U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 PM
 
7,130 posts, read 8,272,495 times
Reputation: 7302

Advertisements

Are your kids in private school in Queens? Otherwise how are you getting them into Queens public schools while you live in Nassau? Additionally why buy a home in Nassau and pay massive school taxes and send your kids into NYC schools?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2019, 04:33 PM
 
11 posts, read 7,485 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Are your kids in private school in Queens? Otherwise how are you getting them into Queens public schools while you live in Nassau? Additionally why buy a home in Nassau and pay massive school taxes and send your kids into NYC schools?
The problem is that I won't have anyone to look after my kids, so my mother will still look after them while we work and since she lives in the same school zone as I am, I will use her address instead. I know it doesn't make sense to pay school taxes an not use the schools, but what choice do I have? I'm not spending money on a sitter and as far as I can see, Nassau schools don't offer after school programs. I'm all ears, if you know something I don't
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 05:08 PM
 
667 posts, read 480,756 times
Reputation: 941
That budget could get you something in a better town. Elmont isn’t really desirable. As someone else mentioned, VS would be a better option over Elmont. Look into East Meadow, Franklin square, Lynbrook, West Hempstead. All with the exception of East Meadow, are a tad bit further from Elmont, for a lot more IMO.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 05:36 PM
 
7,130 posts, read 8,272,495 times
Reputation: 7302
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasl46 View Post
The problem is that I won't have anyone to look after my kids, so my mother will still look after them while we work and since she lives in the same school zone as I am, I will use her address instead. I know it doesn't make sense to pay school taxes an not use the schools, but what choice do I have? I'm not spending money on a sitter and as far as I can see, Nassau schools don't offer after school programs. I'm all ears, if you know something I don't
A lot of Nassau schools do offer aftercare. Elmont also has a program with Gateway Youth Outreach to provide aftercare at its schools

https://gatewayyouthoutreach.weebly.com/

Franklin Square, the next town east of Elmont has an aftercare program until 6 pm
and a morning care program


After School Program - ACE - Franklin Square Union Free School District

You should be able to get a house for 500k in Franklin Square as well. The biggest difference between the towns is demographics as the schools show similar test grades. Franklin Square skews more white, but it has diversity as well.

Please note the link for Franklin Square is for school district 17. It and Elmont have their own elementary schools but belong to the Sewanhaka Central District for high school. Franklin Square goes mostly to Carey High School and Elmont goes to Elmont High School.
The southern part of Franklin Square belongs to school district 13. It is part of the Valley Stream Centralized School district. The elementary school is Willow and the high school is Valley Stream North.

The testing scores between districts 13, and 17 are pretty equal.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 07:23 PM
 
11 posts, read 7,485 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
A lot of Nassau schools do offer aftercare. Elmont also has a program with Gateway Youth Outreach to provide aftercare at its schools

https://gatewayyouthoutreach.weebly.com/

Franklin Square, the next town east of Elmont has an aftercare program until 6 pm
and a morning care program


After School Program - ACE - Franklin Square Union Free School District

You should be able to get a house for 500k in Franklin Square as well. The biggest difference between the towns is demographics as the schools show similar test grades. Franklin Square skews more white, but it has diversity as well.

Please note the link for Franklin Square is for school district 17. It and Elmont have their own elementary schools but belong to the Sewanhaka Central District for high school. Franklin Square goes mostly to Carey High School and Elmont goes to Elmont High School.
The southern part of Franklin Square belongs to school district 13. It is part of the Valley Stream Centralized School district. The elementary school is Willow and the high school is Valley Stream North.

The testing scores between districts 13, and 17 are pretty equal.
Interesting find, I will take a look at these programs. Thank you very much.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 06:40 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
22,121 posts, read 33,957,567 times
Reputation: 18772
You'll have a much better QOL - and so will your kids - if you buy a house in a decent district on LI and use the aftercare. yes, it will cost you more money. But your kids won't be leaving the house at the crack of dawn and getting home late, which is a real grind for everyone. Alos, your kids will make friends at their school - do you really want all your of your social life to revolve around a school in Queens? Also consider snow days where you may still have to go to work, or times when your kid may have to come home sick. It would be better to have mom on call for those days than schlepping your kids into Queens every day and have them pretend they live somewhere they don't. And don't discount the fact that your whole plan could go to crap if the Queens school district finds out you don't really live there. Many districts on LI make you show a copy of your deed to prove residency, if you rent a lease - as well as bank statements and utility bills. My kids are only 3 years apart and the amount of paperwork I had to provide for the first kids as opposed to the second was unreal. If the Queens district is the same you could have a problem.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 07:28 AM
 
30,339 posts, read 43,510,951 times
Reputation: 12866
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasl46 View Post
The problem is that I won't have anyone to look after my kids, so my mother will still look after them while we work and since she lives in the same school zone as I am, I will use her address instead. I know it doesn't make sense to pay school taxes an not use the schools, but what choice do I have? I'm not spending money on a sitter and as far as I can see, Nassau schools don't offer after school programs. I'm all ears, if you know something I don't
Take your mother to Elmont with you (hopefully that's an option).
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 AM
 
12,713 posts, read 17,130,053 times
Reputation: 8676
You may be able to get Lynbrook as well on a $500k budget
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 AM
 
149 posts, read 291,023 times
Reputation: 157
I grew up in Middle Village and still have many relatives there. Elmont is going to be a very big change from what you are used to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 05:39 AM
 
11 posts, read 7,485 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You'll have a much better QOL - and so will your kids - if you buy a house in a decent district on LI and use the aftercare. yes, it will cost you more money. But your kids won't be leaving the house at the crack of dawn and getting home late, which is a real grind for everyone. Alos, your kids will make friends at their school - do you really want all your of your social life to revolve around a school in Queens? Also consider snow days where you may still have to go to work, or times when your kid may have to come home sick. It would be better to have mom on call for those days than schlepping your kids into Queens every day and have them pretend they live somewhere they don't. And don't discount the fact that your whole plan could go to crap if the Queens school district finds out you don't really live there. Many districts on LI make you show a copy of your deed to prove residency, if you rent a lease - as well as bank statements and utility bills. My kids are only 3 years apart and the amount of paperwork I had to provide for the first kids as opposed to the second was unreal. If the Queens district is the same you could have a problem.
Queens is much easier when it comes to paper work, just a utility bill and you're good. But you're right about everything else. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Take your mother to Elmont with you (hopefully that's an option).
Not an option, my brother lives with them and he has a good job in Manhattan and he uses public transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You may be able to get Lynbrook as well on a $500k budget
I'll look into it, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
I grew up in Middle Village and still have many relatives there. Elmont is going to be a very big change from what you are used to.
I know, but middle village is next to impossible to afford for me, last time I saw a house for under $500k it have a nasty addition that you could tell it didn't belong to the house and a small backyard facing the cemetery lol.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top