Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 4,086 times

Advertisements

We own a home on Long Island and are selling to move into a different area. We want some feedback on Bethpage, Franklin Square or Garden City South. We have two kids ages 3 and 1. Which is the better location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Don't know much about Bethpage. Northern Franklin Square (above the Turnpike) and Garden City South are practically the same. Both go to SD#17. GCS taxes are slightly higher. I personally find GCP somewhat less desirable than both areas, although it certainly isn't a bad area. They go to New Hyde Park schools.
Franklin Square, southern section, is in SD#13 and is showing a blurring of the division between it and North Valley Stream/Elmont area. Again, not a "bad" area, but changing enough to make me think twice about investing in an over the average priced home for the area.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:55 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,688 times
A few things about Bethpage -

Very nice area - and IMO has the best Shanghai style Chinese restaurant on LI, also has the best Cantonese style rest. as well.
Very good schools - either Bethpage Schools or Plainview-Old Bethpage Schools
Great football - Bethpage Schools
World class golf - right next door in Farmingdale
A cool "living" museum - Old Bethpage Village restoration
Interesting space travel history - home of the Lunar Excursion Module

High taxes and property, like everywhere on LI. Also a less convenient commute to NYC than either Franklin Square or GC.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
IMO, all very simular areas and you should be happy in all 3. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
A few things about Bethpage -

Very nice area - and IMO has the best Shanghai style Chinese restaurant on LI, also has the best Cantonese style rest. as well.
Very good schools - either Bethpage Schools or Plainview-Old Bethpage Schools
Great football - Bethpage Schools
World class golf - right next door in Farmingdale
A cool "living" museum - Old Bethpage Village restoration
Interesting space travel history - home of the Lunar Excursion Module

High taxes and property, like everywhere on LI. Also a less convenient commute to NYC than either Franklin Square or GC.
I agree...I would say Bethpage by far. Then FS, the GCP.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times
Absolutely Bethpage.
I just moved from there and miss it so much. (due to a job transfer)
Franklin square is nice, my best friend lives there and she likes it al well. But I think it is alot more congested.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 AM

70 posts, read 437,860 times
Default Plainview

What about Plainview? I am selling my house! Let me know if you are interested...great schools, great commuting...central location...Mint house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island