Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 07:26 PM

72 posts, read 70,256 times

Advertisements

Hi all, so I saw some houses for sale that have a Northport address, but are just south of 25A. When looking at the map of Northport, it looks like 25A is the cut off and anything south is really East Northport. Do these homes have to pay village taxes also? Or are they considered Northport without having to pay the village tax? What extra services do village residents get by paying the extra village taxes? Just was a little confused, and wanted to know if these homes have to pay village taxes and if they are technically Northport. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Listen to gx89. Are you extremely wealthy? If you answered no to that question, run away from anything in a village. Ask yourself. LIGUY2000 do I really want to pay a 3rd layer of taxes to a village after school and general?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Yes, there are many areas with a Northport address that are outside of the village. And, not everything South of 25A is East Northport.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 AM

72 posts, read 70,256 times
Ok cool, so those homes avoid village tax. It confused me because the map outline for the town of Northport ends at 25A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Yes, there are many areas with a Northport address that are outside of the village. And, not everything South of 25A is East Northport.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGUY2000 View Post
Ok cool, so those homes avoid village tax. It confused me because the map outline for the town of Northport ends at 25A.
You may have looked at the map for the Village of Northport.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Quote:
Some parts of Northport that are outside of the village are also North of 25A. The entire east side of Waterside Avenue is one. Another, that is one of my favorites is the Crab Meadow area. If you want to go higher end, take a look at the homes off of Makamah Road.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:07 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as the Town of Northport. In that area, the Town is Huntington. The key to understanding all of this is to ignore mailing addresses. They mean nothing. Until you do that, you will be confused. The only thing you need to know about a house's location are the following: County, Town or City, Village (if any), and School District. Of these, School District will generally be the most important in terms of taxes, home value, and hometown identity.

Regarding a village tax, please view such in a proper context. Yes, in nearly all instances, homes in an incorporated village will pay more in property tax than similar homes nearby in unincorporated areas. However, the Village tax is not just added on top of the Town tax paid outside the village. Instead, your town tax will be less than the town tax paid by similar unincorporated homes, because you will not be paying the town for services that are provided by the village. For example, I believe Northport has its own police department. If so, you will be paying for this in your village taxes. But you will not be paying for the County police on your Town of Huntington tax bill. Same should be true for other services that a village may provide. The more the Village does, the higher the village tax bill, but the lower the town tax bill. Again, the overall costs are almost always more, but not as much as if the village tax were just layered on top of the town tax. So, instead of it viewing it as ($10 + $3) vs. $10, it is more like ($8 + $3) vs. $10. I find that in most areas, the difference does not scare people away from buying in a Village vs unincorporated if they otherwise like the Village house better.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
if looking in the area, also be aware of the ongoing litigation between LIPA and Huntington town regarding the assessment of the Northport power plant.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:27 PM

168 posts, read 289,440 times
Hi,

Living in East Northport close to the Northport border since 2017 and the area is really nice. Northport and East Northport share lots of stuff because the school district is the same, so there is a lot of connection at the community level. I think we have equal number of friends that live at one side or at the other side of 25A.

i couldn't help but thinking in Walter Greenspan (deceased forum member) that I'm sure is writing from heaven right now the differences between a hamlet and a villa...

Hipo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: