Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If you check back, you'll see that the 'across the street' reference was in relation to the doctor's office, which is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address).
After checking, and being thoroughly confused, I agree, you are right...AGAIN! I live here and I guess I don't know where I really live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM

416 posts, read 697,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
After checking, and being thoroughly confused, I agree, you are right...AGAIN! I live here and I guess I don't know where I really live.
And at the end of the day, that knowledge and $2.25 get you a subway ride in NYC.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Admitting that you don't know is the first step on your way to knowing.

If only NEWSDAY, NEWS12 and the other local media were willing to declare that they don't know as their first step on their way to knowing.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 AM

137 posts, read 356,659 times
Quote:
Massapequa High School is in Massapequa Park, just feet away from East Massapequa.
exactly. i think I made that clear in my post. is there an echo in here?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:52 PM

136 posts, read 492,577 times
Quote:
According to American FactFinder, here are the major population groups in the Hamlet of East Massapequa as per the 2000 Census:

19,565 Total population
15,812 White (80.8%)
2,415 Black or African American (12.3%)
This takes into account the portions of "East Massapequa" not in the Amityville school district. When you only take the portion of East Massapequa in the Amityville school district, these numbers look very different.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,292 times
Quote:
Isn't the Bar Harbor area/neighborhood in the Village of Massapequa Park?
Yes - but the people who live within the massapequa school district generally don't differentiate between whether they're in 'the park' or not - it's more or less treated as a mailing address and nothing more.

neighborhoods are judged more on the wealth of the residents. south of merrick road is the nicest and most expensive and the neighborhoods decrease in prestige going north past sunrise highway. north of sunrise near east lake elementary is probably the most blue collar, with the homes resembling more of what you see in lindenhurst. Even though bar harbour in massapequa park and old harbor green in massapequa have different zip codes, they share an elementary school, lie on top of one another, and generally house affluent white collar professionals.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldharbour View Post
Yes - but the people who live within the massapequa school district generally don't differentiate between whether they're in 'the park' or not - it's more or less treated as a mailing address and nothing more.
I attribute that to the failure of the Massapequa Union Free School District to teach correct local geography (the same can be said for almost every school district on Long Island).

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD View Post
I am thinking of moving to one of these areas.I am very confused about Lindenhurst ,are the middle school and high school really bad? I keep hearing mixed reviews .We like both areas. Seems you get a bit more for your dollar in Lindenhurst but I dont want to regret moving there because of the schools are not what we expect. Afraid Massapequa is so congested,homes are on top of each other. Any input would be appreciated.
Massapequa, no contest out of those 2. The homes are spread out much more than most areas. 60x100, 80x100, 100x100 is the norm, compared to 40x100 in most of nassau county.

Congestion? maybe fridays rush hour, otherwise very low congestion relative to the rest of the nassau.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Default hmm

Depends on what your looking for. Lindenhurst is average. I graduated from the high school . Its your avergaae middle class place. Massapequa is a little more higher end BUT my cousin is going to private school because massapequa has a bad drug problem which i guess is attributed to the higher pay of most of the people who live there.

Drive time between the two really shouldnt matter because depending on where in massapequa they arent that far apart.

Lindenhurst is not that bad. Its your typical middle class neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island