U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:48 AM

9,669 posts, read 12,288,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I would expand search to Williston Park as well. Nicer than FS, good schools (Herricks better than Mineola but Mineola is good) good access to parkways for commute and closer than Massapequa and Seaford.
I second this to include Albertson as well. Both have same school districts, generally speaking west of Willis Avenue is Herricks and East is Mineola. Homes in Williston park are Chatlos colonials usually on 40 x 100 and some capes. Albertson is generally capes on 60 x 100. As I said, generally is the key as the districts do have strange boundaries. Homes in the Herricks districts will be more expensive. Herricks has a much larger asian population, last I knew figures 62% and about 25% white but an excellent district. Mineola, has improved dramatically in the past 10 years, while it still is not Herricks is it a really decent district. Mineola is about 60% white, but has about 15% hispanic population and much smaller asian. I lived there for almost my entire life before retirement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM

772 posts, read 621,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom147 View Post
I had posted on this forum about a year and a half ago, asking for opinions on where to look in Nassau County- we are moving from Whitestone, Queens. Our DD is currently 9 months old, and we want to start trying for baby # 2 soon. We love Floral Park/Bellerose Village- but the inventory stinks, and we can't find anything even with a 700k budget. We have looked at a few houses, all nice, but we are not sold on neighborhoods/schools. Many of these districts look good on paper, but I would love to hear from those who actually live there. We found houses we like in-

Wantagh schools- Forest Lake area
Massapequa Park- Farmingdale schools
Oceanside
Massapequa- Nassau Shores
Seaford Manor
East Meadow- McVey Elementary
Franklin Square- FS schools
Syosset
Merrick- south of Merrick Rd.
Wantagh- Levittown Schools

Any input on which of these in the nicest area with good schools? Any I should eliminate? TIA!
All are good. Syosset is probably the highest ranked school on your list, but I take those rankings with a grain of salt anyway. FWIW there are only a handful of truly "bad" school districts in Nassau county. Look out for flood zones in Merrick south of Merrick road (or any town in Nassau). My aunt had 5' of water in her house after Sandy and is still repaying the loan she took out to rehab her entire first floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Long Island is the most segregated place in America. You either have an all white school district or all black/spanish district with no in between. In Long Island, a school having 2 black students or 5 muslim students is enough for people to flee the area.

Um, no, that's not true.

Wantagh, Merrick, and Massapequa (in Mass SD) are the least diverse on the list but they are rated very well. Farmingdale is a mix.

Why only McVey Elementary in East Meadow? All 5 elementary schools in EM are well-rated. McVey is the largest (followed closely by Barnum Woods) but they are all pretty similar otherwise. And it's definitely a mix of people from all over the place.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 16,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post

Why only McVey Elementary in East Meadow? All 5 elementary schools in EM are well-rated. McVey is the largest (followed closely by Barnum Woods) but they are all pretty similar otherwise. And it's definitely a mix of people from all over the place.
We do not have a preference on EM elementary schools. The house we like happens to be zoned for McVey. Thank you for all of your insight. House hunting can be so stressful!

Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 21,437 times
i honestly would choose merrick or wantagh for $700k budget. it's a good balance of very very good schools, centrally located (meadowbrook parkway for north/south and southern pkwy for east/west), easy commute on LIRR (<50 min express trains regularly), and the towns are so big, there's always inventory of houses being bought and sold - if you decide to move again, real estate is very liquid.

we just sold our house in Bellmore, bought in 2012 brand new construction for $525,000 and sold this past month for $750,000 (we made some upgrades along the way). and Bellmore, is arguably the least desirable of the three.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

25 posts, read 9,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom147 View Post
We do not have a preference on EM elementary schools. The house we like happens to be zoned for McVey. Thank you for all of your insight. House hunting can be so stressful!
A fellow Quuens-er looking to make the move! We made it last year. Best decision ever. Was getting over crowded and too expensive. Look at Seaford, Wantagh, etc north of Merrick Ave to eliminate any flooding issues. Schools are excellent. Seaford schools are great and smaller compared to Masspaequa which is very big. LIRR in walking distance. Home prices very reasonable.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM

11,107 posts, read 14,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockym1 View Post
A fellow Quuens-er looking to make the move! We made it last year. Best decision ever. Was getting over crowded and too expensive. Look at Seaford, Wantagh, etc north of Merrick Ave to eliminate any flooding issues. Schools are excellent. Seaford schools are great and smaller compared to Masspaequa which is very big. LIRR in walking distance. Home prices very reasonable.
Pretty sure you mean Merrick Rd.

Also, there ARE places north of Merrick Rd that did flood during Sandy. There are flood maps online and they have changed a bit since then - I believe FEMA re-zoned.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 861 times
What about Williston Park? We live in FP and I totally agree, inventory stinks in this town. I love living here and if you cant hold out waiting for something here (although I would!!) Williston Park is a lovely spot and very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island