Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

It was great growing up on LI (born in 1959 and lived in NY state through college up until 1981) but moved away for grad school (Atlanta) and have lived elsewhere (California most of those years, Miami the past 2.5 years) since. Enjoyed coming back for family and friends a few times a year and still enjoy visits. Long Island will always be home and I will be buried there after I die, but I could not see moving back there. I prefer visiting Manhattan these days and would prefer living there (if not for the winters) given a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 AM

78 posts, read 37,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Cheap living is cheap for a reason

And to the bolded, same

On the other end of the spectrum expensive living isn't always expensive for noble reasons.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:04 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Some of the horror stories you hear about HOA's overshadow the benefits of having one. You need to do your research on the community you're eyeing and the HOA, if any, attached to it. For instance, most HOA's love having us in the community, because our police cars act as a deterrent for the riff-raff. Some of them even ask us to park on the street, rather than our driveways or garages so that the vehicles are more visible. However, my first HOA kept sending me notices and violations, claiming that my marked police car violated their rules about having commercial vehicles parked in driveways. This was an ongoing problem around the State and it got so bad that Governor Crist had to step in and tell the idiotic HOAs that LE vehicles did not constitute commercial vehicles. Link. But HOA's also make sure people keep their properties looking decent and up to par. You just need to find the right one and make sure they're "middle of the road" and not little Hitlers running around on a powertrip.

As for FL neighborhoods vs LI neighborhoods, we've certainly got our cookie cutter neighborhoods down here, but LI homes basically all looks the same as well. They're all the same style in the neighborhood, with minor changes. For me, the cost of living on LI simply isn't worth it. I get the same level of service here in FL that I got on LI, for a fraction of the cost. If LI makes you happy, stay and enjoy it. If FL makes you happy, enjoy it. To each their own.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:31 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly23 View Post
After leaving for 10 or 15 years? What was it like? Thinking about moving back after moving out of state for 15 years---am I crazy?
They ALL come back! Either physically, mentally (by posting here) or physiology (trying to recreate something they once had in a different location)

Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilly23 View Post
One could argue that Long Island really does not have any culture aside from commuting into NYC to catch an occasional show or visit a museum. ---But there's something about the sarcastic, angry energy that I really miss -- It's kind of like diving into the ocean when it's 60 degrees

For me it's the overall sociopolitical difference between the South and up here. For an atheist like myself to move to anywhere in the Bible Belt would be the height of masochism, LOL, to use just one example. Religion is just too much a part of the culture there for me. But it's also that I'd be totally frustrated with the slower paced, laid-back lifestyle in most of the south. It annoys me just when visiting, so I know I couldn't put up with it permanently. I confess that even the sound of a southern drawl kind of grates on my last nerve.

Lower property taxes and home prices just couldn't offset all the aspects of southern culture that would make me really miss downstate New York. I realize that many Long Islanders feel the exact opposite and are dreaming of the kind of ambiance that would drive me up the wall, LOL

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 04-22-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
They ALL come back! Either physically, mentally (by posting here) or physiology (trying to recreate something they once had in a different location)
I know, how lame of some of us to keep up-to-date with the area where we grew up and where our families and friends still live.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
For me it's the overall sociopolitical difference between the South and up here. For an atheist like myself to move to anywhere in the Bible Belt would be the height of masochism, LOL, to use just one example. Religion is just too much a part of the culture there for me. But it's also that I'd be totally frustrated with the slower paced, laid-back lifestyle in most of the south also. It annoys me just when visiting, so I know I couldn't put up with it permanently. I confess that even the sound of a southern drawl kind of grates on my last nerve.

Lower property taxes and home prices just couldn't offset all the aspects of southern culture that would make me really miss downstate New York. I realize that many Long Islanders feel the exact opposite and are dreaming of the kind of ambiance that would drive me up the wall, LOL
I repped you

Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
I know, how lame of some of us to keep up-to-date with the area where we grew up and where our families and friends still live.
Just like I said.....”They ALL come back” in someway.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:12 PM

10 posts, read 6,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
One time I was walking in the woods down here, fell into a vortex and ended up on Mt Misery.
True story.
What do you meen and why say it. I dont know what it is and want to know?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:23 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I come here for the snark. NY'ers dish out quality snark you can't find anywhere else. Thank you for your contribution.

Last edited by manekeniko; 07-16-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island