U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 AM

29 posts, read 18,546 times

Advertisements

Hi,

After months of searching, I think I finally found a house in New Hyde Park, but after doing some research I am getting a little nervous. The house is advertised as 2000 Sq Ft and 10K taxes. I thought the taxes were a little low for the size, so I looked up the county records, and found the previous owner (deceased) had a $2500 credit for being a veteran..OK, No biggie. But what really stuck out was that the basement was listed as unfinished, when in actuality, the full 1000 Sq ft basement is finished and has a bathroom shower without a permit. Will the village ever have to come to the house to assess the property and possibly raise my taxes based on the basement?

I am from Queens and this is my first home, so never had to deal with a village and getting permits for every little thing. We also plan on doing some renovations, taking down walls for open concept feel and moving the kitchen for a better layout. Are these types of updates that would cause the taxes to go up? I am worried I may renovate the first floor and the village inspector would end up looking at the basement. Are there any ways around this? I know everyone just suggests to do this kind of stuff under the radar and on the weekends when the inspectors aren't roaming around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 18,278 times
Moving kitchen will cause issue without a permit if u sell in the future. The basement u can get by if buying as it is. Legalizing basement will increase the tax.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:53 PM

12,576 posts, read 16,069,628 times
You might get caught, iIf you need to have an inspection for any reason. I would make them get a permit for the basement bathroom before I would even consider a purchase.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 PM

22,149 posts, read 34,033,119 times
The basement bathroom is your biggest issue. They are notorious for not being tied into sewer properly. And yes if you do work in the future and need a permit it will all come into play.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM

256 posts, read 290,555 times
I also saw a house with illegal bathroom in basement. Funny, real estate broker told me: This is our gift to you.
Really???

What happens if you just want to get rid of this basement bathroom? Doing upstair bathroom renovation and keep this one in basement just to have usable bathroom while you are renovating, and then just get rid of it because you don't need it? Will inspection allow that?

Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM

12,576 posts, read 16,069,628 times
Several months before we sold, a neighbor had their home up for sale, with an illegal bath in her finished basement, which was also without benefit of permit. They locked the door and said it was a storage closet to the broker, who asked no questions. They, sold without problems and no questions asked. The new owners decided to do some renovations all very legally permitted and had an inspector come in to view the job. The bathroom (closet) was left open and the inspector saw it in the basement. These poor kids had to pay for permits plus penalty for something the prior owner had done. It was hellish for them, since they also had to open a wall so the plumbing could be checked and of course the electric had to be inspected. That was another charge.

Before we moved, I had the same thing for an a/c unit that was there when I bought the house, still there when I had a permitted addition to the first floor, and still there when I had permitted concrete work done. We got caught, when we tried to replace a fence and they said not until we legalized the a/c. This was about 7 1/2 years ago in TNH. Not fun.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:41 PM

29 posts, read 18,546 times
Thanks for the responses. I had the purchase home inspection done today and discussed with the inspector and he said he wouldn't worry because the bathroom is towards the back of the basement and away from the plumbing and electrical panels so the village inspector would not have a reason to go back there. He also advised to just keep the door closed and if possible blocked off with boxes or a storage shelf if we know the inspector is coming.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 8,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHM51 View Post
Hi,

After months of searching, I think I finally found a house in New Hyde Park, but after doing some research I am getting a little nervous. The house is advertised as 2000 Sq Ft and 10K taxes. I thought the taxes were a little low for the size, so I looked up the county records, and found the previous owner (deceased) had a $2500 credit for being a veteran..OK, No biggie. But what really stuck out was that the basement was listed as unfinished, when in actuality, the full 1000 Sq ft basement is finished and has a bathroom shower without a permit. Will the village ever have to come to the house to assess the property and possibly raise my taxes based on the basement?

I am from Queens and this is my first home, so never had to deal with a village and getting permits for every little thing. We also plan on doing some renovations, taking down walls for open concept feel and moving the kitchen for a better layout. Are these types of updates that would cause the taxes to go up? I am worried I may renovate the first floor and the village inspector would end up looking at the basement. Are there any ways around this? I know everyone just suggests to do this kind of stuff under the radar and on the weekends when the inspectors aren't roaming around.
Is the house in the village of NHP or outside the village? I lived in the village for several years, and had a dumpster outside my house that my contractor brought in (a day earlier than I had expected). Within a day I had a note on my door instructing me to call the Village Hall and disclose if any renovations were being done. While none were being done, and it was just tiles being ripped up from flood damage, the dumpster was gone after two days and they never followed up. Villages however, will always be more on top of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: