U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2020, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 19,314 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are looking to purchase a house however it is located on a some what busy road (IU Willets Road on the Roslyn side of town). The house is a corner lot and is located on the backside of Herricks high school and the road leads to the faculty parking lot of about 30-40 cars.

I've camped at the house at different times of day:
Rush hour times and school times are absolutely busy - teachers coming and going and parents dropping/picking up kids
Weekends its quieter but still sporadic cars passing by
At night it is pretty much quiet - maybe 1-5 cars per minute.

We like the house, layout, neighborhood, and schools.

The house does need updating and the price reflects that as well as being on a main road. I realize that since we are getting a discount we will be expected to give a discount on the house when it comes time to sell for being on a main road. Most likely updating the house we probably won't see a return on investment, but it is a very hot area, so who knows.

If anyone is familiar with this road and area can shed light, we are contemplating if we should make an offer on the house or not.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 PM

664 posts, read 529,901 times
I see the house and I think that the entire house needs to be updated. Wallpapers and carpet needs to be gone/replaced.
Kitchen and bathroom is seriously 1950s.
It'll probably be another 150k-200k to remodel that home.
I would offer at least 50k less than asking if you have no issues with the noise and not around during peak time.

I'm sure flippers are looking at that house and it should be sold at less than asking.
The county assess that property at 977k which is way too much. Too many houses around that area are sold at a higher price so it's adjusted to the market value.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
I see the house and I think that the entire house needs to be updated. Wallpapers and carpet needs to be gone/replaced.
Kitchen and bathroom is seriously 1950s.
It'll probably be another 150k-200k to remodel that home.
I would offer at least 50k less than asking if you have no issues with the noise and not around during peak time.

I'm sure flippers are looking at that house and it should be sold at less than asking.
The county assess that property at 977k which is way too much. Too many houses around that area are sold at a higher price so it's adjusted to the market value.
Yes the entire house needs an update. The surrounding houses which are updated usually sell for 850k++.
It’s just the main road I am having concerns with

Old 01-07-2020, 01:29 PM

11,991 posts, read 13,782,246 times
Sounds like you'll regret it after living there.
You should move on.

Don't be that person that moves in knowing the adverse conditions and then complains about it.
Like the people that move next to an airport and then complain about the air traffic and noise.
Uh, you knew the airport was there, what'd you expect? Know what i mean?

Old 01-07-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaken470 View Post
Yes the entire house needs an update. The surrounding houses which are updated usually sell for 850k++.
It’s just the main road I am having concerns with
Ask the neighbors on that street what they think of the noise.
I don't think noise is going to be that bad like Shelter Rock Rd.
There is no entry for bus so that's good.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Ask the neighbors on that street what they think of the noise.
I don't think noise is going to be that bad like Shelter Rock Rd.
There is no entry for bus so that's good.
Honestly it’s only bad during rush hour and school times, my wife and I won’t be at home anyway as we would be at work. I did see some school buses pass however.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:55 PM

2,773 posts, read 2,445,933 times
IU Willets Road is a busy road regardless of high school traffic. You will definitely see more than sporadic traffic on weekends. Not school traffic, just regular traffic. IU Willets Road is a main east-west road between the LIE on the north and Hillside Avenue on the south.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,065,018 times
It's a sacrifice to live in a very nice town with a great SD if your budget doesn't allow you to buy in a better location. The house will appreciate anyway because of the town and you will make your money back and then some. Only concerns are beside the main road;
1) you won't have a usable front entrance unless the front door is facing the side road
2) corner lots on busy road are subjective to being hit by cars. Don't let the kids play by the corner yard facing oncoming traffic.

I have a friend who bought a corner house on Roslyn road. Both items 1&2 applies to him. His house have appreciated nicely though.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Go for it. I would walk away if there are any foundation, roof issues during inspection.

Check recently sold homes though. Couple of good homes around that area sold for 800k ish which were not on willet
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...31113113_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31091288_zpid/

Old 01-07-2020, 02:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,040,388 times
The old line about real estate is that only three things matter - location, location, and location.

Only you can decide if this location will work for you, and if the price is right.

When selling, it is not so much an issue of a "discount" on the selling price. The issue is a smaller potential pool of buyers. That doesn't mean you won't be able to sell or that you can't get a good price. It only means that your home may be on the market longer waiting for the "right" buyer to come along. Not so much a problem in a hot market. The wait can be long in a soft market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or