Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,027,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
I was mainly worried about keeping large flat backyards green and I figured it required scheduled watering, hence the need for in ground sprinkler, I guess we can achieve the same with hoses and those self rotating watering sprays, like you said just a bit of hassle moving them around vs leaving them out (potential cracking etc). How often do you have to water in order to keep the yard green if there is no rain?
Well, I take a rather Darwinian approach to gardening: Survival (and choosing) of the the fittest. I don't worry if the grass isn't emerald-green in July and August, because the natural response of grass is to do that in response to heat and drought; it'll green up again just fine as we move into autumn with the cooler temps and more frequent rain. I don't water the grass at all during the spring, early summer, or fall. I may do so occasionally (maybe once a week) during the two hottest months but again that depends on rainfall. I have watered certain individual plants or planting beds though, during heat waves or if they are in full sun and haven't gotten any rain in a few days during July/August.

A tip: Ace Hardware sells their house brand Flexogen hose which is made for them by Gilmour. Same hose, same lifetime guarantee but if you buy the Ace branded one and it ever has a problem, you can do a quick return/replacement at your local Ace store as long as you kept the receipt. With a Gilmour hose you'd have to go through the manufacturer, they may or may not want you to send it back, yadda yadda. Much less hassle. The Ace branded one is a little less expensive than the Gilmour-branded one also. And if you sign up for Ace's loyalty card they will send you %-off coupons regularly. Stay away from the "Flexzilla" hoses; they are notorious for growing yucky mold on the outside (google "flexzilla hose mold"). Flexzilla and Flexogen are two entirely different things/brands.

If you have the typical Long Island 1/4 or 1/3 acre, a good chunk of which is taken up by house/garage/driveway (if not also a patio and/or pool, lol) there's not a lot of ground to have to cover via hose-and-sprinkler anyway. Most houses have a hose spigot on both the front and back walls. My current house is 62 ft long, including the garage (it's a small ranch) and I had two hose bibs added so that there is now four; each one is within 8 feet of each corner of the house.

Using quick-connect fittings (there are multiple manufacturers of these, like Gardena, Graber, etc etc) makes attachment/reattachment of hose and sprayers easy. Garden centers have them and of course Amazon:

https://www.gardena.com/int/products...hose-fittings/

I favor using one of the hose trolleys or carts to make moving the hose(s) easier. Personal preference is metal over plastic. Currently I have one that can hold 200 ft of hose even though I only have one 50 ft length plus two 25-footers. Got it at Home Depot. Years ago I had one of the four-wheel versions but it was a PITA to maneuver; I find the two-wheel type easier. I currently have a small garden shed which is where it spends the winter but normally I'd store it in the garage in winter. The plastic carts can eventually crack if left outside in full sun in the spring-summer-fall but the metal ones don't have that issue. Also, I'd rather buy four 25 ft hoses than one 100 ft one because (a) sometimes you only need that much length and (b) it's much cheaper to replace a 25 ft hose than a 100 ft one if it starts leaking etc. (But if you buy the Ace house brand Flexogen hose you won't need to worry about replacement cost)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-...0PRO/305518353

Or you can opt for one of the new auto-reel hoses like these. Numerous companies are making them nowadays. They are pricier but convenient, esp for storage, and some people just want a neater (hose-less, lol) look. Just be aware that less water flows through this type because the hose is only 1/2" diameter instead of the standard 5/8" ones that are sold separately.

https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Retr...ateway&sr=8-48

https://www.amazon.com/Hozelock-2401...ay&sr=8-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Hose-Reel-Adj...ateway&sr=8-47

If you choose drought-tolerant plants (for example daylilies can tolerate drought much better than, say, roses or phlox, because they grow from rhizomes that can store water) you can minimize plant-watering. Hydrangeas are notoriously thirsty shrubs and so are best planted in spots that don't get any afternoon sun. Etc etc.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 07-13-2019 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 7 days ago)

19,719 posts, read 20,515,530 times
For grass, 3x per week, anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour, depending on exposure.
That should keep it green. Water when it's cool, like at night or real early in the morning.
Unless you OCD over a lush green no weed lawn, all you need to do is water it. No chemicals or fertilizer, just water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island