn't pay me to move there.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Florida? No Thanks! I wouldn’t take a house for FREE in Swamp Land
Me neither lol. FL sucks

Old 04-11-2019, 01:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The pizza, bagels, beaches, whatever.

There must be hundreds of other threads on this very same topic. Working remotely apparently allows the OP lots of time to pursue his or her I Hate LI hobby. Just for fun, a compilation of similar threads would be entertaining.

FWIW, I also work remotely and burn my share of time here, so look who's talking.

As for locations, Florida was off my list of low cost places to move to, although I have an interest in visiting the Keys. "God's Waiting Room" is at the center of a storm belt, prone to sinkholes, and basically a hot, humid skeeter swamp with gators that visit your yard. No, thanks.

Every place has its downsides, but Florida has too many. You couldn't pay me to move there.
If a place costs so little, you gotta ask why. You get what you pay for …

yup. Thank you, next

Old 04-11-2019, 01:53 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Good, stay out.
Notice how they ALL come back in some shape Or forum

Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
If you can work remotely and don't like it here then just leave.

Rails over Rails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: