Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
It already started in the William Floyd Estate and parts of Fire Island. Federal land so state and local couldn't get in the way. Not sure it'll be that easy in the Pine Barrens.
I have a neighbor who travels back to take part. Pine Barrens can be done with bow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 04:39 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Quote:
It already started in the William Floyd Estate and parts of Fire Island. Federal land so state and local couldn't get in the way. Not sure it'll be that easy in the Pine Barrens.
Oct-Jan is bow season, all of January is shotgun season. We do pretty good already out here. 3,000 deer a year in those months according to the DEC. I see more deer in Stony Brook, Kings Park, etc. than I do when I'm home.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I don't think this "massacre" is about Fire Island. The deer on Fi are heavily protected. Scrawny and sickly, but protected. It's the suffolk towns or county gettin medieval on the deer that seems to be the issue.
When the area was less densely populated by humans, and people hunted for their food, 'massacre' was never used. It's just rhetoric employed by those whose love for the movie Bambi has left them wearing blinders.

Most deer on Long Island proper are heavily protected. That's why the population has grown exponentially. I can not just walk out into my yard, draw my bow (or shotgun) and take one of the 8 deer which was on my front lawn this morning. None of us can.

I wonder if body shops are seeing an increase in deer damage repairs? I see at least 1-2 dead deer roadside in my area weekly. No hunting here.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:59 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Believe me, there was plenty of starvation in this world even before humans appeared.

Regardless...fine, kill them and eat them, but plan on sterilization so this doesn't happen again in 5 or 10 years.

This problem was caused by the inaction of the Suffolk county. All those damages to cars and homes were preventable with sterilization.
Now, we must demand the smallest amount of killing possible and surgical sterilization for the remaining population, until there are no more deer on Long Island. Apparently that's what residents want anyway. To make them disappear.
They can't manage dog and cat populations with a species that likes humans and your recommending it for wild deer....

Good Luck...

Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
It’s funny how Long Islanders think about wild life, as if they lived in Bumpass and not in over built suburbs.
Deer aren’t anything special, we’re loaded with them here. One gets hit by a truck the buzzards and critters cLean a carcass in a few days.
Meanwhile, I was just up north doing spring yard work which included retrieving empty garbage cans that the local bears dragged off. They are clearned and left empty, but those hungry, post hibernation bears smell something.

This gets me thinking if those crying 'bambi massacre' would be thrilled to see a black bear standing between their house and car? Or have fisher cats crying nightly at the edge of their yard? Throw in a few coyotes or coywolves for good measure. Would they change their tune?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
We got wild turkeys walking down the streets and seals hanging out on the beach.
I'm in Stony Brook and we have wild turkeys. No seals to speak of.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
They can't manage dog and cat populations with a species that likes humans and your recommending it for wild deer....

Good Luck...
I agree!

Brookhaven considers cats to be wild and will not do anything about feral colonies. That has fallen upon volunteers to trap, neuter and release ferals. It is extremely frustrating as the area around the university has multiple feral colonies due to students dumping their cats at the end of the school year. I worked with a group of women to raise funds to pay for their neuters at a low cost clinic. We no sooner had the colony under control, shelters built, and feeding volunteers than more cats appeared.

Capturing and sterilizing deer? Feeding them birth control? What happens if other species accidentally ingest deer birth control laced food?

The cull is the most effective means in areas where hunting is allowed. In our more densely populated areas, people are going to have to start planting ornamentals which deer will not eat, erect deer fencing around their gardens, and hope for a few bad winters in a row to let nature take its course.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I can not just walk out into my yard, draw my bow (or shotgun) and take one of the 8 deer which was on my front lawn this morning. None of us can.

Quote:
I see more deer in Stony Brook, Kings Park, etc. than I do when I'm home.
For those who are seeing deer in neighborhoods like SB, KP, St James, etc., is this primarily a north-of-25A issue?

Because we live in an area of Suffolk that is south of Jericho Turnpike but north of the LIE and thankfully I've never seen any deer. So am wondering if either 25A or Jericho is forming a sort of "high-traffic boundary".

We lived in West Islip (various neighborhoods but all south of Montauk Highway) for four decades and never saw any deer there either.

I have enough to deal with already with rabbits chowing down on plants, so I'd probably go batpoop crazy if there were deer around as well.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I can not just walk out into my yard, draw my bow (or shotgun) and take one of the 8 deer which was on my front lawn this morning. None of us can.
You can actually. If you are on private land and have a NY State Big Game license as long as:

that the load or arrow doesn't pass over any part of a public highway,
within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church

OR

within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner’s consent.

NYS law in Suffolk county.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
For those who are seeing deer in neighborhoods like SB, KP, St James, etc., is this primarily a north-of-25A issue?

Because we live in an area of Suffolk that is south of Jericho Turnpike but north of the LIE and thankfully I've never seen any deer. So am wondering if either 25A or Jericho is forming a sort of "high-traffic boundary".

We lived in West Islip (various neighborhoods but all south of Montauk Highway) for four decades and never saw any deer there either.

I have enough to deal with already with rabbits chowing down on plants, so I'd probably go batpoop crazy if there were deer around as well.
I see them all the time just north of 347,and Nichols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island