Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 01:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov...tress-list.pdf

The big surprise for me was the Wantagh School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 02:58 PM

155 posts, read 101,003 times
Wantagh school district is in moderate Financial stress

Nassau County itself, Long Beach, and the town of Oyster Bay are in serious financial condition.

I've read tons of S&P reports for municipalities. My perception is that the rating agencies are way behind the curve in assessing Municipal Bond risk. Were interest rates not so low and we're credit ratings not so high places like Long Beach and Nassau County would have to return about twice or even three times the current yield that they do. At 7% or even 4.5% these municipalities would blow up. In my lifetime interest rates were much higher than they are now by more than 10%. So the insolvency is being masked by credit bureaus and low interest rates.

In my neck of the woods folks are wary of CDD fees. There are two components of CDD fees one is the capital cost of infrastructure for building new areas and the other component is recurring maintenance. In Nassau County New construction or higher density of occupancy has no offset other than General Revenue. So should Nassau County become more dense like Queens there is additional stress on the cost of Capital Improvements and maintenance that can only be reflected by higher tax rates.

when you buy a house you're also buying the accumulated debt and solvency or the lack thereof of the municipality

People just don't think too deeply about the stuff until it blows up. You can literally buy mansion in a place like Cleveland for pennies but the tax rate applied onset house will be astronomical as a percentage of value. That is my prognosis for Long Island. The state and County controller has much told you this much.

In my neck of the woods S&P has negative comments about my part of Florida's ability to find commercial Revenue. The primary source of public Revenue generation in my part of Florida is residential, not commercial, and not Industrial. That same footnote is missing from the Long Island reports that I've read. Additionally the rating of my part of Florida and Long Island is comprable we just make any kind of sense at all. So basically Long Island municipalities have access and the ability to roll credit when really a diligent investor not touch it with a ten-foot pole.

So who is buying Nassau County? My guess is retirement funds are chock-full of these things. So the teachers that are getting pensions are totally invested in junk Nassau County paper it does not return enough yields to cover the risk.

I mention this because a house price is the function a its recurring payment. The cost to carry a house on Long Island has to go up to the value of the house has to go down

Old 01-26-2020, 03:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandtireddad View Post
Wantagh school district is in moderate Financial stress

Nassau County itself, Long Beach, and the town of Oyster Bay are in serious financial condition.

I've read tons of S&P reports for municipalities. My perception is that the rating agencies are way behind the curve in assessing Municipal Bond risk. Were interest rates not so low and we're credit ratings not so high places like Long Beach and Nassau County would have to return about twice or even three times the current yield that they do. At 7% or even 4.5% these municipalities would blow up. In my lifetime interest rates were much higher than they are now by more than 10%. So the insolvency is being masked by credit bureaus and low interest rates.

In my neck of the woods folks are wary of CDD fees. There are two components of CDD fees one is the capital cost of infrastructure for building new areas and the other component is recurring maintenance. In Nassau County New construction or higher density of occupancy has no offset other than General Revenue. So should Nassau County become more dense like Queens there is additional stress on the cost of Capital Improvements and maintenance that can only be reflected by higher tax rates.

when you buy a house you're also buying the accumulated debt and solvency or the lack thereof of the municipality

People just don't think too deeply about the stuff until it blows up. You can literally buy mansion in a place like Cleveland for pennies but the tax rate applied onset house will be astronomical as a percentage of value. That is my prognosis for Long Island. The state and County controller has much told you this much.

In my neck of the woods S&P has negative comments about my part of Florida's ability to find commercial Revenue. The primary source of public Revenue generation in my part of Florida is residential, not commercial, and not Industrial. That same footnote is missing from the Long Island reports that I've read. Additionally the rating of my part of Florida and Long Island is comprable we just make any kind of sense at all. So basically Long Island municipalities have access and the ability to roll credit when really a diligent investor not touch it with a ten-foot pole.

So who is buying Nassau County? My guess is retirement funds are chock-full of these things. So the teachers that are getting pensions are totally invested in junk Nassau County paper it does not return enough yields to cover the risk.

I mention this because a house price is the function a its recurring payment. The cost to carry a house on Long Island has to go up to the value of the house has to go down
Cleveland lol

Old 01-26-2020, 04:53 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Cleveland lol

I was unexpectedly offered a job in Cleveland (as a consultant) last year. It took me a few moments to construct an extremely polite way to say NFW.

One of the offerer's selling points was the "but you can get so much more house for the money here" LOL

Old 01-26-2020, 05:00 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Cleveland lol
Cleveland rules!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

Old 01-26-2020, 07:55 PM

450 posts, read 385,563 times
How do you read that chart. Some places have 0's in Fiscal Scores and random Environmental Score.

Fiscal Stress Monitoring System talks about it but doesn't mention what scores correlate to. Does this mean 0 is in good financial health? It's hard to believe Cold Spring Harbor is in worse shape compared to Hauppauge?
Here is Wantagh, Oyster Bay, Deer Park compared top school districts:

Old 01-27-2020, 06:20 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I was unexpectedly offered a job in Cleveland (as a consultant) last year. It took me a few moments to construct an extremely polite way to say NFW.

One of the offerer's selling points was the "but you can get so much more house for the money here" LOL
Until you have to live in Cleveland ...

Wonder how they’re liking those bagels out in OH lmao

Old 01-27-2020, 05:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
LOL.... its high time parents realize they are paying college like tuition starting Kindergarten. Frankly, I don't think there is a big difference in the teaching capabilities of the teachers in the various school districts, mostly it's the students who make the difference.

Most successful students take classes "outside" the school too, disposable income baby !!

Old 01-27-2020, 08:47 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Until you have to live in Cleveland ...

Wonder how they’re liking those bagels out in OH lmao
I would pick another city for this example. Cleveland has become very nice within the past few years. The pizza is lousy, but they do have people who know how to boil a decent bagel and the beaches aren't half bad either, .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island