U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 AM
 
2,759 posts, read 1,693,037 times
Reputation: 5002

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Normal as in small ish home and tax under 12k!!!!
I assume you also want a decent school district, and so my suggestion would be something in the Hauppauge school district, in either Smithtown or Hauppauge. Stay away from anything south of the Expressway though.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-281806360

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-281324003

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-280739099 (this one's taxes are under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-278783537 (also under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-276617880 (ditto)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-275308315 ($10K taxes)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-274469573 (under $8K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-269135770 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-267754344 (under $9K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281975506 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281590250

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281490574 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281233651 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-280991295 (under $10k)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-280811239 (under $9K)

There are at least a half dozen more houses for sale in Hauppauge/Hauppauge SD with taxes around $10K or less.

Sounds like you're not looking in the right place if you haven't been able to find any of these.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2019, 09:20 PM
 
555 posts, read 905,125 times
Reputation: 413
RE: Taxes are a function of the assessed value of the house and the tax rate.


Some would argue that taxes are a function of our so called elected officials corruption, incompetence, nepotism, misfeasance & nonfeasance,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 AM
 
2,737 posts, read 4,137,148 times
Reputation: 2154
As BBC posted, anything less than $10,000 is considered cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Status: "Stomp out liberalism" (set 6 days ago)
 
17,696 posts, read 17,831,972 times
Reputation: 13923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
As BBC posted, anything less than $10,000 is considered cheap.
Pretty much. And it's sickening.
I was paying around 11k for my 60x100 cape in Nassau 3 years ago. Poor bastards who bought it must be paying around 12k by now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 05:57 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 2,007,705 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I assume you also want a decent school district, and so my suggestion would be something in the Hauppauge school district, in either Smithtown or Hauppauge. Stay away from anything south of the Expressway though.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-281806360

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-281324003

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-280739099 (this one's taxes are under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-278783537 (also under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-276617880 (ditto)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-275308315 ($10K taxes)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-274469573 (under $8K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-269135770 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-267754344 (under $9K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281975506 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281590250

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281490574 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281233651 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-280991295 (under $10k)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-280811239 (under $9K)

There are at least a half dozen more houses for sale in Hauppauge/Hauppauge SD with taxes around $10K or less.

Sounds like you're not looking in the right place if you haven't been able to find any of these.

hi and thanks. My kids are in college, so i FINALLYYYYY dont need to worry about schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 05:58 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 2,007,705 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I assume you also want a decent school district, and so my suggestion would be something in the Hauppauge school district, in either Smithtown or Hauppauge. Stay away from anything south of the Expressway though.

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-281806360

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-281324003

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-280739099 (this one's taxes are under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-278783537 (also under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-276617880 (ditto)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-275308315 ($10K taxes)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-274469573 (under $8K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-269135770 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1787-267754344 (under $9K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281975506 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281590250

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281490574 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-281233651 (under $10K)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-280991295 (under $10k)

https://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale...1788-280811239 (under $9K)

There are at least a half dozen more houses for sale in Hauppauge/Hauppauge SD with taxes around $10K or less.

Sounds like you're not looking in the right place if you haven't been able to find any of these.
Also, looking in the 'right' place is subjective isn't it? Might be best not to assume or judge one another on CD eh?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 05:59 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 2,007,705 times
Reputation: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sstyle View Post
We live where I would consider the taxes to be normal. We live in a 2100sq ft split level and pay $9k in taxes without star. Our neighbors (400 houses in our neighborhood) all pay around the same, between $8k and $10k. Mid-Suffolk County.
Hoping for an hour commute LIRR midtown, thanks for the post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 06:38 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 1,693,037 times
Reputation: 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Also, looking in the 'right' place is subjective isn't it? Might be best not to assume or judge one another on CD eh?

I believe you're ascribing a meaning to my words that I did not intend.

I was using "the right place" in the sense of "areas that have the lower taxes that you're looking for."

Or to put it another way, if you misplace your eyeglasses and don't look for them in the room(s) you were recently in, you are not looking in the right place for them.

Likewise if you are looking for unusual plants for your garden and expect to find any at Home Depot or Lowes, you are not looking in the right place (because they only get their stock from the big contract growers like Monrovia, et al.) That's not a "judgment" of either Home Depot or anyone who shops there, it's just fact.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 10-12-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2019, 10:09 PM
 
40 posts, read 63,084 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
hi and thanks. My kids are in college, so i FINALLYYYYY dont need to worry about schools.

I still believe that you should still care about the school system. I haven't had a child in school in almost 20 years, but when we purchased our current home 3 years ago I made sure we were in a good school district. Yes, I am paying higher taxes to live here, but when I go to sell some time in the future, it will be easier to sell than a home in a not so good school district.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2019, 06:37 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
22,128 posts, read 33,986,038 times
Reputation: 18773
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsmah View Post
I still believe that you should still care about the school system. I haven't had a child in school in almost 20 years, but when we purchased our current home 3 years ago I made sure we were in a good school district. Yes, I am paying higher taxes to live here, but when I go to sell some time in the future, it will be easier to sell than a home in a not so good school district.
Meh. The savings he will get on the buying end he will give on the selling end. Thing is he’s looking for an hour commute to NYC so that limits the possibilities and puts him squarely in the highest taxed areas. The places with truly bad school districts will also be untenable options for living and some have really high taxes to boot (like Hempstead).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top