U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 08:44 PM

399 posts, read 303,020 times

Advertisements

Merrick Road as been destroyed by road work, and it looks so low class, considering your right by the water, the road is so poorly maintained. When they do the work they never pave over it to fix it, instead they add a band aid that just creates a speed bump pot hole
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 09:10 PM

469 posts, read 806,496 times
It's typical of the State, 107 (hicksville rd) thru massapequa has been like that for years and no one cares. Try to get a permit for a replacement of an existing curb cut on a state road and they will have you replacing sidewalks and landscaping before they will approve it.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:27 AM

5,306 posts, read 11,044,400 times
The roads on LI took a beating this winter. The swing in temps just completely wrecked them. They would be in much better shape if the temps would just get below freezing and stay there.

But it’s 50+ right now in March, I’m not complaining.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:26 AM

9,673 posts, read 12,292,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The roads on LI took a beating this winter. The swing in temps just completely wrecked them. They would be in much better shape if the temps would just get below freezing and stay there.

But it’s 50+ right now in March, I’m not complaining.
I am not sure it is this year that is creating it as opposed to years past. The only way to fix a road properly is to use a hot patch, they typically use a cold patch. Cold patch = fill in just the hole. Hot patch = square the hole off and fill in. Using cold patches the water and road salt get right back in and the hole actually increases in size as time goes by.

Roslyn Road has been like Beirut for several years and nothing is done. I will say they have repacked a portion of it.....because they had to replace the gas lines, not because of the condition of the road. The entrance on to the Northern State from I.U. Willets Road was littered with hub caps for a long time due to the degradation of the entrance ramp. Road all over LI have suffered because of budget cuts.

The only way around this is write, call, email or text the county and keep copies of all correspondence. Election time will be here and if they get a ground swell of complaints and no action, Snoozeday will be approached and they will make an attempt to fix at least some roads.

I live in a private community and we just spent $54000 for asphalt repair, it isn't cheap if done correctly, and with road salt and traffic it will degrade a lot faster than ours will where I live now.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 AM

New York State Route 27A is a state highway extending from Massapequa in Nassau County to Oakdale in Suffolk County on Long Island, New York, in the United States. Its two most prominent components are Merrick Road and Montauk Highway. Wikipedia

I learn something every day, I thought the entire length was state but only Massapequa to Oakdale

Old 03-07-2020, 10:59 PM

5,443 posts, read 5,362,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
New York State Route 27A is a state highway extending from Massapequa in Nassau County to Oakdale in Suffolk County on Long Island, New York, in the United States. Its two most prominent components are Merrick Road and Montauk Highway. Wikipedia

I learn something every day, I thought the entire length was state but only Massapequa to Oakdale
More exactly:

In Queens, it's called Merrick Blvd, and is maintained by NY City.

In Nassau County, it's called Merrick Rd, and is maintained by Nassau County. The section in Massapequa, between Carman Mill Rd and the Suffolk County line, is signed as NY 27A, but it's actually maintained by the county, not the state. There are several other places on Long Island where a road is signed as a state route but maintained by a county or village. (and all state routes in NY City are maintained by the city unless they are an expressway).

In Suffolk County, it's signed as NY 27A and maintained by NY State between the Nassau County line and Oakdale. I believe the section in the Village of Amityville is still called Merrick Rd, but the rest is called Montauk Hwy.

From Oakdale to the Patchogue River (east of Waverly Ave), it's signed as CR 85 and maintained by Suffolk County.

From the Patchogue River to the Patchogue village line (east of NY 112), it is maintained by the Village of Patchogue and does not carry a numbered route.

From the Patchogue village line to Knoll Rd in Shinnecock Hills, it is signed as CR 80 and maintained by Suffolk County.

From Knoll Rd to the Southampton Village line, the road is again maintained by NY State. It does not have a signed state route, but it is unsigned reference route NY 900W. The mileage markers, however, label it as NY 27A.

From the Southampton Village Line to CR 39A, it is maintained by the Village of Southampton and does not carry a numbered route.

From CR 39A to Montauk Point, it's signed as NY 27 and again maintained by NY State.

The one thing that I am not sure about is, whether the section through Connetquot State Park is maintained by NY State (as NY 27A) or by Suffolk County (as CR 85). The signage seems ambiguous.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:05 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,703,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
the roads on li took a beating this winter. The swing in temps just completely wrecked them. They would be in much better shape if the temps would just get below freezing and stay there.

But it’s 50+ right now in march, i’m not complaining.
there was no snow!

Old 03-09-2020, 04:55 PM

5,306 posts, read 11,044,400 times
Who said anything about snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
there was no snow!

Old 03-10-2020, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 1,927 times
Worse is the Northern SP west of Albertson in both directions, it's barely drive-able..and the million patches make it worse..you would think with some of the highest taxes in the country the infrastructure would be in better shape...

Old 03-10-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobData View Post
Worse is the Northern SP west of Albertson in both directions, it's barely drive-able..and the million patches make it worse..you would think with some of the highest taxes in the country the infrastructure would be in better shape...

With a lot of the money they built us some new bridges so we can all get out of here before the rest of the Island goes under Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island