Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times

Advertisements

OK, I know Hempstead is not the most desirable town on LI. Im a Suffolk County resident and dont really get to that neck of the woods very often. But today I drove west on Fulton St., starting at Hofstra continuing to West Hempstead and couldnt believe my eyes. Besides the fact that I couldnt read 90% of the stores sign(spanish?), there was garbage everywhere. Im talking papers, beer cans & bottles, wrappers, plates etc. Just complete filth! Is it always like that? And do they ever clean those streets? I thought they were trying to do a revitalization program there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
What you see, is what you get.....hard to believe it was the shopping macca of the 60's.....

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
What you see, is what you get.....hard to believe it was the shopping macca of the 60's.....
Well, the NIMBYs and ACORN ass****s killed a billion dollar plan to build 2500 condos, 500K of retail, and a performing arts center on 26 acres of crap. They wanted more "affordable" housing. The mayor of the village said most of the housing is affordable, and all the churches, etc. leave 33% of props off the rolls. They needed this development bad, but it didn't happen b/c of the dopey libs. I hope they get their act together, b/c that would only make GC more desireable. Maybe the Lighthouse project (fingers crossed) will spark something.

I did read something in Newsday a couple of months ago about a couple of new co-op and condo projects that were attracting young people, etc. One rental conversion was acutally 80% white...crazy. Maybe it'll pick itself up and become a vibrant downtown to flank GC, the "hub," and Mineola??

Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Well, the NIMBYs and ACORN ass****s killed a billion dollar plan to build 2500 condos, 500K of retail, and a performing arts center on 26 acres of crap. They wanted more "affordable" housing. The mayor of the village said most of the housing is affordable, and all the churches, etc. leave 33% of props off the rolls. They needed this development bad, but it didn't happen b/c of the dopey libs. I hope they get their act together, b/c that would only make GC more desireable. Maybe the Lighthouse project (fingers crossed) will spark something.

I did read something in Newsday a couple of months ago about a couple of new co-op and condo projects that were attracting young people, etc. One rental conversion was acutally 80% white...crazy. Maybe it'll pick itself up and become a vibrant downtown to flank GC, the "hub," and Mineola??
I saw a group of 20-something white kids walking down Fulton at midnight a month ago, really took me by surprise. Personally, I thought that development proposal stunk even if it's intentions were good; reason being that it would have destroyed about half of Hempstead's walkable downtown. Even if it's currently 26 acres of crap, the yuppies Hempstead needs to draw will be attracted to refurbished crap buildings, not malls. I actually think we might see a trend away from the popularity of enormous malls/shopping centers in the coming decade but who knows, that's just my guess. The reason the proposal got shot down ("not enough affordable housing") was completely retarded.

I think they might do well to stick another college campus right in the heart of the village. That has done wonders for areas similar to Hempstead upstate. At the very least might get some of that "affordable housing" occupied.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Hempstead is a huge haven for illegals. It's like visiting Mexico. It makes Westbury look like a picnic. Living there would be pure hell, I try to avoid that place as much as I can!
They really needed that revitalization project, it would've helped price the illegals out, and gentrify the area. Hempstead has potential, if only the politicians would stand up to the illegals instead of accomadating them.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I saw a group of 20-something white kids walking down Fulton at midnight a month ago, really took me by surprise. Personally, I thought that development proposal stunk even if it's intentions were good; reason being that it would have destroyed about half of Hempstead's walkable downtown. Even if it's currently 26 acres of crap, the yuppies Hempstead needs to draw will be attracted to refurbished crap buildings, not malls. I actually think we might see a trend away from the popularity of enormous malls/shopping centers in the coming decade but who knows, that's just my guess. The reason the proposal got shot down ("not enough affordable housing") was completely retarded.

I think they might do well to stick another college campus right in the heart of the village. That has done wonders for areas similar to Hempstead upstate. At the very least might get some of that "affordable housing" occupied.
I agree, but I think kinks could've been worked out to make it tremendous. I think there was a proposal to make Hempstead a "college town" with dorms/apts for Hofstra, NCC, Molloy, Post, Adelphi, etc. I think that, along with a nice urban campus like you said, would be a huge improvement. There's a lot there to work with, you have to say that. It's just too prime a location to not develop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island